Broken KH seat clamp

So half way though my 8 mile ride from work on my KH29 I UPD. Picking up the Uni I notice the seatpost is all loose so I try to tighten it up only to find the little brass bolt missing.

I find it on the floor in two bits! Now i don’t know if I UPD because it broke or vice versa.

Anyone else had this happen? (i’ve tried a search). I’ve only ridden like 100 miles on the 29er as well and only fallen a few times. It’s hardly taken lots of abuse. And no i hadn’t overtightened the clamp as i used a small allen key and only used my finger tips.

And is brass the best material to be using here?

Luckly with a bit of bodging with my mates bike clamp i get home.

wow, what a bitch.

i dont have a kh but i lost my quick release clamp for my uni the other day so i bought one which looks a lot like the one you’ve just broken. my one doesnt have any brass in it and i have tightened it up really tight with no problems. i think i’ve heard of people stripping the thread tightening it up but not breaking in half. you should be able to get a new one for only like 5 bucks from youre LBS

I’ve heard of a few people having that problem… Perhaps it was a bad batch, because there are plenty of people riding them with no problems.

If the rest of it’s OK, you could pretty easily make a new part out of a bit of steel dowel drilled and tapped.

Rob

Re: Broken KH seat clamp

norry enlightened us with:
> I find it on the floor in two bits! Now i don’t know if I UPD
> because it broke or vice versa.

Just curious: what is UPD?

Sybren

The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
capital punishment for stupidity, but why don’t we just take the
safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Frank Zappa

it stands for un-planned dismount.

that’s when you just fall of you’re unicycle accidnetally when you’re riding along.

UPD= UnPlanned Dismount

Clamp

Alot of People have had that problem when they tighten it down hard.
Some say overtighten and some say wrong material.

I say wrong material… Brass is not strong enough for our purpose Unicycling.
I changed mine with a Koxx and no Problems till now. that is 1 year…:smiley:

This exact thing happened to mine.

I say wrong material maybe, in my case the threads were tapped way over to one side as well, which made that side quite weak. I’ve been getting by with a bike qr, but I want to do a double-bolt setup to replace the KH clamp- I emailed UDC a while back but no response- has anybody had good success with a double-bolt clamp on a KH 29? We’re talking a 27.2 seatpost with a 31.5 (I think) OD on the frame.

the stock clamp is a little piece of lightweight crap.

Breaking a seatclamp like that is nature’s way of saying that a quick release is the way forward. None of this nasty aaargh-I-need-tools-simply-to-adjust-my-seat malarkey.

Phil

I didn’t read any one else’s comments, but the stock KH seat clamp is a piece of $h!^

Re: Broken KH seat clamp

iridemymuni enlightened us with:
> it stands for un-planned dismount.
>
> that’s when you just fall of you’re unicycle accidnetally when
> you’re riding along.

Aaaah I see :slight_smile: Thanks!

Sybren

The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
capital punishment for stupidity, but why don’t we just take the
safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Frank Zappa

I’m starting to carry an extra QR clamp with me on every ride-just in case! My main Muni clamp is a salsa flip-lock, but the backup QR is much less $$ but works fine in a pinch!

Ok, cheers guys.

Anyone got any good suggestions for a strong seatpost clamp. Quick Release would be nice.

Has to fit a 31.8mm ext.diam frame (27.2mm seatpost)

Cheers

Check here.

I would go with a salsa, but I am pretty sure they dont have a clamp in that size, but for me, when I am doing Muni, I dont ever change my seat position, for any terrain, so a bolt clamp is good for me, seeing how I never adjust seat heat.

I’ve seen a KH clamp do that too.

Roland from Emus has a salsa flip-lock on his muni, it seems to work really well compared to cheaper qrs that I’ve used, but it is £20.

Other than that, 31.8 is a standard size, so you should be able to get most bike QRs in it.

Joe

Update I decided to go with a HOPE QR clamp.

Been using it on the 29er now for a few rides and it works great. It’s a nice solid clamp and locks tight. So far no twisting in the frame and it’s hit the floor a few times while doing XC.

This happened to one of my friends and the only clamp that he could get to fit was A koxx 1 clamp

UDC says on most of their other clamps that they will not fit the KH aluminium frame. So now his KH frame prowdly shows a Koxx 1 Logo on the most prominant point.

KH needs a double bolt clamp, particularlyfor the Muni’s

Plumsie

I didn’t read any of the other posts, so I don’t know if it’s been said yet:

Kris Holm seatclamps suck, go for a Koxx 2 bolt seatclamp, they’re good.

Roland usually ships a second seatclamp with a KH unicycle simply because the clamp breaks 50% of the time.
(Mine broke when I first tightened it)

Cheers,

Dustin

I read about so many broken KH seat post clamps on this forum that when I ordered my KH24 freeride, I just ordered the Odyssey GI clamp along with it (32mm), and immediately replaced the KH clamp when the order arrived…

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=563

Roak