Broken Leg - With X-rays.

yeeeeuwwww!!! u gnarly bastard!!

shred or be shreded >D

Wow you destroyed yourself and your still hoping to ride at Unicon! Thats awesome, I can’t wait to meet you there. I hope you get better fast, there is nothing worse than hurting yourself before such a big event.

Good luck and good riding.

I’m definatly going to be riding 165s now…

I got a Tibia rod also. If you have problems getting full range out of your ankle, get the Doctor to remove the lower screws after the bone mends ( My upper one is still there). I had my lower 2 removed and it relieved a ton of discomfort . Doctor said I had allready rattled them loose. I have heard of people breaking them also. Get em out if you can, It takes less than 10 minuetes to remove them. You will hate life if bang the heads of them against something.

It been several years now, it still feels wierd when I land hard on that leg,

Hope you have a speedy recovery

That sucks… I hate the lack of control I feel with 150’s, I have 165’s on my muni, and it always screws me up going to the trials…

Good to know you’re going to make a full recovery! Just learn crutch dancing for now! :smiley:

That sucks!:frowning:

Lucky none of those bones cut any major arteries or nerves (I know a guy who broke his arm pretty bad and it’s now paralysed).

Maybe this is an argument for hard armor. Your leg may not have broke or it certainly would have been less sever.

That same thing is what motivated me to work hard after I broke my back. I wanted to get back on skis more than anything.

Hard leg Armor

Skilewis74,

I had the best leg leg armor on possible the Azonic Neoprenes. Thick wraparound neoprene with hard thick plastic covering the knee and shin. The unicycle bent the hard plastic like it was nothing! I am sure that the guards did save me from having the bones rip through the musles and skin. I can’t stress armour enough. My friends laugh at my Azonics because they are hot with all that Neoprene but I am glad that I had them. I also wear boots that cover the ankle and elbow and forearm guards. My guards have saved my knees and elbows before. I also wear the KH red gloves. Helmets go without a saying allthough ironically I have never hit my head while falling. But it just has to happen once to be out of the game.

I thanks everyone for thier support.

One positive thing is that I am now allways balancing on just my left foot in the exact position oof a pedal grab. I think that I am going to rock with Pedal grabs once I start riding again!

Unicorn

Ohhh, sorry to hear this Adam.
Hope you recover quickly.
It would be nice if you make it to unicon, so we can spend time in Copenhagen again.

On again with a Training Wheel!

Hi All!

Yesterday I rode again, for the first time since I broke my leg! Unfortunately I rode a Bicycle and not a Unicycle. Let me explain before I someone shoots me! (I have not been on a Bicycle for two years now.) I can now walk with crutches. I can put about 50% of my body weight on my broken, healing, leg. I can’t walk at all without the crutches yet, but I do put weight on the foot until just before the pain sets in. I have to be very careful not to put too much weight on my healing foot so that I don’t refracture it. A UPD or even a planned dismount could be desasterous for me. So - I Figured that on a bicycle I will be sitting on my ass and can shift gears to give my leg the correct resistance. It worked like a charm! I almost did not feel like my leg was broken. I pedaled around for about 15 minutes. My knee felt very weak and my quads cramped up after about 5 minutes but I was riding again. I now plan to ride the bike every evening so that when I get the ok from my doctor to unicycle again I will allready be back in shape! I am so excited. The pain of not unicycling for the past 7 weeks was worse that the physical pain in the leg! Hearing my unicycles crying because they missed me just tore my heart apart! Hopefully I will be riding Uni again within a month!

Unicorn

Alright! Keep getting better, dude.

so those rods in your leg are temporary? What happen to plaster cast?

That must have been a narley wipeout.

Rods and Plaster Casts

Thanks Steveyo!

Critter, I was coming down a steep section of single track with a lot of boulders. The fall was not that bad but I leg landed on the ground and the unicycle frame landed on it and then my ass fell on the frame turning it into a lever that just smapped both my Tibia and Fibula bones. Anyway I see bicycaling as an evolutionary step into the perfect sport of unicycling!

With a classic plaster cast the doctors said that there would be a slim chance of the bones mending correctly. I guess that I was lucky enough to badly break the bones in order to get the intermedullar rod! Interestingly in WWII when a soldier broke a bone he was out of the war. However the Germans had soldiers who broke bones back in the lines withing a few months. Thier secret was the intermedullar rod.

By the way tomorow morning I am taking two of my fellow riders to a hill that I used as a milestone about a year and a half ago. It is about a 200 meters long section of logging road on a decent. All of the soil had been washed away leaving only egg to grapefruit sized stones. At first I UPDed over 20 times trying to ride down that hill. It took me a while to be able to do that section of road without one UPD. I think that my friends are now ready to try and tackle it. I will find a good seat and try to help them out as much as possible.

Unicorn

Back in the Saddle Again!

Yesterday night I rode a unicycle again! it is the first time since I broke my leg in the beginning of April. I rode my 20" trials and only did some “light” riding in a gym. It is not easy on the ankle but feels great to be back in the saddle again! I missed riding so much!

By the way it was the first time that I looked at my guards closely since the incident and I saw a rip in the foam of the exact size of the magura mount right where the frame hit my leg.

Anyway I also did my first off road mountain bike ride today with Kobis. He MUnied and I Biked. Kind of feel like a traitor! I can’t wait until my leg is strong enough to allow me to do MUni again so that I can get rid of the training wheel for good!

Unicorn

dude so lucky!

You broke your leg after me, and started riding before me!

Best of luck with MUni, something tell me you’ll ride a bit more careful this time :stuck_out_tongue:

Back at the Place.

today during our weekly friday Muni ride we rode the single that I broke my keg on. I gave the boulder where I broke my leg it’s due respect and did not attempt to ride off of it again! A pretty gnarly section of single track. I guess that others have also been hurt there because the parks authority cut many trees down across that single to discourage it from being ridden. Rider have just altered the single to wind around the felled trees. I guess that riders will always find a way!

Funny I now ride only with 150’s. I must say that the 165’s do give more control and power for hill climbing and riding over obstacles but the extra speed gained with the 150 is a real plus.

Unicorn