Bringing in new club members

I’d like to find out what thoughts people on the board here may have with regards to finding, and drawing in, new members for a unicycle club.

The club started a few months ago, and we meet almost every other Saturday at a local park, where at least 1, and up to 5 people who walk by, try the uni’s out, take a flyer, and promise to return. After several months, only 1 person has actually done this. :slight_smile:

Currently the group is signed up to attend a few parades, i have flyers at many of the area bike shops, and i am coordinating an exhibition of unicycling at one of the larger local bike shops.

Thanks for any help or ideas you all can provide. :slight_smile:

Re: Bringing in new club members

In article <kennebel.k3gom@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
kennebel <kennebel.k3gom@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)I’d like to find out what thoughts people on the board here may have
)with regards to finding, and drawing in, new members for a unicycle
)club.
)
)The club started a few months ago, and we meet almost every other
)Saturday at a local park, where at least 1, and up to 5 people who walk
)by, try the uni’s out, take a flyer, and promise to return. After
)several months, only 1 person has actually done this. :slight_smile:
)
)Currently the group is signed up to attend a few parades, i have flyers
)at many of the area bike shops, and i am coordinating an exhibition of
)unicycling at one of the larger local bike shops.

The first thing you need to do is get them to learn how to unicycle.
That’s the hard part, since it takes quite a bit of dedication. The
more “cool” stuff you have going on when you meet in the park, the more
likely you’ll catch people; whether it’s trials stuff, mini-MUni on
footpaths, hockey, or basketball, you have to do things that people
walking by will look at and go “wow! it would be cool if I could do that!”
Don’t limit yourself to wheel-walking and one-foot idling; they’re not
interesting to spectators.

Help people start out; give them tips and let them hold your wrist
as you walk them along.

Organize fun stuff! MUni rides, basketball, hockey–make it events.
Just showing up to the club to work on skills doesn’t have an inherent
excitement to it.

And emphasize how fun it is!
-Tom

call the local newspaper. they were grateful for the story of me and my club, as grateful as I was. we got a few members from that.

I also got business cards made up. if someone seems the least bit interested…like ‘hey that’s cool!’ give’em a card.

I always carry cards when I ride…just in case.

Do some cool tricks at a skatepark…skaters seem to be the most encourageable

ride in public, alot.

I’ve recently started up a weekly unicycle ride through the bike shop. My boss (at the bike shop) and i are taking the rides and last saturday we had 6 of us. The best way I think to attract people to come along to the rides is to go out riding a lot yourself. Since I got my unicycle back in May last year the number of unicyclists in my suburb has risen from none to about 15! I just wrote a little bit abuot the ride in my biography on the “Roster on Unicyclists” thing on www.unicycling.org. I’m going to email the other unicyclists from Brisbane tonight and ask if they want to join us. It a lot of fun going out and riding with lots of other unicyclists isn’t it?

Good luck gathering members,
Andrew

Try not to knock over the RaceFace display case

• that’s a paddlin’

My unicycle club in Stockton was really good, but then we did a school fate, which genorated (?) loads of interest. Now the club is over run with kids. You can hardly get any unicycling done! Its more like a youth club, and there is no order about it. Im not going back untill its quieter. Its a shame, but we travel for an hour (costing £14 inc. cost of tunnel) and its not worth it!

Oh well… I still have MSN! :smiley:

Joe,

The idea about putting a notice in the local paper is a great one. There are often"What’s Happeing" sections of the paper. You might explore this more and get your ride printed there. I also try to wear my club t-shirt when ever I’m out riding. Nothing gets attention better than just being out and riding and then to let folks know that the really IS an organization for all of those closet unicyclists out there. Good luck with the club! It is so exciting to share your love of unicycling and connect those who, too, love it.

It can really help to get pictures out depicting how much fun we’re having.

-C

wound2.jpg

In my town there was originally only myaself and my best mate, who I taught to ride, riding uni. Then he left town leaving only me but now I have a new playmate who is into muni etc etc…

So I go riding with my university’s mountaineering club, which has a mountain biking componant - a group of ‘hard core’ downhillers and trail riders who I muni with. They drive me to nice trails (I have no car) and are amazed each time I pull off a steep decent, log ride or some other ‘feat’.

I just can’t wait till my KH24 with a massive 3 inch gazz arrives to show them what a real tyre looks like :).

Yeh, the funny thing is we do actually have a RaceFace display case. Well pretty much…it’s got a lot of RaceFace cranks and so on in there.

Andrew

Club Ideas

Well, we play basketball, usually have an ultimate wheel, a couple of 5 footers, and my 7 footer. Almost always have cones, and someone weaving through them, or someone side hopping over the lower part of stilts(not while someone is on them!). One member brings different items including his homemade recumbent, balance board, pneumatic pogo stick, and so forth. We do lot’s of cool things. :slight_smile:

Nearly every person that walks by, usually tries it out. We always have 1 or 2 people taking a break, who are happy to help them out. It is interesting, because about half of the people that stop by, are fairly decent, having tried it “in their youth”. It is just a matter of convincing them to return. Colorado in general, and Colorado Springs in particular, has a high percentage of athletic people.

Organizing events is difficult with so few members, and several of the members are fairly new, so they do not have the endurance or skills to participate, which further reduces our useful number.

I tried this. I even called a purely local paper called the “Colorado Springs Independant”, supposedly, as the name implies, a free spirit in the community and not afraid of publishing items. Apparently, we were not contriversal enough. :slight_smile: Pretty much the response was, “That’s really nice, but don’t expect us to ever stop by and do a story.” :frowning:

Yep, i do this too(of course, with looking for a job, my riding time is reduced). Hadn’t thought about skate parks, thanks! Oh, and i live in the mountains, recreational street riding doesn’t have the crowd one might hope for. :slight_smile:

Funny enough, the bike shops around here generally carry a unicycle, which is better than none, but none of them will even approach my uni’s unless they are being paid to find a replacement part.

Thanks for your ideas folks, i do appreciate them! Maybe this will truly just be a matter of waiting and hoping. (sigh) Want more members now! :slight_smile:

I know what you mean about having quite a bit of interest yet very few riders actually turn up. As I ride around town, daily, there are regularly people who ask me about unicycling and when I mention our club they seem to get really excited. I carry cards around with the club details and e-mail addy on it. People are appreciative of the connection and then, usually, that’s the last I see or hear of them.
Last fall we started with about half a dozen uni riders that emerged from our juggling club. Since then perhaps three other riders have joined us in the past seven months or so.

I think learning to unicycle is harder than most people expect. Therefore there just aren’t that many avid riders around. People probably fantasize that it would be neat to ride a unicycle but the reality is that they don’t and often can’t get motivated to learn or improve on their often rusty skills.

Face it, we are a small community of rare athletes. And I don’t see that changing in the near future.

Erin

Just a little bit more evidence on how unicycling’s spreading throughout my suburb…
Today on the way home from the bike shop (on my beautiful newly powder coated frame) a guy stopped me and asked me where i got my unicycle from because his friend had been interested in unicycling. I’m guessing that this other person has probably seen one of us riding around on the footpaths and decided they want to try it out. I referred him to the Gap Bike Shop and I was on my way.

Andrew

ANother thing I know (although this hasn’t happened yet) that will attract more people…

Last year in the Terry Fox run, I uni’d by myself (unaware of any other uni’rs in town)

This year, there will hopefully be at least 15 of us riding in that fund raiser!

That will certainly show us off to a ton of people