Big Apple 29er aka "Cloud Niner"

After receiving my wheelset yesterday, I feverishly assembled my 29er last night. It was dark, cold, and icy, but I decided to brave a test ride nonetheless.

Now I understand those of you who are Big Apple devotees. WOW! It’s like a magic carpet !!! I couldn’t believe how comfortable the whole unicycle was - I was on cloud nine! The smile on my face said it all. I had been a little apprehensive with my first mount as I had heard that the transition from a 24 to a 29 was not always easy - but I got on like I’d been riding it for months. I did a spin around the block, but decided to keep it short because of black ice. Only one UPD, and it’s way more maneouverable than I expected.

It’s a bit hilly around here, so I’m starting with 152’s, but I suspect that I’ll be switching to 140’s or maybe 127’s as I get more comfortable.

Awesome, stupendous, splendid… I could go on…

I’m one of those devotees!!!

I’ve only had my Niner out for one good long ride with the Big Apple on it. I went ahead and pumped it up to the prescribed 60 psi. I was surprised at how smooth the ride was. I did some text hops and such. I think I’ll try down to 45 or 50 psi just to see. Even with a non-knobby I think it will do nicely for crosscountry.

Mostly I like the weight of the tire adding flywheel effect on the road.

The Big Apple has completely changed the feel of the niner. Good advice from gleened from this forum.

Re: Big Apple 29er aka “Cloud Niner”

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 10:59:20 -0600, KnowFear
<KnowFear@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>I had been a little apprehensive with my first mount as I had heard that
>the transition from a 24 to a 29 was not always easy - but I got on like
>I’d been riding it for months.

Your 152 mm cranks have helped there. Try it at once with 110’s or
125’s and it would be more difficult - but not very much so.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Today (31 December) is the last day this year. Happy Old Year!