Building a true, 700c road uni

I guess it depends on what you have on hand and what you would need to buy to complete the build.

So you already have a hub, presumably cranks as well? If so you you’d just need bearing adapter rings for your ISIS frame. That’s a lot cheaper than the cost of getting a new ISIS hub. You could even make your own rings, they are just 1mm thick shims than encircle the bearing. As long as the cranks are a good length for you on that wheel then interchangeability with your other unicycles is moot.

If you need spokes for this build check out Wheel Fanatyk. They sell Wheelsmith stainless spokes super cheap. I found them when I was shopping around for parts for my 700c wheel.

BTW, regarding your earlier question about 26" frames with the Nomad 45c tire; My wheel has a 2.0 Marathon Supreme on it and it also just fits a Nimbus 26" Muni frame, maybe 3mm of crown clearance.

Martin

All i need parts wise is a set of square taper cranks or a ISIS hub i got spokes rim and tire that will work right now

ISIS is the way to go but you probably already know that :stuck_out_tongue:

Whilst I’m here I might as well ask if anyone has seen a 48hole 700c rim that you can get in the UK - a google search yeilded no results.

I just built a pair of tandem wheels with Alex G6000 48h rims. They are a road rim, and a bit wider than normal, but close to the dyad with a deeper v section. My first thoughts are that it would be a strong and stiff uni rim. Tandems.co.UK has them on their site. The dyad is made in a 48 h version, but I can’t say where you could find it. I would look at tandem suppliers.

Fwiw I found my rims under the “Leader” brand and got them for $25 all said and done for two rims shipped. You may get lucky looking at shops that cater to the fixie crowd. I know that my rims were being marketed to them.

Next time I’m near a good bike shop I’ll have to have a look out for tandem rims. TBH though, I might just splash out on a 36h hub, some long cranks, an MTX 33 (sun ringle) and build a lighweight 700c muni which will probably be more use to me.

If you have a 48h hub you can build with a 32h rim and you have a huge choice. That’s what I would do in the same situation. See this link.

rigida sputnik used for touring bike and tandem…

You can build a 32h rim onto a 36h hub, just miss 2 holes on each side

Yes you can do it, but it’s not a straightforward build. 32 on a 48 is much more like a standard wheel build, and the stress from the wheel is distributed evenly around the hub.

Also available in the UK

I did think about 32h but don’t think it’ll be strong enough for what I want (Light/medium muni and road). I’ll have to have a look at that thread…

32h will be strong enough for Muni and road, I use 32h for Street and Muni on my 24" built on a 48h hub, I’m also riding 32h on my Trials uni which gets beat up. There’s not a big difference of strength between 32 and 36, I went with 32h because I have a better choice of rims.

+1 jaco, I have a 32 hole trials wheel that sees tons of abuse and has stood up fine

Too narrow for me, but I’ll keep looking.

Mind, 19/20" wheels are inherently stronger due to their diminutive size.

Wouldn’t a 32h rim to 48h hub build require two spoke lengths though?

A couple people on the forum that have done this said they only used one size spoke. I just couldn’t get that to work on my build and ended up with a 3mm differential. My build consisted of:

48h UDC Chromoly Hub (Listed as “Wide Flange” on the UDC.UK calculator)
700c Sun Rhyno Lite 32h rim (612 erd)
16 297mm spokes
16 294mm spokes
32 Sapim Polyax 14mm brass nipples

The UDC.UK spoke calculator called for 296.52mm spokes for that hub and rim in 32 3x, I rounded up to 297 though I guess I probably should have rounded down to 296 (& 293)

When I tried building the wheel with the default size half of the spoke nipples would bottom out on the spoke a couple of millimeters above the rim.

Martin

How did you work out the lenghts of the spokes and what spokes go where? I had a look around some forums and I couldn’t find any instructions anywhere.

Partially through experimentation, re-lacing the wheel several times with one size of spoke, and then measuring the hole spacing in the hub.

No matter how I built the wheel half of the spokes were always too long or too short by several millimeters.

The difference between normal spoke length and “odd” spoke spoke length is basically half the distance between two adjacent spoke holes, measured center to center, on your 48h rim. If you are going to go with a half normal, half short spoke build you can get a reasonably accurate secondary spoke length by re-running your spoke calculator for 48 4x, instead of 32 3x. Using this example for my build the calculator shows 296.52 for 32 3x and 293.13 for 48 4x. As I said before I probably should have rounded down to 296/293 instead of up. My initial experimentation was done with just 296mm spokes and I was concerned they were going to come up short for the normal spoke length. So I rounded up to 297 and subtracted 3mm for the other spokes. They came up a tad long, but still worked.

Each flange will use both sizes of spokes. All the spokes going one direction, on one flange, will be size “A”. All the spokes going the other direction, on the same flange, will be size “B”. The sizes will be reversed on the opposite flange if you are building a symmetrical wheel (all inbound spokes on both flanges going the same direction.)

I don’t have my notebook in front of me but I am pretty sure this is the order in which I built my wheel.

Right side inbound (trailing) 294
Left side inbound (trailing) 297
Right side outbound (leading) 297
Left side outbound (leading) 294

Because of the offset of the holes in the rim the very first spoke went into the second hole away from the valve. If you are starting in the first hole you would probably need to reverse the spoke lengths.

When I started the trailing spokes on the left side of the hub I used the hole closest to the right side trailing spoke that was still behind it. The same hole I would have used in a normal 48h build. (This placement determines the pattern of long/short leading/trailing spokes on each flange. If you skip a hole all the spoke lengths trade places.)

When you start lacing your outboud spokes (you can start on either side as long as you are using the correct spoke length for that side) use the first hole that is under the trailing spoke. This puts the extra holes on the flange between each pair of crossing spokes. Just like in this picture. (This placement determines the length of the “odd” spoke in relation to the normal spoke. If you separate adjacent crossing spokes with the extra hub hole then the “odd” spokes have to be longer than the normal spokes.)

If all this doesn’t make sense then the best way to see which spokes will be long or short is to lace up a wheel. You can save time by only using half the spokes. Take 16 normal, 32h 3x length, spokes and build up your wheel skipping every other spoke. You want to end up with 4 clusters of 4 spokes evenly spaced around the wheel, the first cluster should be on one side of the valve hole, not spanning it. Each cluster of spokes will have a pair that are too long or too short. The “odd” spokes will be on opposite flanges and going in opposite directions. It could be either the inner pair or the outer pair depending on how you build the wheel.

Martin

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished:
I think I’ll just buy a new hub and save myself the hassle. For the sake of 30 quid I might as well use all one spoke size for convenience.

Thanks anyway though!

:smiley: Yeah, it was a bit of a pain. Having sussed out the details, I am confident I could now do a other 32h rim/48h hub builds readily. But, even so, I don’t know that I would bother. Unless you enjoy the process of building the wheel, and the potential problem solving, then I’d stick with matching parts. Especially if you are buying any of those parts new.

I recently read another thread claiming that UDC is going to come out with more 32h hubs. The new Oregon, due out in a few months, is likely to come with a 32h disc hub. Perhaps we will soon see a 32h cotterless hub as well.

Martin

I guess the Flatfish NNC would work, GizmoDuck rode 50 kilometres on a 24"/125mm uni without dismounts after getting one of those bases.