Brakes - What to buy

Yea it’s really expensive on UDC. Looking around local shops to ask if they’ve something similar. I’ve just contacted some guy on classifieds who’s got some V-brakes for cheap and a ‘fork brake mount’ which I’ve no idea what it is. If it’s a mount I can fit on my uni, I’ll grab it.

Do you live anywhere near Eugene, OR?

We have a used bike parts shop here. Yesterday I picked up brakes, a shifter lever, a bar end, 4 brake pads, housing, and cable for $10. I got to pick through buckets and buckets of brakes and levers until I found just the ones I wanted.

Yup, like using that little red knob on the maguras. I confess, I didn’t come up with this idea, but I like it a lot.

Lemme know how that works!

Seager: No, I’m 24 hours away from OR. Unfortunately.

I think I’ve the parts I want - the guy who’s gonna sell me brakes was really nice and is passing me contacts to some guy he knows who mods bikes. I might be able to get some pretty neat stuff on my uni for a good price.

I wouldn’t recommend the drag brake method on a muni, it’s more of an on-road touring method.

This is also my experience, however a new knob costs less than a pint of beer and is a relatively easy push-on fit. Personally I run without a knob, If I have the handle to one side with a knob on it rubs my legs and unscrews the brakes in a few seconds of riding.

I stopped by the best LBS i know around here yesterday to see if they could help me out with brakes for my Nimbus 26. They brought out some V-brakes and we tried to see if it would fit. Sadly, no chance with the 3" Duro Leopard :frowning: I asked them if they had any longer V-brakes, but they said that they only knew of two lengths and the other length was shorter than the one we tried. Are there really no V-brakes that are long enough to pass over a 3" tire?

:smiley: Well…i would go with maguras cause that’s what i had on my coker. :smiley:

Really? Are you saying that all hs33 levers can be fitted with a knob? I figured if they didn’t have one than they were an older version or something like that. Is it the same for hs22 and hs11?

This post has been very informative. I have a 26 inch Nimbus and want brakes for mine too. Judging from everyones experience, the only sure option for the 26X3 is Maguras. Is this accurate?

oh sorry, complete misunderstanding. All the ones i see on ebay have an adjuster, but the knob itself has always fallen off and got lost somewhere, which is what i thought you were saying. I didn’t realise that they made models with no adjuster atall, my apologies.