BrakeFast Schlumpf Brake Adaptor

Sadly, no. I should have but I haven’t thought about it at that time. As I said before, I’m not very experienced in wheel building so I only thought it was my fault. :frowning:

I would say not so much. I finished to build the uni on July, 18th and haven’t done long rides. I’d say I was at ~200 km.

I don’t think so but I have finished to disassemble the wheel when it was dark so I haven’t yet checked carefully. I’ll look at it and keep you informed.

1 Like

So, the hub doesn’t seem to have been damaged. That’s great news.

I haven’t seen on Monday that 2 of the 9 others screws have been cut, too. The other half flange has become a bit loose but it was not really perceptible. However, that means both half flange are probably now unusable for a #400+ Schlumpf hub. Sadly, both hubs I own are #400+ :frowning:

1 Like

Update on this thread and my issues with BrakeFast! Last week, I received a new BrakeFast from UDC UK (:partying_face:).
I had still not fully dismounted the old broke one. When trying to remove the last screws, two of them were still hanging to the half-flange. Because of thread lock, two screws heads wore before I could remove them… That was frightening. Hopefully, there was enough space for me to use a metal saw and cut both screws without damaging the hub - at least I hope so!

By the way, I saw that the simple flange wasn’t holding great. The screws there were a bit loose. That may have been one of the reasons why my BF failed. I’ll try to put some thread lock on these screws before building my wheel again.

2 Likes

I remember on facebook there was a comment about T9 vs T8… I can’t find it anymore. They said T9 fit their’s better.

I had a T9, it was too big. I bought a T8, and it felt small. The tips on the T8 driver got twisted, and I had to file/sand it back. Afterwards, I used it very carefully to finish assembling my brakefast.

Randomly just now, I checked another T9, and it fits perfectly…

Measurement of each one:
Teckman T8 2.20mm - Too small
Bondhus T9 2.53mm - Too big
Hyper Tough T9 2.38mm - Perfect

Specification should be:
T8 - 2.31 mm
T9 - 2.50 mm

Thus, it seems like a well toleranced T8 or a small T9 would work well.

I’m considering taking some time later and filing back my T8 until it’s around 2.30 mm.

2 Likes

Coming back to the BrakeFast adaptor! Depending on your brake caliper, your brake adaptor, your frame and maybe your hub series, you may have to file more or less the rotor screws, the brake adaptor and the brake caliper (this last one is the scariest!). Even with a lot of filing, you may not be able to put your brake as you’d like it to be, because the rotor screws may hit the caliper. It has been bothering me for nearly 2 years now. And I may have found a solution!

Do you know the extremely short-headed screws (link in French, the English website seems to work badly)?
Those heads are extremely flat so they don’t hit the caliper nor the adaptor! That’s a massive helper if you don’t want to mess up with your brake!

The bad point is that they are expensive: 0.87€/screw. But that’s just 6 screws so I guess it’s OK to avoid filing a 100+€ caliper :wink:

Notes: you’ll want M5x10 screws. Those should not be countersunk, unless you want to machine the BrakeFast and/or the rotor.

1 Like

I used these on mine that I used when testing the Brakefast, but only as they were just what I had lying around at the time. I did chamfer the disc slightly as well to help them seat and get lower profile again.

1 Like

I can count myself among their number. Yep - my 32h BrakeFast is built to the hub that started my Schlumpf addition/passion/obsession.

I’ve taken apart my G26 - the first wheel that set me off on this path, and using its hub #M274 it has been a delight to set this up with the powder coated 32h adapter with the most likely plan to build this into a copy-cat P Frame set up using a 700c rim and narrow ish gravel tyre.

That decision still awaits. But I have this part ready for whenever my rim of choice is clicked and arrives.

Such a great process following the video (thanks Roger!) and the quality of this item is second to none.

Happily the hub appears to have been hardly used - always believed that was likely the case but having cleaned it up I can see this new chapter of the hub having tons of life left!

:gear::heart::grinning:

5 Likes

Anyone here have any views on doing the hub prep needed for Berd Spokes to the BrakeFast adapter itself?

There’s something seriously terrifying about taking their drill bit to your expensive hubs to ream material away, but once you’ve done a couple you begin to realize it’s a fairly straightforward and low risk operation.

This quote here from this page: Review: Berd PolyLight Fiber Spokes | The Loam Wolf

It’s kind of reassuring. Both that others are concerned and that it isn’t that bad when you get started.

I still see the BF flanges having a decent amount of metal on them and they seem fairly smooth already, so I would hope it would be a slight removal of metal operation.

The “good” part here is that you’re doing actually doing this to the hub but the adapter. The bad part is, there aren’t spares available if you end up messing up and breaking one of these now rare adapters.

But there is definitely the appeal from a wheel geek like me to picture a G27.5 with light carbon rim and these spokes. Just feels “right” given the very adapted nature of the hub + BF adapter.

Would others call me foolish or on to a fun project?

1 Like

Fun project, definitely! :grin:

1 Like

Cool.

I have been reading more and they seems to give a more complaint feel to bikes. As in more flexy.

Not too sure we want that in unicycle wheels.

1 Like

As far as I remember, @Vogelfrei80 has laced a wheel with Berd spokes. They may have information on how the unicycle wheel behaves.

1 Like

Have you seen latest LightBicycle news about Berd Spokes?

2 Likes