Building The History Of Unicycling

Gang,

Help Please!

Just One Wheel Inc is just a few months away from launching our 5,000sq ft Unicycle Training, Balance & Party Center here in L.I. NY. (first in the country)
We are looking for any and all the donated material we could get to help demonstrate where unicycling started as well as the journey to where it is now (it’s history from the Penny Farthing on).
All material used throughout the facility (on walls, from celling, etc) will get properly credited by having the name of the person who donated it readily visible. From unicycles to photos, all are important.
You’ll always have a place to come check out your goodies.

This is all in an effort to develop and weave this amazing sport into the mainstream.

Thanks in advance,

Adam
adam@justonewheel.com
516-702-9807

P.S. until our occupancy, July 1st, materials can be sent to:

Just One Wheel Inc
26 Laurel Pl
Bethpage N.Y 11714

Please call or email with any questions and/or ideas.

Thank You

Congrats with your exciting project! I am all for spreading the word positively about our awesome sport, mainly as a way to dispel old stereotypes, and educate people about the sport, and how far it has progressed. But I would also say that I hope Unicycling never becomes “mainstream”!

The fact that is isn’t, is part of the reason why I love it so much! And although more and more people have joined our one-wheel ranks, with the numbers likely to grow by leaps and bounds with each passing year, I highly doubt that it will ever become mainstream, at least compared to b*kes! If anything, the public’s perception of unicycling will continue to improve. :slight_smile:

Don’t worry, unicycling is not going to become mainstream. Adam just wants to know if it can become bill-paying! :slight_smile: And how great would that be? I wish you much luck with the project.

Long Island has a bunch of unicycling history. The guy who started the Unicycling Society of America, Bill Jenack, did it from his home in Westbury. Before that, he had the Unicyclists Association of America, which was kind of an oldschool mailing list of communications he’d send out to his snailmail network of uni enthusiasts. He also produced the USA Newsletter (then called “Newsletter”) from 1974-77 also from Westbury, and set the standard for future generations of that publication.

Bill Jenack passed away in 1982, but his legacy lives on. His son JeanPaul Jenack started the National Circus Project, an arts-in-education organization, in the mid-80s and for many years it was based out of that same Westbury home. Now it’s moved down the street.

There is probably a wealth of historical uni stuff still in the Jenack house, if JeanPaul is in town to access it. They mostly live in Florida now, I think. If you contact the National Circus Project you can request to see if they have any old photos, documents or other stuff you might be able to come by and pick up sometime. It might be a nice connection to make.

bump!