Bourbon Street Unicycle

Last Wednesday and Thursday nights I finally got to Bourbon Street in Naw’Leans. Both nights were pretty mild as crowds go. Weather was cold and damp and seemed most the patrons were workers from the Hurricane Katrina reconstruction crews.

On Wednesday my business associate and I had dinner at K Pauls. Absolutely outstanding. We walked the street later but since my associate was not a drinker and it was late we called it a night.

On Thursday I was solo so I headed down for dinner. I had just stepped from Canal Street to Bourbon street when I heard someone call my name. It was another business associate (also with an expense account). Had another great dinner at ZydeQue with a couple Abita beers then to Pat O’Briens for a good cigar and a Hurricane.

We left Pat O’s and were walking my associate back to his car when we came upon a man walking a TORKER LX 20 with air seat and pinned pedals. Imagine my surprise to see a uni on Bourbon Street. I asked if I could give a try and noticed the two Abitas and the Hurricane seemed to have affected my ability to ride well. I was able to pull off a rolling hop onto the sidewalk, backwards, one footed, and a suicide mount. The side mount was strangly difficult and I couldn’t do a jump mount to save my life. Thank goodness for the denim or I would have had some good pedal tracks on my calf. I decided to quit as the Hurricane seemed to have a progressive effect.

He said his name was Sam, had been riding for about a year. We chatted briefly and parted ways.

Later I ran into him again. He said I was one of three who asked to ride that night. He was in town for business and had packed the 20 with him. He is from north of Boulder, CO. Knows some of the Boulder crowd.

Sam, if you lurk here thanks for the ride.

I really should pack my own uni more often.

Nice write-up Steve. I’m very glad to hear that K-Paul’s is still in business after Katrina. It’s one of my favorite restaurants in the world, and current 1st Place holder in my worldwide quest to find the perfect creme brulee. I can’t get enough of their twin tenderloins with Debris Sauce. Did you try that by chance?

I don’t wanna sound like an a*s, I love New Orleans and all (been there twice) but if you wanna have the best crème brulée in the world please come pay us a visit. :smiley:
After all, it comes from here :sunglasses:

I wish I had bumped into a unicyclist when I visited New Orleans, you’re lucky Steve.

Tom,

I had beef the night before and the Pork sounded really good.

I had the Cajun Jambalaya, Blackened Stuffed Pork Chop Mushroom Zinfandel, and Chocolate Hill, all washed down with a couple glasses of Merlot.

…I wonder how many beads a unicyclist could earn by doing tricks on the Street.

Crowd: “Show us a trick.”

Unicyclist: “Show me your beads!”:wink:

I think he meant best creme brulee in the United States. :smiley:

Fair enough…
I’m sure they serve the best chicoree/cofee mix in the US, and definitely the best hurricanes in the world :smiley:

US has nothing to do with it. I mean the best creme brulee that I have tried. My current sampling has included a number of countries outside of the US, although unfortunately not yet France. To Tieum’s claim, I’ll have to one day verify for myself, but I reject the assumption that because a country invented something (or at least named it), that they hold perpetual claim to being the best at it. Too many examples through history of other countries improving on ideas pioneered elsewhere.

But as long as I’m on the topic of making claims that leave the French aghast, you must know this: prior to K-Paul’s vaulting to the top of the list, the previous best creme brulee I had found–and I have trouble believing this myself–was in a small hotel in Bracknell UK. Yeah, I know.

Might have been a fluke, as I’ve never returned to try it again and see if they are consistent over time.

So is New Orleans climbing back onto its feet? I hope so. I spent a few days there years ago and always intended to go back. Memories of a fantastic afternoon in the Famous Door. New Orleans was a world treasure, not for the geography or the architecture, but for the unique musical heritage, and the street parade culture.