Bike to Uni conversion

What is the easiest way to do this? I have an old bike I would like to try convertirng. Has anyone done this, what pipes did they use from the bike?

e39m5

Are you looking to make a giraffe unicycle with a chain or a standard unicycle?

i made one out of a tricycle

You can make a BC wheel with the front wheel.

I wondered about this before I owned a uni, but only now do I see the solution…

To get a uni from a bike, you would have to use the front fork as a frame, cut a split in the top to allow a seatpost to be snugged down, and stick a seat and seatpost in there… from here you could wheelwalk, or if you need cranks then you would have to lace a uni hub into the rim to allow the attachment of cranks… then you can chop the sprocket off and use those cranks or get uni cranks and bolt em in.

A bicycle rim won’t be very strong though, for unicycling. You’re putting twice as much weight as it was meant for, so it will probably come out of true and deform as you ride…

Not to mention, unless you fit a uni hub to the wheel, it will only have the dinkey axle bearings.

Also:
If you put a uni hub on, the fork wouldn’t have any way to interface wit hthe bearings. you would need to chop off the regular axle grabber bits and rpelace them with bearing holders, of a precise spacing…

And!!:

If you get a BMX with a long seatpost or something, and change the angle of the seat to ride a wheelie, and change the rear gear to something much shorter, and weld that freewheeling cog in place so it can’t freewheel, you might have something that could be riddin a bit like a unicycle.

Or it might be totally impossible, haha. I thought about doing this before, but I just got the uni instead.

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by recycled
[B]A bicycle rim won’t be very strong though, for unicycling. You’re putting twice as much weight as it was meant for, so it will probably come out of true and deform as you ride…

We are all riding around on bike rims (except for kh5 owners).

Search “unibiker”

Would it be possible to take the crank hub and put it in the wheel?

e39m5

Not really. The bottom bracket of a bike isn’t very much like the hub of a unicycle; among other things, it doesn’t have holes for spokes, so it can’t be the center of a wheel without significant modification. If you somehow figured out how to put hub flanges on one, it might be possible, but it would be hard to do that in a way that would be sufficiently strong.

Well, I have the front fork detached, all that went well. I cant get the seatpost into the fork though. Any suggestions? Its a little too big.

e39m5

Buy a unicycle.

Already did that, ITs shipping :slight_smile: Any suggestions with getting the seat into the post?

e39m5

wd40 maybe.if it will fit at all,might be hopeless.

its like a MM too big, grrr. Im looking for thinner seat posts i have lying around.

e39m5

Now Im trying to manage some pedals. Screw the seat for now. I already hit a problem, the dang wheel wont come off the frame so i cant mess with anything. I cant mess with anything. I’ll keep trying.

e39m5