Brake lever stem

Hey,

I am getting brake bosses welded onto my Muni, but as I have a Miyata with a Carbon Fibre base, drilled to a Miyata plate I was going to get a stem welded on to it.

(THIS IS A GOOD TIP - WHEN DRILLING A CF BASE, DRILL IT TO FIT A STANDARD SEAT POST, AS THE MIYATAS ARE HARD TO GET. THIS MEANS IF YOU SNAP IT LIKE I DID, YOU CAN GET A REPLACEMENT!)

To weld a stem on for my brake lever, the end has to be grinded down to fit around the seat post so it can be welded.
So instead, I am going to use a bar end of a b*ke.

I was wondering how far from the seat post to the brake lever (the clamp preferably) it is. I am using a HS33, so most people with brakes will be able to tell me - hopefully!

A pic or two would be nice too!

Cheers,

Joe,

Just pick a bar end that is as straight and long as possible, put the lever on, and play with it. Then cut off the bar end at the proper spot and move the end plug. This method is reliable and straightforward and works with the myriad of bar end choices out there.

Look here for a pic or two of bar end use, but not with the HS-33.

I found that getting a bar end with a bend in it worked quite well, coz the bend in the bar means you can mount the lever at a bit of an angle. That might depend on the width of the seat though - if it’s at too much of an angle the lever/hose will catch on your leg. That does mean that if you want it at a certain angle you can’t move it around very much backwards or forwards, so a straight bar might be better. I find having the lever at an angle (as in going left to right, not up adn down) makes it easier to use as the way I hold the handle means my fingers are around the side of the handle. But that might just be me.

Either way, I’d go for a normal bar end rather than anything welded so that you can take it off or move it if you need to.

John

Being able to move the bar laterally is a big advantage over the welded kind of seatpost, or even the seatpost adapters. This enables one to position the brake lever optimally for leg clearance and minimize the amount of the extension that has to be cut off.

Thanks guys!

I’m going to get one next weekend!

Joe,

I got it:

It is good, but is low. I have to reach quite a bit to pull it. I will try bending it, so it comes closer up.

I am going to mount the other bar end (you had to buy two! :() facing backwards to mount my computer. I had no space left, then thought that was a good idea!

Joe,

These work pretty well but you do have to trim them. You could also mount your computer head on the seat tube; it’s likely to be better-protected in that location.

Thanks U-turn

I found some new bar ends on our tandem… they are great for the Muni:

I am going to mount the computer facing in over - it should be protected there!

I am going to test it tomorrow! :slight_smile: Cant wait…

Joe,

or,you can always mount a bar-end under your seat sandwich

brake adapter 2.jpg

Hey Jag.

That is cool!

I remeber that from when you were making it. I was just reading that thread before too!

I shall see how mine holds up…

Cheers,

Joe,