Bought a Nimbus Drak 29". Learning to Ride...

When i was looking at unis I was deciding between a kh and nimbus and a nimbus was stronger and 400 less so nimbus make its self the winner

Thank you for the update. I learned to ride on a 24 inch Schwinn and broke that 5 years ago. Since then I have been riding a KH trials uni on and off road including my basement.
I would like something to ride around town and 1.5 miles to work for exercise. I would also like to take it on some local Mtb trails. Nimbus Drak sounds like the way to go especially now with a young family. My only hang up is cranks for this type of use?

I use 137/165 double holes. For Muni, they’re great.

150mm is a good middle size for muni. I find them comfortable enough for spinning, and pretty good on hills. If the terrain is flat where you are, 125mm might work. But I have trouble climbing with such short cranks (it might be just me – the best climber I’ve ever ridden with used 125s with a 29" wheel. Don’t know how he did it). 165s work very well on hills but feel gawky and awkward everywhere else (again this might be just me. You get used to what you have).

On the street, 125s feel better. It’s too bad the 125/150 dual hole KH Moments aren’t on sale anymore at UDC. I think those would be perfect.

These? I have the Drak and asked for these for my b-day next month, along with a Big Apple 2.0 tire. Now that winter is over it is time to turn it into a road machine for riding to work.

After searching and reading the forums for the last few months, I have been torn between 125s and 150s. I did see that UDC has 125/150 double holes in stock again and that would be easier than switching cranks although more expensive. For the money getting a Drak with 150 Ventures and 125 Qu-Ax for $10 might be an option. Or the way I am leaning just getting 125 Ventures and using my 137 KH cranks if they are too short for light Muni. Most of my riding will be around town for exercise and the extra speed would be nice.

How do you guys like your Pi Bars?

Thank you for all the advice. It is a huge help to get specific information.

The 150/125 moments are more expensive, but for me worth it. I still am really bad on hills and want access to 150s’ for hilly rides, but I also want access to 125’s for speed. So, even though they are more money, I think the dual holes will be worth it.

I love the pi bar. I noticed in increase in speed and better climbing. I still only use 1 hand. Since it attaches to the seat post, I ended up having to cut the frame. I am just a little too short. Now I have a light I can attach to it for riding at night and a gps.

I like my Pi bar pretty well. Very adjustable and easy to lock down solid so you can put your weight on it. The only thing I wish I could change on it would be to make it longer. I too only ride with one hand 90% of the time. A handle bar has helped immensly with my climbing as well.

Sorry for stupid question: is this http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles/muni-24-29/29-nimbus-muni-unicycle-black.html Drak with just another name :thinking: ?

You bring up a great point about climbing hills. I like the idea of being able to ride just about anything even if it means at a slightly slower speed. I have attached some aerial photos of where I live. It would be a shame if I limited myself especially off road in this area. Some roads around here are quite steep even in my neighborhood and on my commute to work. Maybe I will have to check out the 125/150s or just see how the 150 Ventures work since switching around might be a pain. I really don’t plan on riding over 5-10 miles on the road.

The other thing I like to do on my 20 inch is ride backwards. I imagine this maneuvering would be easier on 150s.

Thanks for the help.

Sure looks like it…

http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/mountain-unicycle/nimbus-drak-29-inch-unicycle.html

If you read the parts list, you will find that they are not exactly the same, but are very similar.

I guess crank length is more about what you ride the most. Compromise. As cool as Muni is, most of my riding with be around town, eventually to work, and my neighborhood during my son’s nap time. When I do get to the trails they will probably be rails to trails so 125s are probably the way to go. I have read that on the road 125s can climb just about anything with practice. Again thanks for the help with my indecisiveness. Just needed to talk it out.

Well, I’m still riding as much as possible and loving unicycling. Since I bought the uni, I’ve only ridden my mountain bike once or twice. Normally it would have been 2-3 mountain bike rides per week. I’ve been doing 3 mile, light muni rides with minimal elevation change and “skill building” rides around the property in between. On friday I rode my first “difficult” trail: http://www.strava.com/activities/47388284 . On my mountain bike, this trail normally takes me around 35 minutes and I can do it without stopping. On the uni, I was out there for 1h 45m and had to stop MANY times. I wasn’t as hydrated as I should have been but it’s clear that I’ve got alot of learning and improving ahead of me. This was my first time to do a large climb and I found out how important it is to use the saddle handle.

Every time I ride I’m learning something new and I’m constantly thinking of questions. Thank goodness for this forum.

Today was my birthday and my family bought me the Nimbus “Street” that I asked for! Seeing those unicycle.com boxes sure is exciting! I haven’t really had a chance to ride it yet.

So… I’m pulling uni parts out of the box and I notice… It’s got KH Spirits on it! The unicycle.com order page just has the option for Venture 125mm, KH 125mm or KH 137s. I asked for the 137s and I figured they would be Moments!

That is outstanding! My family does not love me that much… So i am waiting for my KH 20" Trials uni… next wednesday!!!

I love the nimbus in all black! and the new decals look tight!

…Then I saw some tiny white scribbling on the rim that said KRIS HOLM and its drilled! I’m not sure how this happened because my family did not spec any custom build when they ordered it. The unicycle.com web page clearly states that this uni comes with Nimbus Dominator 1 rim. Anyway, I’m really excited.

You have some loving family members… They would of had to contact UDC and have it custom ordered >_< but people who don’t ride unicycles don’t know about these things O_O Excited to see a review

I am blessed with a great family. Thank you.

After work today I rode for about an hour and a half. I really like the Street so far. It took more getting used to than I thought it would coming from the 29er. The 19" wheel size is SO much more maneuverable! The turning radius is amazing on this thing. I practiced still stands and idling with pretty good results. Much better than on the Drak. I rode a few times seat in front but not for very far. Anyway, the Street is shaping up to be a great uni.

I put it on my scale after my ride. 5.170kg (11.4 lbs) with Nimbus Flat saddle, uncut 300mm post, Nimbus two bolt clamp, Street frame, Nimbus hub, KH trials rim, Cyko Lite tire, unknown tube, KH 137mm Spirits, Nimbus studded pedals. The bag on top of the saddle has the pedal pins and reflectors that I removed. I wanted an out of the box weight.