Bike MS 2010 - Unicycling For a Cause

Hello Fellow Pedalers,

It’s that time of year again, when I ask for your help to support a very important cause. This is the sixth year that I’ll be riding my unicycle in the annual Bike MS ride to raise funds to fight Multiple Sclerosis. MS is a horrible disease, insidious and unforgiving. The cause is unknown, the cure not yet discovered. It’s also widespread…and most people I know are no more than “two degrees separated” from MS. If they don’t know someone with MS, they know someone that does. Probably you don’t have to look far in your own circle of friends and family to find this to be true.

To help the fight, on September 11th and 12th, I’ll be riding again. While I create a post like this each year, I still hesitate to send anything that could be seen as “spam”. But I think this is an important cause, so I wanted to at least give those that want to—and are able to—the opportunity to join me in supporting this important mission. Last year, thanks to the generosity of friends, family, fellow unicyclists, and co-workers, I raised over $8,500 for the MS Society, the 8th highest out of roughly 2,000 riders. That’s not a boast about me, it’s a boast about all of you, and the strength of community fundraising.

The first year I rode, it was really just for something to do…a way to get in shape and help a charity. Then I started meeting people with MS. And more people, and more people, and their families…and it became personal. I’ve seen the effects firsthand, and also seen the tremendously positive impact that the MS Society’s work has on people with the disease. And just as the MS Society makes a big impact, we have the opportunity to make a big impact for them. Every dollar helps! I hope you’ll join me in the fight this year.

Donating is easy. Just CLICK HERE to reach my personal page, then click the “Donate to Participant” link under the thermometer. it takes less than 5 minutes to get through the process. If you’re averse to online transactions, just PM me with what you’d like to pledge, and I’ll reply with specifics on donating by check. And if you want to donate, but don’t want to donate to me, then you can always donate to Bruce Dawson, who will also be doing the ride on his unicycle.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help this year. Together we can make a difference!

THANKS!

Tom B

Go Tom and Bruce

Tom and Bruce, have fun. I’ a little busy this year. We may not make it to espesso this time.

Where will you be late Saturday afternoon? When you return over the bridge might be nice?

Joe

While Bruce and I may finish about the same time, we’ll definitely be crossing Deception Pass Bridge at different times. My return trip will probably be sometime between 1 and 2, so late afternoon I’ll be chugging up Reservation Road, or the farm roads between La Conner and Mt. Vernon. With the citrus flavored Elixir tablets, I can get both electrolytes and caffeine in my camelpak, which does the trick even though it’s a poor substitute for espresso. On Sunday, the return route takes me by the Lighthouse Espresso stand, which I always make a point to stop at (the place I met you and Lana previously).

Bumping…just 5 days to go until the ride.

Tom-

Best of luck on your ride and I hope you beat your collection goal.

Last year Tom was one of the top ten collectors of sponsorship donations for the local bike MS. This is a great accomplishment for someone doing this ride on just one wheel. Even greater than Tom’s accomplishment is the cause for which he is riding.

Even though Tom has already begun the ride you can still support him with a pledge. Please root for Tom on his ride and help him reach his donation goal for this worthy cause.

Go Tom. And go Bike MS 2010 riders (all others of whom we know are inferior to our Tom Blackwood.)

Tom Blackwood is still riding. And you still have an opportunity to donate. Every little bit helps.

Bike MS 2011 - Unicycling For A Cause

I’ve decided to conserve threads by recycling, versus creating a new one as I have in the past. This is the seventh year that I’ll be riding my unicycle in the annual Bike MS ride to raise funds to fight Multiple Sclerosis. MS is a horrible disease, insidious and unforgiving. The cause is unknown, the cure not yet discovered. It’s also widespread…and most people I know are no more than “two degrees separated” from MS. If they don’t know someone with MS, they know someone that does. Probably you don’t have to look far in your own circle of friends and family to find this to be true.

To help the fight, on September 10th and 11th, I’ll be riding again. Day 1 is 60 miles, Day 2 is 50. While I create a post like this each year, I still hesitate to send anything that could be seen as “spam”. But this is an important cause, so I want to give those that want to—and are able to—the opportunity to join me in supporting this important mission. Last year, thanks to the generosity of friends, family, fellow unicyclists, and co-workers, I raised over $8,500 for the MS Society, in the top 10 out of more than 2,000 riders. That’s not a boast about me, it’s a boast about all of you, and the strength of community fundraising.

The first year I rode, it was really just for something to do…a way to get in shape and help a charity. Then I started meeting people with MS. And more people, and more people, and their families…and it became personal. I’ve seen the effects firsthand, and also seen the tremendously positive impact that the MS Society’s work has on people with the disease. And just as the MS Society makes a big impact, we have the opportunity to make a big impact for them. Every dollar helps! I hope you’ll join me in the fight this year.

Donating is easy. Just CLICK HERE to reach my personal page, then click the “Donate to Thomas” link above the thermometer. It takes less than 5 minutes to complete. If you hate online transactions, just PM me with what you’d like to pledge, and I’ll reply with specifics on donating by check.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help this year. Together we can make a difference!

THANKS!

Tom B

You mean you didn’t single-handed-ly cure MS with last year’s effort?

Let’s try a little harder this year. Show our uni-brother some support, folks!

2011 Bike MS

Maybe a bad idea, since the thread title firmly pins it to last year. But it’s this year, and the action is going down in 5 1/2 days. Training is wrapping up, with a big push for Labor Day Weekend…every day 1,000 plus VF, 30+ miles. Next weekend it’s a 60 with 4K VF, then a 50 with 2K For a very good cause…fighting Multiple Sclerosis, and ultimately finding a cure.

Donating is easy. Just CLICK HERE to reach my page, then click the “Donate to Thomas” link above the thermometer. It takes less than 5 minutes to get through the process. If you’re averse to online transactions, just PM me with what you’d like to pledge, and I’ll reply with specifics on donating by check.

The unicyclist community rocks. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help this year. Together we can make a difference!

THANKS!

Tom B

Weather should be great! I’m busy both days this year. A cyclocross on Saturday and THE hill climb on Sunday. We probably will not make it to coffee this year! You might have to pay for your own shot in the dark this time.

Joe, give that HILL hell. I’m glad I again have a good excuse for not being able to join you, and by join I of course mean “ride in the same event but not see you after you pull away in the first half mile”.

Glad to see it’s supposed to be nice weather both days. Last year rained constantly on Sunday, which made me sad.

They canceled the cyclocross on Saturday, not enough entries this year.

We might try to find you along Saturdays ride for espresso & pictures. Please let us know what route you plan on doing?

On Saturday, I’m doing the 59 mile option, although someplace along the way I’m going to ride an extra mile. Maybe I’ll have to ride an extra two, since there are two very steep downhills that I’m going to walk this year. I’ve ridden down them in the past, but they’re hairy, and the bicyclists are whizzing right by me at 45-50 while I’m going 5. I started thinking about what would happen if I had the slightest bobble and my uni flies out in front of one of them.

The map shows the rest stops, and the lunch stop at Deception Pass State Park is probably where I’ll stop the longest. The espresso options on the Saturday course are non-existent, but if you’re in the neighborhood, would be great to see you. Will have my phone on board at themiddle4258947001number.

PS: if calculating timing, I’ll start between 7:30 and 8:00, and will be going not as fast as you would. %>)