British Unicycle Trials Competition Results

The British Unicycle Trials Competition was held on 24th April 2004 at BUC11.

There were 15 competitors in all, and three sections – Easy, Intermediate and Hard, respectively.

The results were as follows:

Section 1 - Easy
Position: Name: Points:
1 Aaron Rolf 0
1 Iain Perves 0
1 Joe Baxter 0
1 Mark Lever 0
1 Michael Emmerson 0
1 Paul King 0
1 Phil Himsworth 0
1 Rick Else 0
1 Simon McAndrew 0
1 Tom Pyke 0
1 Yoggi 0
1 Zach Cannon 0
13 Will Halford 1
14 George M 9
15 Stephen Jarvis 10

Section 2 - Medium
Position: Name: Points:
1 Joe Baxter 0
1 Phil Himsworth 0
1 Simon McAndrew 0
1 Yoggi 0
5 Aaron Rolf 2
6 Iain Perves 9
7 Michael Emmerson 10
7 Paul King 10
7 Rick Else 10
7 Tom Pyke 10
7 Zach Cannon 10

Section 3 - Hard
Postion: Name: Points:
1 Joe Baxter 3
2 Yoggi 4
3 Phil Himsworth 10
3 Simon McAndrew 10
3 Aaron Rolf 10
3 Iain Perves 10

Overall top three:
Position: Name: Total Points:

1 Joe Baxter 3
2 Yoggi 4
3 Simon McAndrew 10
3 Phil Himsworth 10

We were using a mixture of ‘Kris Holm Unicycle Trials Rules’ and French Trials Rules – as Yoggi was organising it, with a maximum of 10 points. If we were to do this competition again, I don’t think we would use the 10 points rule, as it limited the variation in points.

Well done to all competitors…. And hopefully a Trials competition like this will become a regular thing in the UK.

Cheers,

Joe,

Trials Comp.

Joe, if we get the permanent trials course in Sebergham, Cumbria up and running quickly enough, I see no reason why we should’nt hold our first ‘Open’ Competition later in the summer after we have had a few trials workshops abd practice days etc.

Once I have stockpiled enough materials it will depend how much time you and Simon(?) can spend helping me design and build it.

We will have to consider caefully what rules we should use.

Simon Rolph (not ROLF!!:p)

Yeah simon. That would be cool!

Sorry about the Typo! I forgot about that!
Pics from the comp and be found here

Joe,

Great photos, looks like you had a really nice trials course set up there. Any videos available?

Andrew

Wow, I just saw the last few photos. That drop that the guy is attempting is absolutely massive! Did he land it? Did anyone measure the drop? Did his unicycle hold out okay?

Andrew

More Trials Comp pics.

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album104

Simon

Cool pics Simon!

Andrew, which drop did you mean?
If it was the one on the trails course, it was about 5ft (from the top of the big cable drum to the smaller one on the ground). If you ment the drop Yoggi was doing on the Muni ride, that was about 12ft!

I spent all his free time on friday and saturday morning fixing his wheel (he had broken 4 spokes) and then did that drop, and broke some more. It pulled them through the rim.

I have one short video of me, and a couple of others of me and North messing around.

Paul Royal has loads of video which he is putting up in the galleries some time, and if anyone is interested, he is selling them on DVD also!

Joe,

I couldn’t help noticing that Aaron is holding an invisible rail & Joe is walking an invisible dog round the trials circuit.

//\

The videos are going up slowly, there’s only Joe at the moment. I should get Yoggi, Simon and Phil up tonight, and the rest later in the week.
Look at Paul’s Gallery
They’re quite compressed so the quality isn’t great, I can upload larger (~20MB) versions if people want, or just wait for the DVD. There’ll be some clips from the show and the hockey later too.
If anyone wants any of the raw footage for their own projects they’re welcome to it, drop me a message.

Paul

Did you do the drop too? Did he land it? That’s an amazing drop.

Andrew

Great videos! Joe, that gap between spools was really amazing. Congratulations. I also liked Yoggi’s nice quick crank grab for that gap on his second attempt. Only watched those ones so far.

Would it be possible for me to get a copy of the DVD in Australia? Any ideas on prices?

Cheers,
Andrew

The videos are up for Joe, Simon, Yoggi and Phil (the top 3 finishers), they’re between 5 and 10 megs each which is a bit on the large side, but they’re between 2 and 4 minutes long. I’ll break them up into smaller chunks for dialup users.
Here they are!

Enjoy

Paul

DVDs will free :slight_smile: (plus the cost of a blank disc and postage). I’ll keep you posted on progress.

Paul

Paul,
Well done, good filming.

I would very much like a copy of your DVD when it’s finished, yourl have to let us know what your discs cost.

I forgot to ask you at BUC what your email address is if unicyclist.comis not your preffered address.

Simon

TheFatController (at) CumbriaMuni (dot) com

Mike, yeah… lol My invisable dog! :roll_eyes: I dont know how, but my hand always seems to be out - guess it is just the way I ride!

Andrew, it was only Yoggi who did the huge drop (on the muni ride). And he landed it!

Thanks for uploading them Paul. I might just wait until I get the DVd to see them!

Joe,

Did I take sooooooo long to get round the trials course that the file is too big for the gallery? The links to the videos of me don’t seem to work… :frowning:

I’ve watched the first three, excellent stuff! Thanks, Paul.

My legs still really ache even after almost a week. I think I’ve done my right knee in good ‘n’ proper…

Phil

In the trials gallery the videos for Phil and Iain don’t download. There seems to be a bad link.

In the BUC11 Show video with Roger and Rocket there seems to be a problem with the encoding. The video goes wonky after the 1:06 point and then QuickTime gives me an integer division by zero error.

:thinking: I’ll have a look at the gallery this lunchtime, see if I can sort it out, I had a few problems with our connection during the upload, which might explain it.
I’ll post again when I think it’s working.

I’ve fixed it!
The videos of Phil and Iain are up, I had to reduce the quality slightly 'cos clips over 10MB seem to upset the gallery or my internet connection.
I’ve put Roger and Rocket up again, and some stuff of Connie
Enjoy

Paul

I’ll do the rest of the trials competitors when I can. I’m going to be away from any editing facilities for a while.

Paul