Bicycle Type handlebar Setup for Distance Riding

Cool. I might have to try that on my roadie’s Shadow handle set up…

How’s the grip ‘on top’ of the bars? Like if you were grabbing them just past where they connect to the T-bar (that make sense?)

Just behind what ‘on the hoods’ would be if you have brake levers attached?

Here it is imbedded.

Exactly! Thank you!

Going with Max’s interpretation, riding on this area works fine; it’s pretty similar to using a straight bar end. It would be nicer if the ramps were a little longer, but it’s a perfectly usable position. One nice thing about riding there that regular bar ends don’t offer is the ability to rest your palms on that area but open up your hand to rest your fingers on the lower/drop part of the end - it gives the same riding position but lets you change your grip a bit.

I considered adding some dummy brake hoods but they seem a bit pricey and the setup works well as is.

That’s good to know, since your hard fall took you out of the race. I think what helps for Eenwieler is that the bars are down low, and he appears to have long legs. Both should make it easier to clear the bars in an “emergency”.

So how often is acceptable for a crash where you eat it because the handlebar keeps you from landing on your feet? Those crashes hurt! Call me a wuss, but I’m sticking with narrow, especially after the hard fall I took on Saturday.

After at least 100 road rides without drop-the-uni dismounts, I had one each on my last two rides. I hope this is not a trend. :astonished: On the first, I think I missed a shift and failed to catch the seat. I think that was the first time I’ve dropped those handlebars while riding. On Saturday it was on an unfamiliar bike trial (Lake Almanore) and the cause of the crash can be best described as “brake operator error”. I was forcing myself to practice braking with my less-skilled hand. Oops. One leeetle, teeeny grab and the uni just took a nose dive out from under me, going downhill. I used my helmet (against a sign post), broke the clasp on my signature butt-bag and had to pick pine needles out of my jersey and shoes afterward.

I recommend keeping it narrow, or at a size you feel comfortable for bailing.

Not to be morbid or anything, but you only have to UPD once to injure yourself badly.

This is exactly what I was thinking of! But with a nimbus shadow bar mount and a longer tube that I’d weld a bike stem to. Trouble it were to put the brake lever. How stable would it be on a high gear 36er…

That’s for all the pics for some ideas! I may end up mounting aerobars to it as well. We will see when I get access to the welder in the next week or so.

Don’t forget about my “V36” frame, which I designed so I could use a large handlebar and not stress the frame.

corbin

This video might be of interest to you.

Needs a bigger wheel…

ikr

With a 36 that would be super neat

Corbin I really dig your frame setup, and looked into it before. Sadly don’t have the time or welding skills for it though. :frowning: