Brake assisted coasting

Finger glide.

Disk Brake Gliding?

Now that I have a disk brake on a unicycle, this brake gliding thing seems much more doable. Are there any instructions for how to get started?

Scott

Why not Beau-Glide?

It is more related to gliding than coasting, since you are applying friction to the wheel in some way.

I was just about to say the same thing, but thought I ought to check the second page first :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: wait, this is an old thread. Why was this bumped?

Oh, right:

I suggest learning how to glide first, if you can’t already. Then practice taking your foot off the tire and using the brake lever instead, I guess.

I don’t think learning how to glide is important or necessary (and in fact it would take a lot longer than learning brake gliding, unless you can already wheel walk).

You can probably get started by riding forward at moderate speed, and using the brake to brake to a stop. Take your feet off the pedals before you’re fully stopped; gradually extend the time you can have your feet off the pedals.

W i d e-Glide!

Or “Semi-Coasting”

To do the trick, get good at modulating the brake. Gain some speed, lean slightly back and grab the brake – apply enough friction so your feet are “really light” on the pedals. Get used to that, then just take your feet off.

corbin

step one is “find a hill,” then

I think you’re right, but I also think that everyone should learn to glide anyway :wink:

You don’t need a hill. You can easily do it on a muni or coker on flat ground; just get up to say 15mph or so (or slower if you are learning). Hence the first video…

corbin

I think Beau-Gliding should be the name, for the reasons Foss listed early on.

Wide-glide is already a Defined Term, and in a broader community.

Finger-gliding should be a defined term, with no connection to unicycling.

Is there a second?

brake gliding…

I think we can all agree that an appropriate name for gliding with the brake instead of the foot/feet is “brake gliding”. Coasting involves not touching any moving parts of the unicycle (pedals, spokes, cranks, rim or tire). Gliding just eliminates the pedals/cranks and you can touch the tire or rim.

Only Terry is still clinging to the coasting name since he is so keen to learn coasting but is looking for a way to make it easier. You can coast during a glide but you can’t glide during a coast. Sorry Terry! :stuck_out_tongue: Somehow I think normal coasting would be easier than brake assisted coasting, having never owned a unicycle brake.

wurd, same thing as gliding

Hence my first choice, “Wide-Glide”, since your feet are spread out while doing it. And btw, it was Corbin who used “coasting” in the thread title.

I have the perfect name for it:

Power Glide! :sunglasses:

Last post.

how bout…

brake glide.

Guys I just had this genius idea… Brake Glide??

Beau Glide is cool too, but at least in street and flat naming tricks after someone always ends in controversy. Just tell Adrien that he’s landed a smooth sejflip and you’ll see what I mean :stuck_out_tongue:

I can see why you might want to clarify the difference between brake assisted gliding and brake only gliding.

Name it broken feet after Ken Looi and his love for being hurt.

Oh, also, I meant if you wanted to do it with your feet on the frame, even though doing it with your feet hanging out in the air is way cooler :roll_eyes: