Brand new broken Schlumpf

I managed to screw up my crank bolts by torquing them up to 54Nm, just to be on the safe side… So I agree, 55Nm is way too much for the crank bolts. I keep them at 50Nm now. They do keep coming loose though, so I retighten them about once every two weeks.

I use 25-30 ft pounds, which is 33-40Nm. I think 50Nm is too high, and deforms the soft aluminum. I haven’t had problems with my cranks coming loose.

corbin

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback on the axle torque rating. I’ll change this in the assembly manual.

Kris

You’re welcome. I already told Florian about it, so he sent me some new bolts but didn’t bother to change the manual.

Hi guys,
Have been riding my KH24" schlumpf for the last 2 days and i must say that it is everything i thought it would be and then some. I was initially a little apprehensive considering the horror stories of brand new hubs failing, but with some good help from an enthusiastic bike mechanic and with the advice from this thread it all went together like a dream. I had a feeling the torque ratings were too high (as a precaution against cranks coming loose etc) so i’ve just been using common sense. Initially i could feel the wheel had some resistance so i loosened the bearing holders and it is running much better now. As for the axle bolts, it is really not that hard to take off the buttons before each ride and just give them a little tweak if they need it.

Scott lynch and myself are riding at Mt Stromlo all this weekend so i will hopefully get some good footage of DH in high gear. We have been invited to ride a demo run of the double black diamond DH course at the UCI world championships after the mens qualifying next week so we are getting in some sneaky runs this weekend to pick lines and sort out some of the harder rock gardens.

I hope that the problems people are having with their hubs get dealt with properly. Hitting single track at 36er speeds is just too much fun- not sure if i could ever be happy going back.

mark

I had my cranks mounted by Roland Wende (municycle.com) when he assembled my KH29 and since then I never touched the screws. He used locktite, and the screws didn’t come loose for ~ 500 km. Unfortunatly the “test” ended here because one of the bearings gave up (not the knurled one). I don’t know what torque Roland uses, but it looks like his method works very well.

Ah, great point! I also used blue locktight on the crank bolts when assembling my KH24. Louise’s right one came loose during the Africa tour, but mine has never came loose.

corbin

It looks like Kris’s website has been updated with photos of the new 2009 updates to the KH/Schlumpf:

http://www.krisholm.com/khu/kh-schlumpf

Notice the new ‘power hump’ on the left of the black casing to accommodate the larger internal bearings.

Florian is awesome, and mine should be in the post any day.

Sam

I don’t think that is new. Looking back at some photos of the first KH-Schlumpf hubs they look the same.

I won’t disagree about Florian being awesome though :slight_smile:

STM

I got my updated hub (and owner: Nathan Hoover)! I can’t wait to build it back into my KH36 and start riding it around again.

Florian is top notch. I absolutely love my hub(s).

corbin

I had a nice small brown box waiting on my doorstep today as well! #229 (owner: Rob Youngren). This is round TWO at it. I killed #127 after only 20 flat paved miles! :astonished: I’m going to put this into my KH24… for a serious trail killing machine! Oh and +1,000,000 cool points for Florian. What a guy!

You will love having it in the KH24!!! That is by far my favorite unicycle at this point. My opinion may change once I get my KH26 built up, but we’ll see…

corbin

(ps: Yes, that means I will have a geared 24, 26 and 36).

corbin: you must be rich! And at only 31! Damn where did I go wrong! :slight_smile:

I am now using 4 Nm and it seems to be enough.

I am using 5nm and it works fine. Will try going a little less - my torque wrench only goes down to 5.

Planet axle pin?

I got a nice warning and a special screw to check the planet axle pins in my Schlumpf hub. Unicycle.com warns that the hub might lock up.

It seems from this notice that maybe a planet pin was out of tolerance and came out of its seat.

I think everyone with the new hub is receiving the test screw for the planet axle pin. Got mine a week ago, tested no problem.
http://unplannedismounts.com/2009/10/27/planet-axle-pin-test-screw/

Last I heard all hubs have tested ok, apart from the one hub initially which was the reason the test screws etc were sent out. Good example of customer service imo.

Still waiting for the screw to arrive, since 2 weeks.:frowning: …but so far my new hub works fine.

Still waiting for any signs of life from Florian since a couple of weeks. No answers to the last 3 e-mails I sent him. He didn’t even confirm to have received the broken hub. It’s very annoying.

i’m in the same boat as you Munirocks. I had to send my hub back to get repairs. From the shipping invoice i can tell it was delivered on the 6th of October but i have not received confirmation from florian that he has it- let alone been given any info about when i might get it back. I am getting a little anxious because i am worried i might not have it in time for my trip to Unicon :frowning:
Hopefully we will hear from him soon- i got mighty attached to my hub in the 2 weeks that i had it in working order and i miss it! riding just isn’t the same without it.

Mark