Bicycle Euro Crank Failure

No problem with my cranks, but on a recent trek to Memphis to ride with the MUC, Ted (Boy Wonder, ™) managed to bend his doing unplanned pedal grabs. Ted weighs in at only 160 lbs. Anybody else have bad experiences with BE steel cranks?

Christopher

Hmm… UPPG? That strikes me as an interesting site. Mind elaborating?

Ted can seat under hop to rediculouse heights- most of the time. Sometimes he comes up short and catches the pedal when he ment to go to rubber directly.

Christopher

I also have be cranks, mine are 150mm and i have been pretty happy with them. i bent one realy bad doing a 3 and a half foot seat out in front drop, a couple months ago, so know i only do big drops onto steep landings. other than that they have stood up quit well.

joey

Yep, my Bicycle Euros are completely bent, ie. Like a banana, and also bent at an angle downwards if you know what i mean. Its my rear hopping foot crank that has taken the most abuse. Its still possible to ride with them, and i spent most of my time at BUC9 riding trials with them like this, but my right foot has a tendency to slip off them as the pedal is angle downwards quite a bit, causing problems, especially on big hops up or down, and riding stairs. Riding with them also leads to me twisting alot to the right to compensate for the bend i think.
Saying all that, they only reached this state after a number of 4 foot + drops, some flat bottomed and not rolled out of. Its amazing that they have survived this long i guess, given that they cost £10 (UK). Gonna have to get someknew ones thou, and lay off the big drops, as i’m gettin’ into more technically difficult trials at the mo, and need straight cranks :slight_smile:

Anyway, Cya, Oh yeah, while i remember, do you need a special innertube with a monty tyre/ rim setup, only i don’t remember ever seeing on advertised, unless i’ve just missed it? My Pashley is gettin a bit to much of a hammering, so needs some protection on the tyre front.

forgot to say, i’m about 175lbs, i think.
Tell Ted to keep riding with his cranks until some new ones come thru, in my experience they are unlikely to break.

Re: Bicycle Euro Crank Failure

“Ando” wrote >
> Anyway, Cya, Oh yeah, while i remember, do you need a special innertube
> with a monty tyre/ rim setup, only i don’t remember ever seeing on
> advertised, unless i’ve just missed it? My Pashley is gettin a bit to
> much of a hammering, so needs some protection on the tyre front.
>
I put a 2 inch long snake-bite puncture in my tube last week - I’m going to
find a moped inner tube to replace it.

N.B. Mopeds/motorbikes measure tyres and tubes from rim sizes

i.e. I’ll try and get a 15 x 2.75 tube, (if 15 inch rims exist) or more
probably a 16 x 2.75 tube.

Leo White, Cheltenham