Buckled my rim

I’m 48kg and I buckled my rim. What’s really scary is I wouldn’t of hopped off anything larger than 30 inches or about 75cm. It’s still ridable but I’m nothing like the sort of weight I’m gonna be when I’m an adult, and I’m doing nothing like the sort of drops I wanna be doing.

I’m getting scared about breaking things on my unicycle. Any advice… I can’t spend an excessive amount of money but would a new rim help and how much should I be spending on one?

What kind of rim is it that you buckled? What kind of unicycle? What were you trying to do when this happened?

sounds like you go a “bike shop” uni bad luck does not sound like ur uni is up to trials, i would save up for a trials chap!
ben

Visit unicycles.com.au! We all have to start off with basic unis. You should be happy that it’s not tacoed - that’s what eventually happened to mine. :slight_smile: When I was in the same position as you are now I decided that it wasn’t worth buying a new rim and then having to spend the time (or in most people’s cases the money) having it laced up. This is a good time to work on your technique. Have you done any seat out drops yet? For me it was actually the cranks that went first. They were cheap and easy to replace though. Gary has plenty of spares.

Good luck,
Andrew

I would advise buying a trials uni, like one of these:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=618
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=587

It’ll depend on how much you want to spend, of course.

Whoa… Those are kind of expensive… I’ve only had my unicycle for 2 months now… Anyway as I said the biggest drops I’ve done were about 30 inches or 75cm. Nothing like what other people do.

I think it must of been a bad quality rim. I’ll look into getting a good quality one, I imagine it’s worth the money? Nothing else has really gone wrong on my unicycle apart from the plastic pedals taking a beating, but I’m sure I just need some good ones.

Although it was disturbing one time when my friend was riding along and the nut that was holding the crank to my unicycle fell off and started rolling down the street. Entertaining as it was I quickly told him to get off. But I just tightened that up and it’s fine, maybe it wasn’t put on correctly.

Anyway… should I just get a new rim? And if so how much am I looking spending? The rims on unicycle.com are like $40 US.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Robbie.

you might want to start roling out of your drop’s as well that could be half of your problems

It all depends what sort of stuff you want to do doing but if you’re planning on getting into more and more trials but don’t want to spend much maybe you could go for an Alex DX-32 19" rims with a Monty trials tyre. They’re availalbe from unicycles.com.au. Actually come to think of it that might still be a bit more expensive than what you wanted. For a while I ran a Maxxis Max Daddy 20x2.25" tyre. Maybe you could get one of those (about $30 Australian) and a slightly better rim. I personally wouldn’t go spending too much on the rim because you’ll probably eventually want to go all out and get a proper trials uni and the hub and cranks a likely to bend before the new rim that you get even if it’s only slightly better than the original.

That’s what I think anyway.

Andrew

Does anyone know a good post or site that might tell me the way I’m meant to roll out of drops? I don’t really know much about it. In Under No Influence and stuff they do big drops and it doesn’t look like they are ‘rolling out of it’ but I’m not much of a judge. But yeah, if anyone can tell me or direct me to a good place to learn how to do it… please tell me.

Thanks in advance, Robbie.

If you are doing drops over 1.5 or 2 feet regularly, then you probably need a ‘real’ trials wheel. And likely want a splined wheelset. Yes, compared with more basic unis, trials unis are expensive. But 30" drops are not small drops, if you are doing drops that big any more than very rarely and with quite good form, then you will bend/break parts on basic unicycles on a regular basis. Good trials unis are designed and built for this kind of riding - that’s why they cost more. If you stick with a basic uni, then repair costs will add up over time, and eventually you’ll have spent more money on fixing the basic uni than you would have on a buying trials uni - and you’ll still not own a trials uni.

You might find http://www.muniac.com/ helpful.
http://www.muniac.com/tips.htm has tips on lots of different stuff, including http://www.muniac.com/tips.htm#drops specifically covering drops.

In an ideal world I think this is what would happen:

• If there’s a good run up and landing you’d roll off the drop and therefore be moving forward already and it would be easier to roll once you hit the ground. I don’t think there’s any secret to this…in this case you just let your momentum make you roll out.
  • If there’s not a good run up but a slope landing you can roll out quite easily. The slope helps you transfer your momentum into moving forward. You should lean more than usual for this.
  • If there’s no room in the run up and landing then I’d go seat out if it’s a big enough drop and absorb the shock with my legs (the seat should probably end up at about gut height for bigger drops).

That’s what I reckon anyway.

Good luck,
Andrew

Well, I can’t really hop seat out yet. I’m finding it a little hard to control but I’m getting better. The reason I’m mainly doing it is because I’ve heard it increases your hop height. It seems to be working:p . But yeah, I’m not good enough to be dropping off things seat out yet.

My main question is if my rim is buckled, but I can still ride it, if I keep riding it, it’ll probably get tacoed eventually won’t it. If straightened it will probably just happen again as it’ll be weaker than if it was as I got it. Is there any risk if I get it tacoed? Other than just a little fright for me will it damage anything else on my unicycle?

Take it to a good wheelbuilder and see what he/she says. Any reputable bike shop will have someone who knows how to build wheels. It could be that your original rim can be fixed.

If you taco the rim you lose the rim and should replace the spokes. Other than that there is no risk. There isn’t enough energy in the spokes to damage anything else.