Broken T7 Touring Handle

Anyone else trashed one of these? The vertical plate to which the handle bar tube is attached snapped in two on the way to work this morning. This seems to have taken some time - lots of tugging and resting on the handle bars over a period of months - the fracture is rusty. I think the weld was poorly done or something.

Of course, I realise that I’m a little heavier than the average unicyclist (215 pounds) but I would not have expected this to break unless I threw it under a truck.

The rails were bent anyway, making the ride less comfortable, so I have been less than entirely impressed with this piece of equipment. :frowning: I think I’ll go back to a GB handle on a carbon fibre base - that proved to be indestructible.

Al

it has happened to other T7s, in exactly the same manner. There have been previous threads, try the search for them.

GB4 (without the carbon fiber) on plastic miyata base with a steel stiffener plate has proved to be pretty indestructable for me as well.

UDC should release their own version of the GB4, I don’t like the idea of having a handle connected to my rail adapter.

If you are close by, I’ll re weld it for you. I can make it stronger!

Your avatar doesn’t say where you are.

corbin

from what I’ve heard T7s aren’t the strongest, and they always break in the same place. it would be cool if the same thing was attached under the normal handle, instead of on the rail adapter, it would probably be much stronger.

Yup, A few people including myself have had the exact same problem.

As Carl Sagan might have said, it depends what you mean by “close”. I live on the same planet as you, but we are separated by a continent and an ocean. Thanks for your kind offer.

Al
Barkway, Hertfordshire, England, … , Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

except it would then just snap seatbases

How do the new T7s fare?

Anyone know how the new batch of purple T7s fare in this respect? That would be the purple batch with the “rounded” (actually faceted) corners of the handles. Did they strengthen it in the locations that have been breaking?

No, they didn’t strengthen it, as far as I can tell. I’ve ordered two, and I’m just going to proactively weld gussets in the weak spots so they won’t break. I trashed mine in the exact same way as AlanChambers mentioned, and my dad welded it for me (i have a cool dad! :)) Now that my first T7 is rewelded, it’s a beast, and I won’t break it!