British Unicycle Hockey League: London, 9th June

On the 9th June, the Lunis will be hosting another hockey tournament. This will be the first tournament of this year’s British hockey league and will be primarily for organised teams but let me know if you are interested in forming part of a scratch team.

The court is booked from 12 noon ‘till 7pm. As things stand we can only accommodate 8 (or at maximum 10) teams over the seven hours.

The hockey will be strictly 5-a-side. Teams may have any number of subs if they so wish and rotate their players during the day.

Note: please ensure that you use plastic pedals and NOT metal ones.

The cost per team (regardless of numbers) will be £20.

This event will be held at…

Westway Sports Centre
1 Crowthorne Road
London
W10 6RP

http://www.westway.org/sports/wsc/

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=523591&Y=181115&A=Y&Z=1

It’s outside, but underneath the A40 flyover so you don’t get too wet when it rains. The surface is smooth Tarmac, it’s a bit abrasive on sticks, but OK to play on and great for fast turns!

If anyone would like to stop over on the Saturday night, then you’re more than welcome to. Floor space will be at a premium. so if you’d like to stop over then it’s essential that you let me know ASAP.

Register you team name to confirm a place in this hockey tournament by emailing me, Rocket, at:

unicycle [at] ntlworld [dot] com

We appreciate that many of you are travelling long distances for this tournament, but because of the time slot and the number of teams attending, it’s imperative that everyone arrives no later than 11.30am for a 12 noon start. Registration fees will be collected on arrival.

See you all there.

Directions to the Westway by car are below,

To get to Westway Sports Centre by car from the north or west

Approach along the Westway (A40). Take the exit marked Hammersmith & Shepherds Bush (A3220). The road comes down to Holland Park Roundabout, a very large one with a central glass tower. Take the first exit signed Central London. Immediately turn left into Royal Crescent and immediately left again into St Ann’s Villas. Continue, bearing very slightly right at the junction before the railway bridge (the road is now called Bramley Road). Drive under the railway bridge to the flyover bridge ahead. Drive under the flyover bridge and immediately turn left into Crowthorne Road - the car park entrance ramp is then immediately in front of you, the car parking is in the Centre’s own underground car park (below the full-size football pitch).

To get to Westway Sports Centre by car from the south

Approach on the one-way system that comes past the Earl’s Court Exhibition Centre (Warwick Road) - follow the system up Holland Road to the major roundabout (Holland Park Roundabout) with a central glass tower. Take the third exit signed Notting Hill Gate (A402). As you drive round the roundabout ensure that you are in the left lane at the point where you leave it, because you need to turn left almost immediately; turn left into Royal Crescent and immediately left again into St Ann’s Villas. Continue up this road, bearing slightly right at the junction before the railway bridge (the road is now called Bramley Road). Drive under the railway bridge to the motorway bridge ahead. Drive under the motorway bridge and immediately turn left into Crowthorne Road - the car park entrance ramp is then immediately in front of you, the car parking is in the Centre’s own underground car park (below the full-size football pitch).

another… when was the last one? :smiley:

We should be able to muster a team from bristol. Our skipper (pete) will be in touch.

Hopefully Swum will be in attendance haven’t spoke to anyone yet but im game

Unfortunately the DUC team won’t be able to attend.

For the ones that don’t know what’s happening, then read on…

While the LUnis are playing their hockey tournament, the DUC and EMU B teams will be convincing the manager of 2 very flash sports halls (located adjacent to each other) that they are suitable for uni-hockey and would be perfect for hosting a very large hockey tournament on 10th November. These halls are slightly larger than the one we use for our tournaments in Manchester as well. People could pencil this date in for the moment, but it won’t be confirmed until we’ve satisfied the manager on the 9th June.

Sorry we can’t make the hockey Rocket, but it’s for an exceptional good reason. The tournament we’re looking to host will be the largest ever held in the UK.

Steve

Hopefully we’ll be putting a Cambridge team into this one, I think we’re ready for our first proper competition :smiley:

The Westway is a great venue for a summer tournament, we’ll get loads of passers by stopping to watch.

Paul

Bump

Three weeks to go :slight_smile:

I’d love to be able to say that Southampton will be there, but I won’t know for sure for a few days. I can let you know for definite after my last exam, 11:30pm, 8th June :(.

Car drivers - you should pay for parking at the sports centre reception, where it costs £1, rather than the pay machine inside the car park which costs £££’s.

See you Saturday.

I am assuming that theres not going to be any scratch teams? because im in Bracknell and can potentially get to it but if theres no scratch teams, not much point, could some one clarify pleaseee…
cheers
Lucas

Dont know about scratch teams, maybe you could sub for a team? Im sure someone will be willing to have you as a sub, Southampton could, but we do already have 6, 7 or 8 people going so it might be unfair on some of them, especially as it is the first tournament for most of them!

Am I right in thinking that the whole day wont be spent outside? I see from the website that there are lots of things there, so im assuming there are facilities and maybe a cafe inside?
Also, will there be a meal or anything afterwards like SWUM (but possibly less of a disaster)? Im going on to oxford afterwards (hopefully) and was wondering if i should take time to eat or picking up food into account with my plans.
Looking forward to it,
Anna.

Lucas, we have 5 coming from Bristol but Danny was hoping to not have to play so if you fancy a game I’m sure you can join us.

There is a small cafe inside the sports centre, personally I’ll be bringing food with me as things get expensive when paying for three. Also I believe there is a corner shop within walking distance.

There are plenty of places to eat within a short distance of the sports centre (it’s in London after all!), Portobello Rd/Notting Hill is about a mile away, Shepherds Bush is about a mile the other way.

I could be persuaded to go somewhere for food after if my passengers are up for it.

Paul

According to Richard’s latest post to uk_unicyclists we only have 4, which perhaps means that Julian can’t make it.

If we only have 4 then Lucas would be a very welcome addition to the team. If we have 5 then I’d be very happy for him to take my place while I go off and ride in WNBR.

BTW Lucas, wear something red.

Considering Lucas left for Bracknell this morning he might not have a red t-shirt packed. However I will contact him & give him a lift on Saturday.

Keith

Ah well, I’ll try and remember to bring a spare Severn Wheelers T-shirt anyway.

We’re possibly bringing as many as 8, so I’ll bring a red shirt in case you need to borrow one of our players. I seem to remember owing Nick from when he played for us SWUM.

Loose.

I’m definitely going now, looking forward to my first hockey tournament! Don’t know who I’ll play for but I don’t really care, it will still be fun.

Great tournament, lots of really good games.

Thanks to rocket for organising, and well done Horsham.

I’m sure someone will post the full stats

yeh thanks great tournament, enjoyed meeting afew teams that i havent seen before it was cool. well done to horsham, and thanks to the severns to letting me play, id like to play for you lot at all tournaments from now on except where we can get a southwest team together in which case ill help them out lol sorry i need to lay my loyalties ha ha but main thing is i want to be able to regularly play
xxxx