Brake Lever Mount

Has anyone else seen these brake lever mounts over at municycle.com? Scott Wallis has made some similar brake lever mounts, but this is the first I’ve seen of a mount like this that was commercially available.

I like this style of brake lever mount better than using a bar end, special rail bracket, or funky seatpost. The Municycle.com solution is cleaner and less likely to get in the way.

uni_brake_lever_mount.jpg

John,

I made my first handle-mounted brake about 5 months ago, and right after that Darren Bedford posted pictures of some that he made and had apperently already shown at TOque or somewhere. I don’t find them in his photos now and don’t know if he is selling them.
I will be making them for both my “handed” handles and for conventional applications, but I am not sure how soon I will have them widely available.

Email me and I will make you a prototype to test.

Scott

The disadvantage to this setup, that I see, is that the finger-lever connection is very poor. This disadvantage is shared by the seatpost and rail bracket configurations. If you add a Delta extender, most of it has to be removed for leg clearance and you get only one finger on the lever.

The only commercially available setups that actually form a good finger-lever connection are

A) the bar end, which can yaw right or left depending on the rider’s handedness, in conjunction with a delta extender,

B) the modified brake lever, which has been posted about recently, which zigzags to present a 2-3 finger surface to the rider,

and C) the slightly heavier, but more capable modified GBDS setup that George and I co-developed (photo here) for non-hopping, cross-country, and road riding applications. Ben P-S recently used that setup racing in Canada. This presents the lever to the hand just like on a normal bicycle handlebar. The GBDS handle is available through me, made by George.

Also I think Scot Cooper and Rick Hunter have developed something adjustable, for Coker long-distance riding, too extensive for smaller unis.

There is also someone recently on the forum who has done a Reeder-like handle-brake combination which looks really nice, but is a one-off so far.

There have been some paddles, or cross-bars, developed for the straight-on approach, Scot Bridgman did a one-off I think, perhaps Darren Bedord has one for sale.