Black Bear Rampage 40 Mile XC Race

Just saw the recent posts here about the Rampage. I had a really great time. After riding unicycles off and on for 31 years, this is the first time I’ve ridden with other unicyclists. Also, the first time I’ve entered any event.

I’m now planning on making it to the Asheville MuniFest October 28th-30th.

Riding with other unicyclists definitely adds to the experience. There were six of us that started the 'Rampage, but Jeff and BenNC took off fast from the start, so we didn’t see them until the end of the race. Jeff was faster than 14 of the mountain b*kes I believe. Makes me want to work harder on my MUni skills, that’s for sure.

After about mile 14, I still felt great, but I didn’t want to have to keep stopping every 20 yards to dismount for the oncoming mbikers,(who were all very encouraging with their comments by the way;“You’re the man”,“You’re my hero”,“Stud”, etc. were comments that I’m sure all of us heard along the route!). So, I chose to head to my Suburban to retrieve my video camera and my 36er, so I could get a little footage.

As I cruised around the finish area I got the chance to meet and converse with some very cool people. One couple I met is planning on releasing a DVD of the event in a few weeks with all of the video and still footage that they took during the ride. I’ll post about it in this thread when it becomes available.

The organizers told me that they had nothing but positive comments from the mbikers regarding our unicycling presence at the event. They want to see more of us next year, and they are planning on reconfiguring the route so as to avoid the stream of oncoming traffic next year.

NurseBen let me try out his GUni 26er after the race, it was the first time I’d ridden a geared uni. It took a few minutes to get used to, but I was psyched that I was able to complete my first upshift without falling. I vow to get one soon, and make it into a 36er GUni…(mostly for road riding, I want to try for 30 mph; 20 is my top speed on my ungeared 36er).

Speaking of 36ers, I think a 36er would have been great on a lot of the course, but there were a number of hairy steep rock-garden sections that would require some great braking and advanced MUni skills in my opinion. I am ordering some longer Sinz cranks today, so I can 36er MUni on more of the trails at Chicopee (Gainesville, GA).

Okay, guess I’ll stop with the story for now. Can’t wait to ride with you guys again!

Rhino

1st Place - Jeff 2nd Place - BenNC 3rd Place - Chris

Black Bear Rampage 2011.jpg

Well done guys!
Out of curiousity, any stats on the trail? e.g. total climbing, %age singletracks.
Sounds like a 26" Guni was ideal for this course - 36-like speed on most of it but still tackle the rock gardens…

Teddy

It would not have changed the situation much, maybe moved the majority of the passing to a non DH section, otherwise it’s a format problem.

What I’d like to do is offer an alternatiev start point for the muni folks so we’re off the course with the 20 milers or at least we can avoid the two way traffic areas, but I need to look over the course map again before contacting David and Doug.

Overlal it was a very positive enviroment, lots of bikers from up my way, seems like the word is getting around, that unicycles can ride with biker :slight_smile:

What was really fun was passing the bikers on the two mile road section, they didn’t expect that from us!

Thank you from the Black Bear Rampage

Thank you to all of the munis that came out! We had a blast and you all added heaps to the fun. Jeff won a super sweet pair of Oakleys with his first place finish! Congratulations to all of the munis that raced - you guys were amazing! Next year, we will have a course for you all that won’t have you dodging the traffic. We will skip the 2 mile road climb and put the racers directly onto the trails at the WWC. Plan for more pain!

traffic issues

[QUOTE=Nurse Ben;1478770]
It would not have changed the situation much, maybe moved the majority of the passing to a non DH section, otherwise it’s a format problem.

Starting at 7 would have placed the munis far enough ahead to where there would have been NO head-on traffic and limited passing. I prefer a later start, however, and an improved course to eliminate the traffic issues. We will get the new course posted asap!

What a winner looks like…

https://picasaweb.google.com/104977292381854182881/2011Rampage_B_Creek#5652284725344865906

Congratulations Jeff!

-black bear rampage

Congrats again to all the “plank owner” MUni riders. You will forever be the first to do so at this event. Huge respect! I was extremely disappointed I could not compete because of my stress fracture! Kills me! :angry: :frowning: Next year I’ll be there! I for one still like an early start, especially if there is still the MUni option to go 40 miles. I can see if you’re doing the 20 mile then a later start would be fine. But for 40 miles I need as much daylight as I can get!

Hopefully I’ll be cleared to get back to running/MUni in the next month or so. :smiley:

Thanks FUNI…

I can’t wait to come back next year, especially with the new changes you are proposing.

Welcome to the unicyclist.com forums, hope to see you back again…are you one of the guys that rides a uni too?

I’m looking forward to getting a copy of the DVD that is being put together from footage taken at this years event. Should be out in about 3 weeks I’m told.

Rampage uni

I have been riding since age 12 - about 32 years. I don’t get the time I want on my unis because of too much work and family stuff (only one child on a uni so far). Kids will both be in college next year, and I’ll get more time on my wheel. :smiley: You guys inspire me!

Funi (Dave, Doug?),

For sure, skipping the road section and having us start at the WWC would be awesome; that’s exactly what was on my mind! A short and easy route for new riders would be fun too if you can figure out a route, maybe out the Copper Road and back?

It was a really well done event, felt like the bikers were very supportive, no neg vibes anywhere; though I did hear later about a certain grumbly who didn’t want to wait for us :roll_eyes: