brakes for UDC 32"

OK so I had a little fun with a post in the for sale wanted section but it looks like I was right, it is easier to find a unicorn than a good used 32 uni :smiley:
I/m surprised how many people looked but not 1 single reply
but on a more serious note, I see there is a hole drilled in the bottom of the frame of the UDC 32 and Iā€™m guessing it can be used to install wheel rim brakes. I feel pretty sure I will need brakes when I move up to a 32 as there are times now I wish I had them on my 29. So has anyone out there put rim brakes on the UDC and if so how well do they work.

I cannot comment on how well the brakes work but i will say i think you will enjoy the 32ā€ size. I bought the 32ā€ oracle awhile back and am enjoying it immensely! I can free mount it in the grass with 100mm cranks and hold a 10+ MPH average speed on distance rides (up to 30 miles so far) and top speed of 17.7 (according to strava)

FWIW i rarely use the brake. Most use they get is to make a kinda graceful rear dismount with short cranks and Steep hills which i tend to avoid anyway :roll_eyes:

Buy that thing and start enjoying it :+1:t3:

The crown looks pretty tall, but a caliper brake might reach, itā€™s been quite a while since Iā€™ve used one.

If the hole is too high you could use the cut-off part of the seatpost to make a lower mount location. You would just need to drill a couple holes then use that hole to bolt it into place above the tire.

I donā€™t remember there being that much clearance when I used a caliper brake.

Brakes are by no means necessary, but are useful in some situations (like long downhills) and a whole new skill to learn.

Have fun!

My 32" came with a disc brake. I have some hills where the brake is handy going doing and it saves my knees.

Looking at the UDC Titan 32" on the US unicycle.com and the ā€˜32" Adult Trainerā€™ on the UK site, I see the hole you mention (I guess these could be the same unicycle). It looks like you would need a pretty long arm brake caliper to use that directly, but it might be possible.

A potentially bigger problem is that both of these are specified as coming with the Nimbus Stealth2 rim. Now UDC doesnā€™t seem to sell the 32" Stealth2 separately to get rim specs (at least on the US/UK sites they just sell 32" Dominator2 rims), but the 36" Stealth2 rim is down as being ā€œwithout a braking surfaceā€. So youā€™d need to check that before you committed if you really want a rim brake on it.

A caliper brake on an anodised surface would be fairly ineffective I would think. I guess you could grid off the anodising but I donā€™t think that would be a great idea.

Thanks everyone that is some good info. I didnā€™t realize the wheel was anodized. I would not want to grind the surface even if it would help. I donā€™t see much in the way of hills around here so I guess I could do without the brakes for now, maybe try something like saskatchewanian suggested.I wouldnā€™t need strong brakes just to help on the few hills I do see
I was thinking of using 127 cranks like I have on my 29 now

Do you have a welder or know somebody who is handy with one? Itā€™s relatively straightforward to add a disc brake tab and Spirit cranks.

actually I am a good welder and our shop is full of welders. I was more concerned about how to get the rotor on the stock wheel. OK I see what your saying. I have to say if Iā€™m going to go to all that work of replacing the hub and adding the brake tab and buying a disc brake kit I might as well pony up and buy a better uni than the UDC trainer. honestly I love riding but I just canā€™t justify the $$ for a new 32 with brakes right now.

Get one of these. Also, the Mad4One ISIS hub is set up for the brake to attach inside the frame.

Ah, I didnā€™t realise it has cotterless cranks. If it had an ISIS hub then it may have been something to pursue but if you need to replace the hub then I agree that itā€™s probably not worth the effort.

I kind of agree with you on that. I was going to suggest a dBrake and an outboard disc brake earlier but figured it would be a pretty expensive compromise ā€“ so out of curiosity I had a look at the current prices for what youā€™d need, all sourced from UDC US, so you might be able to get some stuff cheaper (eg brake)ā€¦ hopefully I havenā€™t forgotten anything:

• Titan 32" Unicycle: $350
  • KH Spirit dual hole cranks: $120
  • Shimano disc brake: $99
  • dBrake: $30
  • Brake mount: $16

Total for Titan + disc brake: $615

Oracle 32": $775

Difference: $160

Youā€™d save $30 if you weld a tab on the frame, but youā€™ve got to make it, align it properly, and repaint your frame too, plus you might heat damage the frame.

So you save a bit. One advantage of going the Titan+dBrake route is that you can buy the brake stuff later if you decide you need it, but it is still $265 extra onto a $350 base uni, which seems a lot to get a brake.

Edit: You might need a post adapter for the brake tooā€¦

yeah that is my thoughts as far as adding disc to the UDC
my thoughts were more along the line of picking up a used bike with the old rim brake set up and then mod it to fit the UDC frame if possible
I can make a post or handlebar for the brake lever, I would make one anyway just for riding. I made one for the 29, Iā€™m still getting used to it (but I really like it), not as in using it to ride but being able to use both hands on it while riding. for some reason I am really struggling with that, I can ride either hand on but canā€™t seem to do both at the same time. I did a ride this last Saturday and I practiced as much as I could and did better but canā€™t seem to get more than 30 to 40 yards before I get all out of whack and have to let go with one hand or the other or UPD. didnā€™t mean to get off topic

Works well enough, but takes the ano right off.

Before i bought mine i went back and forth between it and the UDC trying to justify the extra cost of the oracle and i ultimately picked the oracle because it was/is everything i want right out the box. Disk brake, isis hub for multi hole cranks, aluminum frame etc

But after putting some miles on the oracle i realize i would have been perfectly fine with the UDC. the multi hole cranks are awesome but not a must, the brake does get used but i would have been fine with the rim brake and i do not think i would have noticed a bit of difference in the steel vs alum frame for the riding i do.

I have zero regrets but if i knew then what i know now i could have saved myself some dough

The UDC frame will accept a brake and the rim is brake compatible so according to my original research you can have a 32ā€ with brakes for $400 with the UDC

That is a good point, the Titan 32ā€ seems to have a square taper hub so the Spirit cranks and disc brake arenā€™t an option without a new hub too.

It would still probably be best to check with UDC about the rim, both the UK and US sites explicitly say the Stealth2 does not have a braking surface. It might not just be the anodising, the rim side might not even be flat. That said, it isnā€™t on a downhill mountain bike, so you might be okay for braking force. :slight_smile:

We are all different of course by FWIW I have a UDC 36" that I commute around Oslo on. Oslo isnā€™t flat but I donā€™t use brakes and I run with 125mm cranks. So it is certainly possible to get away with no brake.

OK Iā€™m sold, Iā€™m going to go with the UDC 32 and look at adding caliper brakes to it after I ride it and see if I really need them
Thanks for all the helpful responses and info

I just called unicycle.com USA and they did confirm that the frame and rim are compatible with a rim break. Iā€™m not sure why they do not offer a machined version since that is the only brake option for that frame but the braking surface is there nonetheless

Post pics and your thoughts when you get it AJ! Iā€™m sure I will eventually end up with the 36ā€ version since I already have the 32ā€ covered

WeaponizedBacon :smiley: too funny
Thanks for that, I was thinking about doing just that before I pulled the trigger.
now I just have to decide if Iā€™m going to wait until after the holidays and just go for it. I think this time Iā€™m going to get a couple things to change right off
like the pedals,seat clamp and shorter cranks, I donā€™t care for the rounded pedals that come with them and I like the easy release clamp rather than the alan head screws and Iā€™m used to the 127 cranks with the 29 so I think I will be OK with the 32. I think the seat might be OK

Thanks for that, that is pretty decent of you to call them ā€“ it is good to get confirmation direct from them. Like you I have an Oracle 32", so Iā€™m not looking to get one of these, but as well as aj1500 it might well be useful for someone in the future.

Iā€™ll be interesting to hear what caliper fits and how it performs.