big wheel(s)

since purchasing a 24", i have come to the conclusion that a larger wheel suits my needs more effectively.

road bikers receive a lot of attention about prostate cancer and the prolonged period sitting on the seat reducing circulation.

have those of you with 28/29 or cokers adapted your riding methods to these concerns? are you concerned? as i understand, many people enjoy several hour long rides without dismounts. is there any standing involved when riding, “just to get the juices flowing again”? are my concerns baseless?

i won’t even bother asking if a coker is better than a 29-er…

This question is asked quite regularly. The answer is don’t panic.

Road bicyclists occasionally get problems such as penile numbness and erectile disfunction. These are time trials cyclists, who ride for hours on end, on narrow hard seats, and hunched over the handlebars.

Unicyclists seldom ride for hours on end without dismounting. I count myself as a reasonably keen and experienced Cokeur, and in ‘against the clock’ conditions, I have often done an hour without dismounting, but I’ve seldom done longer. Flat out, for me, that’s 12 - 13 miles. Even if you have the ability and determination to do huge distances without stops, there will be few opportunities. There will always be a gate, a stile, a junction, a steep hill, a mad dog…

In real world conditions, you are unlikely to get anywhere near to the level of riding which would cause problems; or, to put it another way; if you were the type to get that near to the danger level, then nothing we could say would stop you.

Make sure you have some kind of handle, and keep part of your weight on it most of the time. This helps a lot, but still only leaves you in a similar situation to that of the bicyclist. An air seat, or cutting a slot down the center of your seat foam, can also help.

Has anyone actually cut a slot down the center of their saddle?

Ever been to Elko Nevada?

dan

i wonder how long i must wait before purchasing an entirely new unicycle. my mother won’t be pleased.

anyway, on my 24" with 170s, i find it incredibly difficult to maintain speeds great than i can run. it is even harder to balance with my hand on the handle, or even both. would a larger wheel and smaller cranks stabilize my system and allow me to go faster? or is it just part of the balance game? i am quite excited to travel by wheel. the only way to travel!

Re: big wheel(s)

nosabe332 wrote:
> i wonder how long i must wait before purchasing an entirely new
> unicycle. my mother won’t be pleased.

I would say, wait at least 3 years. I’d choose 1985-88. Oh, must be time
for a new unicycle, then. :wink:

> anyway, on my 24" with 170s, i find it incredibly difficult to maintain
> speeds great than i can run.

There’s a surprise.

> would a larger wheel and smaller cranks
> stabilize my system and allow me to go faster?

Oh, yes. :slight_smile:

> i am quite excited to travel by wheel. the only way
> to travel!

You know you need one, er, two, er…

Regards,
Mark.

Yes, people have cut slots in their seat foam. It works.

Yes, I’ve been to Elko, NV. Most people don’t live in Elko, though. England has been populated for thousands of years, so it’s definitely an environment worlds apart from the emptiness of Nevada!

> anyway, on my 24" with 170s, i find it incredibly difficult
> to maintain speeds great than i can run.

You can ride faster than you can run? With 170s? I don’t think I know anybody who can ride a 24" faster than running speed, except in downhill gliding, and that’s with 125’s. In other words, I’ve always had the ability to “run out” from controlled dismounts at racing speed. My highest known speed on a 24", on level ground, was 17.5 mph.

See some pictures from NAUCC and UNICON here:
http://www.unicycling.com/ofoto/uniconvention.htm

> it is even harder to balance with my hand on the handle,
> or even both.

Using the handle (or holding the seat) will make you more stable, and able to go faster more consistently, but it takes practice to get used to. One hand holds the seat and “locks you down.” The other hand generally sticks out in front or to the side, as your “balance adjustment” control. Look at pictures of unicycle races at the big conventions. Pretty much all the fast riders hold their seats.

> would a larger wheel and smaller cranks stabilize my
> system and allow me to go faster?

Of course it will allow you to go faster, but it won’t necessarily stabilize your system. That’s up to you. Caution: As the wheel size increases, the potential damage of crashes increases also. Control generally decreases as the wheel gets bigger with short cranks. But speed and distance are of course why Cokers are so popular.

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 01:59:54 -0500, nosabe332
<nosabe332.p5on1@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>anyway, on my 24" with 170s, i find it incredibly difficult to maintain
>speeds great than i can run.
Then how fast can you ride on a 24" with 170’s?

> it is even harder to balance with my hand
>on the handle, or even both.
One hand on the handle is easy but requires a little bit of practice
(in my experience). Two hands on the handle is more difficult. To be
honest, I can’t ride stably (sp?) with both hands on the handle unless
I keep my arms flexible.

> would a larger wheel and smaller cranks
>stabilize my system
I don’t think so

> and allow me to go faster?
Very likely so.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Marilyn Monroe had six toes.

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:48:18 -0500, johnfoss
<johnfoss.p6fyb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>My
>highest known speed on a 24", on level ground, was 17.5 mph.

John, was that with 125 mm cranks (the official standard for racing)
or shorter? And was that sustained over any distance or time, or just
a momentaneous value (whatever that means)?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Marilyn Monroe had six toes.

i really don’t have any more to add to this thread, but that i just need practice.

anyway, what happened to marilyn monroe’s other four toes? or is a statement that reads, marilyn monroe had six toes, not counting four of them.’?