Building a true, 700c road uni

With a 2" width, 28" is actually a pretty accurate designation - for a 29er you should really have a slightly larger tyre. Of course these all fit on a 700c diameter rim, though as discussed on this thread, rim width is also important with different tyre widths.

Strangely enough if you look at the traditional sizing, MuniAddict’s choice of 38mm tyre is pretty much the same as the original size tyre fitted to a 700c rim, as it will give very close to a 700mm rolling diameter. More on this at Tire Sizing Systems - though he does appear to be missing 787 from his ISO tyre sizes :wink:

I was assuming that I could mount a 40mm wide tire on a 24mm wide rim, no problem, even though a popular sizing chart says that’s too large of a tire for that rim size, even if that was the inside width! They do say that many people go wider or narrower than what the chart specifies, but the rim width specs I’ve been seeing reflect the outside width. The chart specifies inside rim diameter is used for sizing. If true, than the Velocity Dyad, which is 24mm outside width, would be closer to 19-20mm inside width. So according to the chart, the widest tire suggested would only be 25-32mm. That just doesn’t seem right. There are wider 700c rims, but all are disc-only rims, which I don’t want, or too heavy for the setup I prefer.

Terryu, side wall design determines both tire capacity (ID) and rim width (OD), so a rim that does not have a brakin surface can have a wider ID relative to it’s OD.

Stans advertises their rims as having some design that allows for a wider tire, but honestly it’s the OD at the rim edge that determines how the tire will look on the rim. Like running a Duro 3" on a 65mm LM, fat rims spread out the tire, increasing the volume and flattening the tread profile.

I’ve had no problems with a 45mm. I probably wouldn’t go much over 2".

Just to clarify, you’ve run a 45mm wide tire on a Dyad? If so, then I should be more than good to go with a 40mm, which is the widest I have in mind.

You’re not reading the chart properly - according to that a 40mm tyre is actually too narrow for a 24mm internal rim! It actually suggests that a 40mm tyre is fine on a 19, 21 or 23mm internal width rim - a 24mm external rim will be towards the wide end of that range.

Though of course that chart is only a guideline - as mentioned, plenty of MTB riders put 2.1" tyres on 19mm internal rims, and the width of standard uni rims doesn’t even make it onto the chart!

Lol, so the “X’d” areas are the suggested sizes?! I thought the “X’s” in the chart meant NOT advisable. But it just seems crazy to say that a tire (40mm) which is almost TWICE the width of a rim (24mm) would be considered too small. That’s weird!

Yep, I’m using a Resist Nomad 700x45 on a Velocity Dyad. I think the tire suits the rim well.

I’ve been looking everywhere for road tires in that size range, but never saw that one! It seems to be VERY reasonably priced too! Do you know the total weight of your uni? Sure looks light! And what kind of riding do you use it for most, distance, speed, climbing, or a mix of all that?

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered the Dyad and Resist Nomad 700 x 45! I got the all-black tire since they were out of the one tan sidewall. I’m looking forward to getting this wheel built and putting it to the test! :smiley:

My tire measures 43mm wide on the dyad and weighs about 540g. The whole uni weighs 11lbs with a steel Qu-Ax frame. Your KH frame should drop 1lb or so off the total weight.

I built it for riding around the neighborhood, quick trips to the store; mostly short rides where I’ll give up some of the speed and comfort of the 36" for a smaller footprint. The 114mm cranks spin quickly but give plenty of control for that sort of riding and are even useable for brief off-road sections.

If I ever do a hill climb event, I’d probably use this uni with some longer cranks.

Yeah I love the lightweight quax cranks and have the same 114’s which I use for the ride back down after long climbs. But the climbs I’ve been doing are in the 15-19% grade range, and are anything but short, and while 150’s might be sufficient, I find the lightweight nimbus alloy 165’s to be the perfect length for those monster climbs. Maybe when I get the new lighter wheelbuild, I’ll go back to 150’s. 114’s are also what I have on my 36er.

Just got back from my LBS and they did a fantastic wheelbuild! While I was there, I used my Scott Wallis Maggie extenders - which were originally used to allow the brake to fit the 65mm wide LM rim - and simply reversed them to bring the brake pads close enough for the new 24mm wide Velocity rim. Worked like a charm, even though the crossover is huge now, lol!

I also modified by KH T-handle to fit my SW CF base, by drilling two new holes into the brackets, so it would line up with the threaded inserts in the base, where the death grip also fits. Now I have both DG and T-handle.

Total weight of my new 29er climbing machine, 11.6 pounds! Can’t wait to take her out for the first climb! :smiley:

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

Nice!

Very cool. Better climber than the one you used to do that scary steep Fargo Hill challenge race thing?

Probably doable, but the my 24" is still easier to climb Fargo with since powerstrokes comes around much sooner than a 29er, so there’s less chance of stalling out. Fargo is a very uncommon anomaly, since most of the steeper roads and residential streets are less than half Fargo’s 33% grade, and therefore well suited to a 29er.

Isnt it really a 28 now not a 29?

In some countries, mainly in Continental Europe, ISO 622 mm (700c/29er) wheels are commonly called 28" wheels or “28 Incher”

My wheel with the same rim/tire measures 28.5" so technically it’s not quite a 29er.

And my nimby 26er Oregon is a lot closer in size to a 29er! :stuck_out_tongue: