Birmingham Circus Convention

This Saturday sees the 10th Birmingham Circus Convention, it’s an all day event with a hall set aside for unicycling and unicycle hockey and workshops as well as all the usual juggling convention type events and a great show.

For more info check out http://www.bhamcircus.co.uk/

It should be a good day and I am hoping to do loads of practise and improve my riding quite a bit, would be nice to have people to ask when I have problems so feel free to come down.

Re: Birmingham Circus Convention

who’s organising the UniHoki?

Re: Re: Birmingham Circus Convention

That’d be me. Although considering the quality of the pitch we’ll be using, it’s more like MuniHoki. Always a laugh, though. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Mark.

Considering Richard used a 26" Muni for the hockey last year does that mean 29ers are acceptable?

The three of us are attending, both the kids are looking forward to hockey. Hopefully it doesn’t clash with the kids show.

i think i went last year and performed but cant really remmember lol! nice facilitys and lots of room to unicycle.

Trev

Re: Re: Re: Birmingham Circus Convention

during our recent juggling convention in Hibberdeen, we went to the local tennis club to find out if we could use one of their courts for the UniHoki
sadly they didn’t even allow people with leather shoes on their courts, and at fullmoon…
they had one court that was beyond stuffed and they said we were welcome to use that
one corner had an area of about 1/8 of the whole playing surface that was virtually a no-go area
(on 20" freestyle unis anyway, u’d make it in a monster truck)
the game ‘paused’ several times with everybody just idling on the edge of this area, waiting for one brave soul to venture forth and retrieve the ball

it was a bit different to what we’re used to

29er? Go for it.

The Kids’ Show is after the hockey - a chance to chill out (or settle the kids while we have another hour of hockey)… :smiley:

Regards,
Mark.

i know u guys used to rule the waves
pardon me while i wave the rules on this one…
just kidding. i’m (hopefully) about to get into some coker-riding and i’ve been thinking about taking it into a game of UniHoki to get the freemount and general maneuvering of the machine down pat

that’s the kind of thinking i like

Re: Birmingham Circus Convention

GILD wrote:
> markw wrote:
>
>>29er? Go for it.
>
> i know u guys used to rule the waves
> pardon me while i wave the rules on this one…
> just kidding. i’m (hopefully) about to get into some coker-riding and
> i’ve been thinking about taking it into a game of unihoki to get the
> freemount and general maneuvering of the machine down pat markw wrote:

We, in Derby, UK, had a uni hockey “big wheel” game. We had a coker, two
29ers and a 24 on one side against (I believe) two 24s and three 20s.
Very much a case of the fast vs. the agile :slight_smile: We do play on a reasonably
large pitch which helps.

Ace fun though, I’d highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Roger

So… how did the convention go?

I know Leigh enjoyed it :slight_smile:

Any pics?

Joe,

Re: Re: Birmingham Circus Convention

The bit which is nice about that from a coker riders perspective is that the pitch has a wooden barrier to about waist height, with a wire fence above that. And the important part is that the wire fence has quite a lot of give in it.

Given that the only thing a coker does well in hockey is ride about 3 times as far as the defenders in the same time to go around everyone and smack it in the goal, it means that once you’ve taken the shot you’re still going rather fast, and straight towards a wall. I like hockey, but I also like my wrists. I suspect if our game had been in a gym it would have been a tad painful.

Edit: Just seen your hockey photos. Wall but no fence - my method of stopping might be rather interesting with that setup. The coker would stop fine when it bashes into the wall, the rider would then do a superman / forward roll out of the pitch. Could be fun to watch.

John

Yeh the convention was great.

I dont have any pics though, i was too busy doing everything i didnt even think about taking pictures.

I spent most of the day in a small group doing acrobalance, it was great. I learnt some really nice stuff, now i need to find a willing base to practice with :smiley:

I did manage to do some unicycling as well and catch up with the usual crowd :slight_smile:

The show went well with a very interesting headline act… his humour was great!! i coudnt stop laughing! There was a high standard of juggling as well, very impressed! 3 balls juggling above head to juggling behind back… was very cool!

I hope someone else managed to get some pictures.

I had a great day at BCC and learnt loads, I can now freemount almost every attempt, My general riding has also improved from general practice on the Municycle hockey pitch when there was no-one around to laugh at me.

Got loads of good advice from Roger when he wasn’t zooming around on his two wheeler and saw loads of great stuff happening.

I didn’t get any photos but if I see any floating around I will add a link here.

Pete