Broke my leg - now what?

Only if they are bare bb’s. I also made some been bags from bb’s. Mine were brass coated & I put them in
a sock (my “been bag”). As I juggled the brass would rub off and I’d be breathing in a cloud of brass dust.

A safe way of making weighted balls: take an old tennis ball and cut a slit ~ 2" allong one of the seems. Pinch the ball to creat an opening and pour in the bb’s. W/ effort I got each ball to 390 g’s. Glue the slit shut w/ Crazy glue and wrap w/ a layer of duct tape. Ending weight 400 g’s each.

My favorite “balls” are a lot easier to make. Take a 12" party balloon and pour in 1/3 cup of beans, tie a not on the end as close as you can to the base and chop off the extra.

Or one of these:

(Steve’s juggling vids and juggling tutorials are pretty good too.)

And check out the juggling thread
http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39866&page=54&highlight=juggling

I wear lace up braces on each leg w/ plastic inserts for additional support.

TOSRV - West

I’m suspecting you might be using this busted up leg condition to get out of the TOSRV - West again this year …

Heal fast, hurt less, get the added parts removed as soon as they will let you, and sell me your Schlumpf.

JM

Sorry to hear of your injury and I hope you have a complete and speedy recovery.

I built a nice 29 inch Schlumpf and rode it a few times. My desire was to be able to cover significantly more distance. But…it scared me and I realized that it would just be a matter of time before I came off it hard and hurt myself.

Having ridden unicycles since the early 60s, my habits are well formed and the 1 to 1 cadence of my riding was too deeply ingrained for me to be comfortable on the geared hub.

I decided the risks were not worth the benefits and I sold the guni to another forum member. Now, I continue to gleefully ride my infinitely simple 29er as a single speed and feel quite safe and comfortable on it. I am 60 years old so maybe my judgement has finally caught up with my sense of adventure.

Get well soon!

Really sorry to read this. Of course follow the doctors advice and eat well, drink lots of water and get enough sleep.

It is going to hurt but if humanly possible try to regain all the range of motion possible now in the early stages. The boys will exploit any weaknesses that dad has next time you are rough housing

Maybe take up snowshoeing or cross country skiing in the winter instead of Guni :slight_smile: Make some goal that you can work towards that inspires you to work hard to come back stronger, better.

Sorry bout the injury mate…
I was actually in a similar situation 2 years back.
Broke my femur mountain unicycling, with 2 weeks to go before Unicon in my home town.
In the time in a wheel chair or on crutches learn cool tricks on them.
For example I learnt to coast, glide, and go off stairs on my wheelchair ( all in a wheelie).
Have fun and make the most of it.
Main thing: Stay positive :slight_smile:

Hey guys, thanks for the ongoing encouragement.

TOSROV West - Yeah, not happening this year, probably not even on a bike, although I intend to use my recumbent as my main rehab tool.

Wheelchair etc - I’m just on crutches, so not much in the way of tricks, although I have mastered stairs pretty well.

Schlumpf - yeah, I’m probably selling mine for similar reasons. Joe, I do feel some debt to you for your great training tips and flaking out on you, so I’ll pm you when I make a final decision.

ankle_side_xray.jpg

ankle_front_xray.jpg

On this point, I told my doctor I was planning to wear ankle braces in the future, and asked if he has any recommendations for paricular braces. The doc said a brace would not have made any difference for the way I broke my leg. He said he really likes ankle braces for people who have floppy ankles that tend to twist or fold easily, which is pretty common for developing teenagers (and was for me). However, in his opinion the braces don’t do much of anything to protect from fractures. So, per my orthopeadic doc, braces won’t hurt me any, but because my ankles are now solidly structured, braces won’t really do much to protect me either.

Yeah, I do both, and prefer snowshoeing. I actually bought new snowshoes for my kids for Christmas. However, we haven’t gotten much snow this year, which is why I was out on the uni that day. So it looks like the new snowshoes will still be new for next year.

uniShark: Wow, I looked at the x-ray and it looks pretty serious. That really is a lot of screws. Just curious why one of the screws is not in the corresponding hole in the plate? It just looks odd is all. Of course the obvious answer is that you are a unicyclist and thus " have a screw loose" and now have the x-ray that proves it.

Nice Xray! I had that same break from skiing when I was sixteen, only residual problem is I loss some ankle mobility (5-10 deg), but I was already fairly flexible so I don’t notice it much. No pain, doesn’t hurt with weather changes.

I should post my hand xrays, those are awesome, multiple fractures on a few fingers, seven total fractures and one Boutonniere Deformity (R Pinky) resulting from four seperate falls, and all of them from muni :roll_eyes:

Sissy. I once broke my fibula in a freak accident when my tire slipped off of a wet curb. I rode three miles on my unicycle back to where I was staying in Vancouver, BC. The following day I drove my truck from Vancouver back to Seattle. The day after that I limped into the doctor’s office.

When are you going to come back to Seattle and ride with us again, James? You’ve had plenty of time to heal.

that really sucks harper!

Pretty serious, but certainly could be worse. Doctor gave me approval today to start putting weight on it! He also says I can start riding my recumbent bike in about a month.

The screw near the empty hole goes sideways across the break. Nothing through that hole because it would be too close to the lateral screw.

Yikes! So far I’ve sprained one wrist, but no significant finger injuries.

Well, I never claimed to be at your level. :slight_smile:
Not sure when I’ll be back out - maybe in the fall. I definitely want to do some more group rides out there!

Get better?

Wow, that would really suck. Hopefully it just heals right…:frowning: