Bitten by a dog

On a cycle path on the edge of a built-up area I was unicycling past a
little girl on a tricycle when this dog (German shepherd) came running
at really high speed straight to me and passed between me and the
girl. I thought that the dog might come to her ‘defence’ so I asked
her if it was hers but she said no. Then the dog came back, ran beside
me for about 5 metres, barking. I was a bit scared but pedaled on.
Then it bit me lightly in the lower leg which was bare. I shouted
HEY!! at the top of my voice and jumped off the uni. Two people
sitting on a bench nearby had seen everything so I asked whether the
dog was theirs but they said ‘Fortunately not!’ I said that it bit me
and they confirmed they saw that. No damage to be seen on my leg
though. By now the dog was gone, I remounted and rode away.

Kutbeest!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

If the crank is moving then it really sounds as if it’s loose. - onewheeldave trying to pinpoint the cause of a clicking crank

just be glad that little girl didnt bite you…

I feel for you Klaas Bil, all the more reason to always carry an AK-47 with you while uni-riding. j/k
My only dog bite was also while unicycle riding. When I was very young, about 9 or 10, I was going for a distance record without stepping off. At about the 2 mile mark, a tiny little chihuahua ran off it’s owners porch, across 150 feet of yard, across the road, and bit into my ankle.
The whole time, this little dog was barking to the top of it’s lungs. I fully expected it to stop a few feet away, like most dogs. But it didn’t. It bit me to the blood.
To this day, I consider all tiny chihuahuas to qualify as footballs. :smiley: I hate the little mutts. --chirokid–

Bites

A few weeks ago I was riding through a residential area, and a young girl was walking her dog, I think it was on a leash. The dog got excited and ran up to me as I passed, and bit the cargo pocket on my trousers which contained some gloves. It did not hurt, as the dog only bit at material, and the only evidence was the dogs slobber on my trouser-leg. My pedals give out worse bites. I was not expecting it, and neither was the girl who restrained her dog after it was too late. That was the first and only time I have been bitten by a dog whilst riding, but I have been given a fright many times while riding past a fence and heard an explosion of dog-barking.

Re: Bitten by a dog

Translation, please!

Dave (uni57)

I’m back… :slight_smile:

I’m always cautious when approaching a dog. I was approaching a couple walking a leashed dog on a wide bike path the other day, when I got even with them the dog suddenly freaked out and leaped straight for my face. The man holding the leash jerked it back as the jaws of the dog came sapping shut just millimeters from my face. The man was laughing so hard he must have thought it was the funniest thing he’d ever seen. I was not amused.

Re: Re: Bitten by a dog

Family forum, sorry no translation. I’m just counting that no Dutch minors are reading here :slight_smile:

Klaas Bil

That’s awful! Hope you’re all right. I would have been shaken up pretty bad, even if it was a ‘light’ bite.

I’m surprised this topic doesn’t come up more often. I’ve been confronted by angry unleashed dogs on dozens of occasions. I wonder if it happens a lot to other people, or do I just have bad luck?

The closest off road ride to my house also happens to be the favorite dog walking park in the neighbourhood (not to make it sound easy, as there is some pretty viscous downhills although the main path is blindingly easy). I inevitably get my share of phycotic dogs and their oblivious owners. I had one time when a dog snuck up behind me and bit my tire a few times, then I dismounted. I also had one bite my thigh, although the pocket on my jeans kept the bite from doing any harm. I don’t usually get these responses when I’ve got my own dog with me. Mabey cuz he’s a 100lb alpha male. He is strong enough to occasionally give me a lesson or 2 in pull gliding. He’s usually very tame, though. Funny, I think he’s senile. I also agree that chihuhas are horrible, although not threatening cuz my cat is bigger than 2 of the things. I usually get afraid that when they chase me that they’ll get injured by my pedals. I’ve found that I can tell if a dog will respond to me from at least 10 feet away, and have learned when to dismount and when to go climb the nearest tree;) just kidding.

I’ve come to the conclusion that dogs just don’t like unicycles for some reason. Here in rural texas at the hours i ride (early morning or late evening) sometimes it seems like all the dogs are running wild. Most of the time a good loud yell will send them running, but i’ve had several that keep coming…they always seem to try to bite at the pedals or my feet! I’ve become quite skilled at a rapid dismount/grab the saddle/swing uni at aggressive dog move. Maybe we should add that to the “redneck skill levels.”

Chuck

Maybe it’s because Victoria has so many cyclists, but I have rarely even had dogs bark at me. There is one dog that I see regularly, however, which gives me the most curious looks. I think that it can tell that I am not a bicycle, but it doesn’t know what to make of me.:slight_smile:

A friend of mine rode nearly half a mile on his uni because a dog was chasing him. He finally jumped off and climbed up a tree. I’ve decided that if a dog tries to attack me, then I’ll jump off and grab the uni, and hit him, and whack him, and beat him, and if he doesn’t run away then I will.

You should have picked up a tree branch (or the unicycle) and started swinging it at his face – “millimeters” from his face – while laughing hysterically. Which is no different. Except that you would go to jail.

That sorry excuse for a human being has inspired the following thought –

A leash has two ends. Which end had the Kutbeest?

Dave (uni57)

There is something about a person on a unicycle that freaks out some dogs. The dog will be perfectly fine with a bicycle or walker going by them right ahead of you, but when you go by them on a unicycle they can get unpredictable. It might be the wobbling motion of the wheel, it might be the arm movements or upper body movements that we make while riding, it might be our higher cadence and rapid leg movement, or it might be that the poor dog just doesn’t know what to make of this strange moving thing. Whatever the cause, it is prudent to be prepared for unpredictable dog behavior when you are on a unicycle.

Hey Chuck,
What part of Texas are you in?

About 60 miles southeast of Dallas, Kenny.

“gerblefranklin” <gerblefranklin.ttlw9@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in
message news:gerblefranklin.ttlw9@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
>I’ve found that I can tell if a dog will respond to me from
> at least 10 feet away, and have learned when to dismount and when to go
> climb the nearest tree;) just kidding.

I hope you are kidding. Many breeds of big dogs can climb trees.
Shepherds have been known to jump up and grab people 18-20 feet high
thinking they are safe in a tree.

All dogs get triggered by movement, some more than others. That is the main
reason kids get bitten or knocked down, because they decide to run away. The
best thing to do is get off, and stand your ground. Then move away slowly.
Be careful of making direct eye contact. In the dog world that is a
challenge.
And if the owner is around, beat the pulp out of them…its not really the
dog’s fault for being a dog.

As both a Unicyclist and a German Shepherd Dog owner that really bothers me
to hear that the owner was so irresponsible. A Shepherd can take down a
resisting 250lb man without much difficulty. And they do have a very strong
prey instinct, so they should never be running on the loose.

I had a run in on my bike with a German Shepherd junkyard dog that got loose
down by the water front where I was riding that day. It was coming after me,
so I pedalled as fast as I could, and it still kept closing in on me. I was
looking behind, and could still see it coming, and perparing to bite my leg.

So I turned, looked at it in the eyes, and shouted in a deep loud voice at
the top of my lungs “NO!!!”.
“Hey” doesn’t mean much to a dog, but every dog knows what “NO” means. It
stopped right away, then still pedalling as fast as I could, I left it
behind. By the time it occured to the dog to chase me again, I was too far
away to make it worth while. But I can pedal my bike 40-50KPH on level
ground…if I was on my Uni, I think he would have taken another shot at me.
And the last thing I would want to do is kill somebody’s dog.
But a Shepherd can kill me, and I wouldn’t give it the chance, even if it
messed me up bad. You were right to be afraid. It is very scarey to have a
big dog treat you like prey. You are lucky it was only playing with you. Had
it wanted to hurt you, it would have pulled you off your unicycle, and
savaged you.

I hate irresponsible dog owners.

“Klaas Bil” <klaasbil_remove_the_spamkiller_@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
news:3f6633ea.12240059@newszilla.xs4all.nl…
> On a cycle path on the edge of a built-up area I was unicycling past a
> little girl on a tricycle when this dog (German shepherd) came running
> at really high speed straight to me and passed between me and the
> girl. I thought that the dog might come to her ‘defence’ so I asked
> her if it was hers but she said no. Then the dog came back, ran beside
> me for about 5 metres, barking. I was a bit scared but pedaled on.
> Then it bit me lightly in the lower leg which was bare. I shouted
> HEY!! at the top of my voice and jumped off the uni. Two people
> sitting on a bench nearby had seen everything so I asked whether the
> dog was theirs but they said ‘Fortunately not!’ I said that it bit me
> and they confirmed they saw that. No damage to be seen on my leg
> though. By now the dog was gone, I remounted and rode away.
>
> Kutbeest!
>
> Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
> –
> If the crank is moving then it really sounds as if it’s loose. -
onewheeldave trying to pinpoint the cause of a clicking crank
>

yes it does come down to the owners,except around here with Pit Bulls;it comes down to the breeders.

when breeders make puppys fight for food its a bad situation.

the same happened on a uni club day

the same happened to one of my friends but he was on a 5ft giraffe so it just chased him but it could not touch him or bite him just to add a lighter note
ben