Black Bear Rampage 40 Mile XC Race

Thanks for sharing the event…

I just registered yesterday. The site (prerace.com) kept locking-up on my computer, so I registered over the phone. They were very helpful. I didn’t see my registration show up under the MUni category yet, but I’m sure it will eventually.

It would be great if there ended up being at least 5 to 10 of us for the event, but no matter how few or how many unicyclists make it, it will be cool to ride with other unicyclists.

Do you think my Nimbus 26 MUni with 137/165 Moment cranks will be suitable? I’m guessing the route would be a little rough on my 36er…

MuniSano, what set-up will you be using? Good luck on your Badwater event.

Damn, the race jersey is so sweet I’m tempted to register just to get it.

Yeah, I like the race jersey too, although I think there will be a new design for this year but I’m sure it will be just as sweet. Not sure I understand the whole leprechaun riding an angry looking black bear but hey whatever!

@TheRhino: My plan is to ride my KH24 GUni with 137mm cranks. This combination has worked really well for me in the past. I’ve ridden 50 miles at a XC 12 hour race with nearly this same setup and did just fine. Well, it’s also all I’ve got! I could put the 150s back on there but I really feel the 137s are better can spin so much faster on the flat stuff where I can’t use high-gear and then where I can use high gear, roads, I feel a lot more stable riding faster. I’d agree a 36er would probably be too much for this course though with long enough cranks I guess anything is possible! I’m hoping I can get out to the Tanasi trail system for a pre-ride before race day to scope it out, but I may not get the chance. I’m largely going by the trail beta I’ve gotten from other riders, which was all positive in making my decision to go for it. Plus we’ll have plenty of time and aid which was my main concern. I know that worst case I can run this course in 7-8 hours! ha!

So I’d say the Nimbus26 with the dual holes would be pretty good. I doubt you’ll want the 165mm but it’s good to have a back up for when you get tired. My main experience with 26ers has been with 150mm cranks which I liked a lot; actually about the same ratio as my 24er with 137mm cranks…

Bump.

Registration is still open. Looks like one person signed up for the full 40 mile Epic and two folks in the 20 mile version.

Unfortunately I’m out! I sustained a stress fracture to my heel about 3 weeks ago and now I’m relegated to a cam walker boot for at least 2-3 months! :astonished: While I’m allowed to ride I don’t dare risk riding MUni so I’m stuck riding easier pavement and gravel roads for a while and NO running! Damn! First injury in my 20 years of running where I couldn’t run!

So good luck everybody and I hope to ride with you next year!

So, I see three people registered:

Dale Smith 41 Opelika, AL
Christopher Skelton 48 Athens, GA
Bill Mueller 43 Flowery Ranch, GA

Are you guys on the Forum?

What’s your plan for eating and staying?

I think Bill (the rhino?) is the only one doing the 40 miler now that munisano is on injured reserve. Personally, since it was his idea, I think he shoudl come and provider support :wink:

So, I’m planning on doing the 20 miler, and since the ride won’t take as long, I worked out a “late start” with the RD where we can be at the end of the beginner biker group and avoid all the passing issues.

Anyone else interested in starting the 20 miler after the bikers?

Any other Southeast riders up for this race? It’s $100 with shorts/bib and swag, might get a reduced price if you don’t want the shorts. I’m going to ask about that, then I’ll post the RD’s response.

Sunday, September 11th, 2011
http://blackbearrampage.com/

Hey that’s great to see so many riders committed. I truly wish I could do it. I’ve been riding more miles than I ever have on my unicycle since I can’t run. But they are road miles not MUni miles! So I’m training to do a solo century ride sometime before the end of the year, why not? Anyhow I doubt I’ll be coming up for the Black Bear Rampage as I’ve since made other plans once I knew I couldn’t race. I just got the ball rolling on this, it’s you guys that are going to carry it forward! Awesome!

Good luck and hopefully I’ll see you next year if not sooner. There is a Bump & Grind XC race back in June.

Can’t wait…

Hey NurseBen, now that I see that the other registered riders are all doing the 20 mile version I’m tempted to switch to that too. I have a feeling the 40 miles offroad will be brutal. I’m guessing that 40 miles offroad on my 26er is going to feel similar to the 100 miles I did on my 36er on the road…

It would be fun to get to ride with other unicyclists. I’ve been riding for 30 years, and have never ridden with another unicyclist.

I suppose I will stick with attempting to do the 40 miles. I think I start at 7 AM or something, so maybe I’ll see how things are going and join the rest of you when you all do your start if that is feasible.

I plan on going up to check out the course the day before the ride, and then probably stay the night after the ride day too. If anyone on this forum that is going wants to maybe share accommodations send me a PM. I’m leaving from just north of Atlanta, so we could also potentially share a ride from here too. I have a big Suburban that could carry us, otherwise, if I’m going up solo I will probably take my Goldwing.

The closest mountain bike trails to me are only about 15 miles away. They are maintained by SORBA, and it’s called Chicopee Mountain. I hope they are adequate training for what I’m about to encounter in Tennessee!

You’ve never ridden with another unicyclist?

Man, that is a situation that needs to be corrected ASAP!!

The forty miler is gonna be rough, I’d consider doing it except I’m not up for having the entire pack of bikers passing me three hours into the ride, then again on lap two…

The twenty miler is plenty of riding, you’ll be tired at the end, those trails are not easy. I’ve ridden similar trails and twenty miles will take 4+ hours.

So if you decide to ride the shorter distance, it’d be great if we can ride together, but for sure I’m going to start after the pack so I don’t have to move for bikers.

Send me a pm with details on where you’re staying, maybe we can hook up before or after the race.

There’s also an eight hour race, the Reverse Ocho, at Panther Creek State Park, October 1st. I rode two laps on that course in the Spring, ~18 miles in six hours with a break in between. Nice course, great support, very relaxed environment.

So, anyone know the other two rider?

@NurseBen: Seriously what’s your phobia about bikers passing you? :wink: It’s really no big deal, plenty of room to pass. I’ve done several races with mtb’ers and they’ve all been very respectful going by; no biggy. Also, I don’t know where you’re getting this “two lap” information, AFAIK it’s ONE big loop, the 20 just does a shorter route (cuts out some of the back trails). Believe me, with the heat we’ve had this summer I’d much rather start as early as possible and get some time in the bank and deal with some passing riders than start later in the heat of the day. But that’s just me… Anyhow, good luck everybody. I’m busy trying to heal my heel! :smiley: Perhaps will be well enough to race a 9 hour race in Oak Mountain in November, we’ll see!

Nobody from the race has reported in yet, probably still too sore! Ouch!

Anyhow here are the results I found online:
http://ontracktiming.com/bbr/

Looks like there were only MUni finishers in the 20 Mile race distance, nothing reported for the 40 mile race:

1. Jeff Ray 2:38:31
  2. Benjamin Richardson (BenNC) 3:24:32
  3. Christopher Skelton 4:09:27
  4. Eric Mintz 4:56:00
  5. Benjamin Kadas (Nurse Ben) 4:56:04
  6. Bill Mueller DNF

So wish I could have been there! Darn poor timing on my part to get a stress fracture!

Can’t wait to hear some of the stories!

[QUOTE=MuniSano;1478739]
Looks like there were only MUni finishers in the 20 Mile race distance, nothing reported for the 40 mile race:

1. Jeff Ray 2:38:31
  2. Benjamin Richardson (BenNC) 3:24:32
  3. Christopher Skelton 4:09:27
  4. Eric Mintz 4:56:00
  5. Benjamin Kadas (Nurse Ben) 4:56:04
  6. Bill Mueller DNF

QUOTE]

I would like to ask a big research favor.

I really wanted to do this race. But it didn’t work out. Maybe next year. I would be very interested in everyone’s rig. Most of the time I ride MUni36 with 170 cranks and no brake. I do have a brake on the Road36 (125s produce a lot of torque) and could switch things around. I haven’t experimented yet, but I have to think that I wouldn’t be as apt to aply smooth braking if I was going down a bumpy path… I have a KH24, but it is slow like a bulldozer. I’ve never ridden these particular trails either. But I have been there to raft the Ocoee. I can only imaging the trails had some very difficult spots. But also quite a lot of gravel road type XC.

Anyway, in preparation for next year, would you please provide the details of your rigs and comments as to what worked and what you might do next time.
Reason for asking: I really wanted to do this race and I would like to know if MUni36 with 170s will work.

I would like to ask a big research favor.

I really wanted to do this race. But it didn’t work out. Maybe next year. I would be very interested in everyone’s rig. Most of the time I ride MUni36 with 170 cranks and no brake. I do have a brake on the Road36 (125s produce a lot of torque) and could switch things around. I haven’t experimented yet, but I have to think that I wouldn’t be as apt to aply smooth braking if I was going down a bumpy path… I have a KH24, but it is slow like a bulldozer. I’ve never ridden these particular trails either. But I have been there to raft the Ocoee. I can only imagine the trails had some very difficult spots. But also quite a lot of gravel road type XC.

Anyway, in preparation for next year, would you please provide the details of your rigs and comments as to what worked and what you might do next time.
Reason for asking: I really wanted to do this race and I would like to know if MUni36 with 170s will work.

Eric might not chime in, but we rode most of the race together and he was riding a 24 x 3 with 165’s, which was slower than my 29 x 2.4 with 160’s, but honestly we were both riding what we’re used to riding, so we both did fine.

Eric did mention that he’d consider bringing his 29er next time if he had more to practice with it. Bill was on a 26 x 150, it was new to him, but he seemed to do fine. Chris, Jeff and Ben were on 29ers, don’t remember crank lengths, obviously they did fine :roll_eyes:

There were eight registered, but only six started, We all started after the bikers, ~9:20am, so being passed by bikers was a non issue for the most part, maybe Jeff and Ben had more of that since they were riding much faster.

Overall it was a tough trail, harder after the first 2/3, which seemed like it took 1/2 as much effort as the last 1/3 of the trail. We had bikers riding into us starting about mile 8-9, this was ongoing until about mile 15 for Eric and I.

It wasn’t the passing that was a problem, it was the head-on riding on narrow single track against 300 bike racers. It was so bad that at the mile 13 aid station, Bill chose to drop than to continue dealing with the “dodge game”.

Great race overall, the only downside was the head-on riding, which was a significant issue, enough so that I’m not sure I’d do the race again as it’s currently configured.

Next race coming up is the Reverse Ocho Oct 1st at Panther Creek State Park in Tennessee, this is a Eight Hour Endurance Race, single loop consisting of 8.7 miles of mostly single track. This is a very laid back race, attracts at most 80-100 riders, easy passing, all rideable. Andrew Fletcher and I completed two laps last Spring on the same course in six hours with a big rest between laps.

Congratulations to all the riders! Looks like a fun course.

@NurseBen: Do you think the head on issue would have been mitigated by an earlier start for the unicyclists? That was the main reason when I was discussing unicycle entries into this race with the RD that an early start time might be best… I’d think being passed later on would be better than facing oncoming, speeding riders? Perhaps a route change could be made for next year to help with this issue? Anyhow, I’ll be there if at all possible next year. Looking to possible late Fall event at Oak Mountain and some events next Spring as well.

Just saw the recent posts here about the Rampage. I had a really great time. After riding unicycles off and on for 31 years, this is the first time I’ve ridden with other unicyclists. Also, the first time I’ve entered any event.

I’m now planning on making it to the Asheville MuniFest October 28th-30th.

Riding with other unicyclists definitely adds to the experience. There were six of us that started the 'Rampage, but Jeff and BenNC took off fast from the start, so we didn’t see them until the end of the race. Jeff was faster than 14 of the mountain b*kes I believe. Makes me want to work harder on my MUni skills, that’s for sure.

After about mile 14, I still felt great, but I didn’t want to have to keep stopping every 20 yards to dismount for the oncoming mbikers,(who were all very encouraging with their comments by the way;“You’re the man”,“You’re my hero”,“Stud”, etc. were comments that I’m sure all of us heard along the route!). So, I chose to head to my Suburban to retrieve my video camera and my 36er, so I could get a little footage.

As I cruised around the finish area I got the chance to meet and converse with some very cool people. One couple I met is planning on releasing a DVD of the event in a few weeks with all of the video and still footage that they took during the ride. I’ll post about it in this thread when it becomes available.

The organizers told me that they had nothing but positive comments from the mbikers regarding our unicycling presence at the event. They want to see more of us next year, and they are planning on reconfiguring the route so as to avoid the stream of oncoming traffic next year.

NurseBen let me try out his GUni 26er after the race, it was the first time I’d ridden a geared uni. It took a few minutes to get used to, but I was psyched that I was able to complete my first upshift without falling. I vow to get one soon, and make it into a 36er GUni…(mostly for road riding, I want to try for 30 mph; 20 is my top speed on my ungeared 36er).

Speaking of 36ers, I think a 36er would have been great on a lot of the course, but there were a number of hairy steep rock-garden sections that would require some great braking and advanced MUni skills in my opinion. I am ordering some longer Sinz cranks today, so I can 36er MUni on more of the trails at Chicopee (Gainesville, GA).

Okay, guess I’ll stop with the story for now. Can’t wait to ride with you guys again!

Rhino

1st Place - Jeff 2nd Place - BenNC 3rd Place - Chris

Black Bear Rampage 2011.jpg

Well done guys!
Out of curiousity, any stats on the trail? e.g. total climbing, %age singletracks.
Sounds like a 26" Guni was ideal for this course - 36-like speed on most of it but still tackle the rock gardens…

Teddy

It would not have changed the situation much, maybe moved the majority of the passing to a non DH section, otherwise it’s a format problem.

What I’d like to do is offer an alternatiev start point for the muni folks so we’re off the course with the 20 milers or at least we can avoid the two way traffic areas, but I need to look over the course map again before contacting David and Doug.

Overlal it was a very positive enviroment, lots of bikers from up my way, seems like the word is getting around, that unicycles can ride with biker :slight_smile:

What was really fun was passing the bikers on the two mile road section, they didn’t expect that from us!

Thank you from the Black Bear Rampage

Thank you to all of the munis that came out! We had a blast and you all added heaps to the fun. Jeff won a super sweet pair of Oakleys with his first place finish! Congratulations to all of the munis that raced - you guys were amazing! Next year, we will have a course for you all that won’t have you dodging the traffic. We will skip the 2 mile road climb and put the racers directly onto the trails at the WWC. Plan for more pain!

traffic issues

[QUOTE=Nurse Ben;1478770]
It would not have changed the situation much, maybe moved the majority of the passing to a non DH section, otherwise it’s a format problem.

Starting at 7 would have placed the munis far enough ahead to where there would have been NO head-on traffic and limited passing. I prefer a later start, however, and an improved course to eliminate the traffic issues. We will get the new course posted asap!

What a winner looks like…

https://picasaweb.google.com/104977292381854182881/2011Rampage_B_Creek#5652284725344865906

Congratulations Jeff!

-black bear rampage