Brand new broken Schlumpf

you need to look at the stuff and then you’ll realise!
I agree with the silicone and electrical tape (although that’s probably the easiest to rub off). the Blu Tack is strong enough to hold paper onto a wall, but not much else! I still think it would be the best solution. I would try it on my own hub, but it’s not in a wheel at the moment.

a bit more on-topic:

my new schlumpf (#233) arrived a few days ago. I’ve had enough time to ride to and from work on it, aside from a test run after I built the wheel. Everything seems to be running quite smoothly, and the side bearings (i.e. the ones that failed on my last hub) are much larger. I have much hope!

I should have time to run the marathon route just north of town this friday, so we’ll see how things are rolling after that. Getting used to the gear again is tricky, though! still using way too much energy in high gear.

Did anybody else get their replacements yet? Man I really hope this will actually be better.

My other geared hub seems to be getting the bearing problem again now.
The seal keeps popping out, exposing the bearing cage. The latter doesn’t seem to be broken really. It just refuses to stay in place.

I think this must still be the same old bearing, though. So there’s hope the new one won’t have these issues.

Well, time to call Florian, I guess:o:( :sunglasses:

He will obviously replace it with the new generation hub.

Still kind of a bummer. Especially since the other one for the 36er isn’t here yet.

As you can see in the serial number reference, there are some people (including myself) who got their replacement hubs several weeks ago. So far my hub looks fine (after 250 km). It just loses oil like hell, but Florian already sent me an email saying that this is normal because the bearings are not as tight as expected.
So, instead of filling the hub with 5 ml oil once per year, I am filling it with 1 ml oil 6 times per year.

I’ve had mine for a while in my Coker. It works great – no problems whatsoever. The new bearings are HUGE!

A shot of em, and my custom milled cranks:

corbin

Florian sent me a photo showing the old and the new bearing. I hope it is OK to post it here (I can’t think of a reason why it should not be posted)…Especially the cage looks much more robust.

bearing.comparison.small.jpg

I don’t ride nearly as much as you guys, but I can say what rough technical riding I’ve done (perhaps 50 miles worth since I got my new generation hub back) has not phased the hub/bearings one iota. And I was riding through mud, grime and doing drops and gaps and such. My original hub barely made it 20 miles on flat pavement before it died! :astonished: So far so good. Hopefully I’ll have time soon to really put this puppy to the test. So much to do, so little time!

since early Sept, hub (226) is running great! Fitted to a 24", ride most days (all off road) apart from when I’m injured (doh!), planning on using it in a 6 hour mtb event in a couple of weeks time.

FWIW, my older geared hub in my 24" muni has at least a thousand miles on it and hasn’t failed yet. (NOTE: I did have the bearings replaced after “Ride the Lobster”). I’ve been pushing that one more and more on rides (2-3’ drops).

–corbin

I guess it either fails at the beginning or never…

I also have an older one with over 1000 miles on it - and it’s going strong.

Hub #00079 has about 2800 km on it. Not even the tiniest glitch… yet. I just keep squirting oil into every month and it hums along. Lovin’ it.
Geoff

I have hub #0018 and after 2200km i got new problemen with my hub.
There is some play in the bearings.
I can move my wheel a few mm to left and right.
And if a really look close at the big inside bearing i can see that moving.
Are there more people with this problemen??

I noticed the side to side play on my hub too. But I wasn’t sure if it was actually new. But it is problematic.

Has this hub the new bearings??

Not yet. But the bearings are starting to fall apart now, so it will be replaced.

That’s the bearing failure.

-corbin

That’s bad news for me :frowning:
I have this problem a few month and i thinks it’s getting worse.
Does somebody know why this happing so late.
While others have this problem after a few km.

I think the old bearings just fail after a long while. I had about 800 miles in my first frame before they failed (granted, it was a converted Nimbus frame, which was why we thought the failure happened). I got new bearings before RTL (new ones of the smaller ones) and a proper frame after RTL (KH 36). After about 20 miles the seal on that hub’s bearings popped out. I then got the new hub with larger bearings, and haven’t had problems with it.

Kevin had a geared 29’er for RTL. At the end of RTL the bearings were failing (the seal was popping out). He sold me the hub, and I sent it to Florian to get new bearings. That hub now has > 1000 miles on it in a KH24.

One of Nathan’s hubs had quite a few miles on it in a KH36 before it failed in a similar way.

So, it sort of seems like the smaller bearings eventually wear out and cause side-to-side slop, which can result in freewheeling. I had made a video of the problem when I first hit it:

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/movies/Broken_Hub_High.mov

corbin

Thanks Corbin for al the info.
So it’s not save to continue ridding.
I try to contact Florian again about this problem.
Which i already did a few month ago .
I got one reply from him saying

“If it is just some play between outer circlip and bearing, we can send you some 0.1mm spacers to put between outer circlip and bearing.”
This is no safety issue, if shifting is working fine.

In my last mail i explaining my problem with a picture.
But no reply on that one.