Brake lever position on Nimbus 36

Yeah i have it on the right prong, angled in slightly, with a nice chunky set of grips. Had to cut the right one shorter because of the brake handle body.

I left my grip uncut. That meant there was half an inch or so of ‘unfilled’ squidgy grip at the end, which gave extra absorbant UPD protection :smiley:

STM

Pictures

PLease post picture if possible.

Here :slight_smile:

STM

sorry I can’t help, but a better thread title would have been Brake Lever Possition on T7

Oh, the Irony

Ironically my T7 broke the day that my new break arrived in the mail. (yesterday)

Then you can give it a new break and have deja vu all over again! (Sorry, couldn’t resist)

Nice ride, Semach!

Thanks a lot. It was a great unicycle. Those photos were taken just before I sold it. It was sad to see it go, and I miss it… but I love my Schlumpf more :slight_smile:

STM

What part of it broke?
corbin

Lever ABOVE the handle

This is funny, but there is something I LOVE and that seems to be not shared a lot across the RSU community.

I am actually putting my brake lever such a way that it is ABOVE the handle, not UNDERNEATH it - which means one will press DOWN rather than UP to brake.

As usual, a little picture is certainly better than a boring speech… :slight_smile:

After 2 years of daily use, I find this setup to be extremely accurate (I use my right thumb to control the lever) and practical (because no UPD could ever damage it).

Any other people doing this???

Cheers, MadC.

STM, do I see cranks that aren’t 100mm on there?

yes. but you don’t see cranks that are not 127mm on there :slight_smile:

STM

come on, 100’s are so much more fun (but I don’t know what the hillage over in Nottingham is like)

brake lever on top

Since we don’t need to use a lot of force to brake and the lever can’t be broken due to UPD the top mount makes sense.

Anyone care to comment further on brake on top of T7 bar?

yes, how do you lean your weight down on the bars during normal riding, doesn’t the handle get in the way?

The handle or the lever? I guess you meant the lever, right?

Well, I guess the angle the lever makes compared to the horizontal is crucial here, in order:

1. to kind of “kiss” as well as possible the opposite hand’s natural thumb position without requiring it to be bent or excessively extended while braking
  2. to not get in the way of the same side’s hand.

That’s probably a little “try and fine-tune” loop process - but it really did not take me too long before I could find the ideal angle, corresponding to my own needs of course.

I really encourage those of you who have never tried this setup to give it a chance, as I found it to give more accuracy than “the normal way”.

And on top of it, the 4 other fingers can freely continue holding the handle, even when the thumb is used for the braking, i.e. they are not impacted by the action of braking, which I believe is a cool advantage in that it helps smoothing further the “riding experience”.

Of course I do NOT use this setup for Muni - only with my 36er for road riding, commuting to work, etc.

Cheers, MadC.

so basically you have it leant in enough that you can get your wrist directly above the bars to take your weight, but you can easily hook the lever with your thumb when needs be? I might well give it a try. When i brake with the lever in the down pisition I leave my first finger and thumb around the bars and use the other three fingers to pull the lever, meaning my overall hand position doesn’t change.

Yes, exactly - I could basically hold the bars permanently and with both hands without being disturbed by the lever at all, even though my preferred way of riding is rather to have only the right hand on the bar, and the left hand/arm free to move and react in case I need to suddenly adjust my balancing.

Give it a try! You may have to insist a little bit and not reject it after the few first minutes of riding, though.

OK, I see. But this means you have only 2 fingers really holding the bar, while I’ve got 4. :wink:

Cheers, MadC.

I cut my brake lever back so it would be protected by the handle, here’s a post with pictures from another thread:

It survived a fall that my right hip didn’t :slight_smile:

Roak

Ps. No, my seat is no longer canted up that far…

I fitted a brake lever to the centre pipe of my T7 when it was fitted, that way it was well out of the way, and it could be operated from each handle.

The only problem was I had to open the lever clamp a lot more than I would of liked to get it around the centre pipe.

As I said on another thread, I ended up taking off the T7, and the lever is now fitted to the normal position under my saddle on my KH 29.

Innes