broken bolt

That bolt must be of great quality… or tightened way too much.

Come to think of it, after a month or so of riding the Nimbus, it was creaking and it was not the pedals, so I had asked the bike shop to not make it creak. They might have also tightened the bolts of which one broke. Nevertheless, it has been running fine for many many kilometres (for me 100kms is a many :slight_smile: )

The problem with this break is that I am not sure how to stop it from happening in the future. I thought the idea was to fasten bolts after x number of kilometers, for which I had been to lazy to check. But still, how to check if a bolt is too tight…

Does this mean you can’t ride right now? I hope not. Surly you have an arsenal of unicycles. Good luck with it!

Maybe it was bad luck. I never check the bolts in mine (Oracle 36) and never had any problems with them. A few months after I bought it my 36 started making all sort of strange noises: after checking cranks,spokes, bolts etc… I gave up trying to find the source (creaking hub?). More than a year later is still working fine (if anything less noisy). Anyway, unless there is a good reason (noise, something loose), I don’t check the bolts in the bearing holders in my Unicyles (26,36, 19) and they give me no trouble. Also I think you are not suppose to tighten them too much in the first place.

No, the bearing holder bolts shouldn’t be very tight. The reason is that it is impossible for the bearing holders to be in dead alignment with each other and the hub. (It may be possible if the whole system were re-designed, and fabricated together, with the bearing holders align-honed before assembly. Expensive, and not likely.) Just use blue Loctite, and take them up “snug” (before binding the bearing).

:slight_smile: I have 6 unicycles total and I haven’t even been riding for more than a year. My latest was the geared KH29 and the flop there is that I still haven’t been able to ride in high gear. Now I decided to get better at the 36", which will hopefully help with riding in high gear, which is like riding a 44" I believe. Free-mounting the 36 actually was much easier yesterday than when I last rode it a few months ago. I took a ride in the forest, which went really nice. It is annoying there are hills everywhere here in DK and on a big wheel I think it is quite hard to roll uphill. I need more training for that.

I will get the uni back on Friday. I’ll have a look at how they fixed/destroyed it. Don’t wanna buy a new uni for that.

6 unicycles…I am beginning to see that this is not unusual. I hope I can stop at 3 for now. But, I can see that it is going to take much restraint. Maybe more than I have. :slight_smile:

Not unusual at all. Just a modest collection of the bare essentials if you don’t engage in all uni disciplines.

I guess not, I had 5 bikes at the height of my cycling life…this is certainly less expensive, considering how much good bikes are today.