Building a new coker for under $300.

Does anyone know how fast the shipping usually is from coker?

I’v only ordered parts from Coker, never a unicycle. Each time it took about 3 weeks to get my shipments. I’m in CA so I don’t know if you will get it in 3 weeks or less. Both times took way too long. They would apologize for the delay. I hope they have your unicycle in stock and send it right away.

Just a wheelset… But Yeah. I hope it doesnt take three weeks. I want to ride it now :stuck_out_tongue:

is there a special way to put a 29" tire on a 36" wheel? I can get it to stretch out that much but I cant get it big enough to stay in the tire. I end up with it wanting to bulge out on the sides. Do I just stretch it more? Will it get there?

SpaceFmK I heard something about rubbing baby powder on it or something, not too sure though…

What size seat post fits in the Titan frame?

I used the baby powder… I just dont know if it actually stretches to the 36" size and stays there…

And it uses the 25.4 mm seatpost.

For the 29" tube you have it sort of tight against the inside of the rim instead of the tire when installing. It makes it much easier to pinch the tube when installing the second bead but the weight loss is worth it.

I put one bead of the tire on the rim. Once I get the valve into the valve hole I fit the tube over the rim, and then inflate it just a little. Then I start at the valve and work the other bead of the tire onto the rim being careful not to pinch the tube. It seems to go much easier than it sounds. I think the little air in the tube helps the tube stay inside the tire, and not pinch between the tire and rim.

The last bit is the trickiest, because you can’t see the inside of the tire while you install. Don’t use any tools to get the tire on, and if you have to deflate the tube at the end try not to take it all of the way down.

I then inflate it a little so that it fills the tire, but so that I can squeeze the sidewalls together all of the way around the wheel to see if I have any tube showing. You shouldn’t see any tube it should all be inside the tire. The one place I usually have problems is at the valve stem. As luck would have it it’s also the easiest to remedy; just push the valve stem into the rim and pull it out again.

Once I’m satisfied that the tube is sitting nicely inside the tire I inflate up to pressure.

I’m going to have to knock on wood right now, but doing it this way I haven’t ever had one blow off, or puncture from installation. Oh well, now I’m jinxed.

Worked very well… It was much easier than it sounded actually.

Finnaly had my first ride on my 36er last night around midnight :smiley:
It went amazing. Kinda strange at first but it is so fun to ride.
Thank you all so much for the advice and help. I really appreciate it a lot.

It really is a blast isn’t it. Glad you got it up and running.

hey brian can you post a pic of you uni?

Given this thread is a couple of years old, and most of the links are now broken I wonder what current pricing for an assemble your own 36 would be now?

Did not find a price on the Coker website for their wheelset + bearings

Frame Still $70
http://www.unicycle.com/nimbus-titan-36-inch-frame.html

Coker Wheelset - Pricing no longer online that I could find

Cranks $15
http://www.unicycle.com/united-cotterless-cranks-2559.html

Basic 36 tire $82 at UDC
http://www.unicycle.com/nimbus-nightrider-36-inch-tire.html

Saddle Basic Nimbus $50 Basic KH $80

Pedals

Unfortunately with the Coker wheel out of the picture the best option for those on a budget would be just to buy the cheapest 36 from their local UDC. I honestly thing the $110 wheels were a pricing error and the rims only were supposed to be sold at that price.

If you were really handy you could cut up some 26 or 29" bike rims, unbend them a bit, then re-pin them to 787 BSD. Then make your own double ended “V” spokes from 1.8 mm wire. I would like to do that some day for a big wheel but you won’t save any money if you need to buy tools to make it happen.

Coker reports they do not offer the wheel set without frame :…(

Thank you for contacting us at Coker Cycle. At this time we do not offer the wheel set without frame.You may try a general internet search to see who may be producing the rim and tire sets as stand alone at this time.

Thank you
Richard Stephens
Coker Cycle Web Support

1317 Chestnut Street
Chattanooga, TN 37402
Toll Free: 1-800-251-6336
Direct: 423-648-8555
Fax: 423-756-5607
support@coker.com

No, but they will sell you a whole unicycle for $440 shipped. Not a bad deal.