Beware of pennies!

I was removing the bearings from my new hub so that I could easily lace up my new rim and I started noticing that the bearing puller seemed to be behaving unusually. Here’s why.

Fortunately the threads on my hub do not appear to be significantly damaged and the hub bolt still functioned with just a bit of scratchy resistance and visibly the threads appear undamaged. I think I dodged a bullet on this one, but going forward I won’t be using pennies as a protective block.

4 Likes

I saw a recommendation online that you should rethread the crank bolt in and it’s what I’ve been doing. Generally the bolt is pretty strong and can stand a comfortable amount of force.

Use a flange

I tried removing them without the crank bolt in because my bearing puller was already near the end of it’s travel. I’m just glad there was no damage since I sprang for a titanium hub and it wasn’t cheap.

1 Like

Agreed, I don’t mind damaging my unis while riding because then it’s being used. Damaging it in the shops cuts a little deeper.

Ha ha! I did the same thing but with a dime. Proof that higher denominations don’t work better :rofl:

You guys have to change currencies. I bet this could never happen with a British pound coin…

Of course not, the penny weighs only a few grams and is flimsy. Yours is a pound.

Not with good old English currency like shillings and farthings! I don’t what’s with the Brits these days. Decimalization and the metric system? I prefer to use hogsheads and drams and have a currency that requires math skills for simple transactions.

Well, a farthing (if you could find one somewhere since I think they were withdrawn at the beginning of the 1960s ) would be pretty similar to one of your US “pennies”, as would one of our 1p coins (a real penny!), so you’d have the same problem. A shilling coin (what became the old 5p coin on decimalisation) was replaced by a new 5p coin in the early 1990s and would be a bit too small but might work (a bit like a US dime) – a 20p coin might fit though… They don’t make them like they used to :wink:

Either way they could all get you locked up (with the exception of the farthing because it is too old) for “defacing a coin of the realm,” (it is illegal in the US as well as the UK I think)… maybe they wouldn’t be that harsh though :slight_smile:

Anyhow, if you do want to stick to using US 1c coins, you’d probably get away with stacking two on top of each other…

1 Like

In the UK it’s for melting down or breaking up coins (which accidentally punching a hole in one might not be considered to be as it’s still all connected together, and is how those coin crushing things are legal), in the US you have to do it with intent to make it unfit for reissue.

Well its not a good idea to use a base metal that is weaker than the material it is used against. Try a hardend washer in that diameter.

P.S. US coins are too cheap for this kind of use, or the use they were intended.

Well indeed you are correct – through the wonders of Google I learn that it seems it is legal to deface a coin in the UK but illegal to destroy it (1971 coinage act) and the converse is true for banknotes – it is legal to destroy them but illegal to deface them (1928 Currency and Banknotes act), so people writing on notes is illegal but you can set fire to it…

I however conform to the Scottish stereotype and am far too tight to damage or destroy any money, whether coins, notes or even bitcoin :grinning: ( I threw a £5 note in the fire with some till receipts one night and after quickly retrieving the half burned remains found that the bank would not replace it – I always check my receipts carefully now before destroying them!)

I’ve always used pennies just because they are so cheap. Since a washer typically costs 10 cents I’ve been known to drill holes in pennies instead. They actually cost more to produce than their monetary value.

That was where my mind immediately took me to aswell. I often use 2 or 3 eurocents stacked to pull cranks (which I can reuse a few times), so crank changes cost me a fraction of a cent each.

I was wondering at which point paying for a properly strong washer would be worth it - I guess immediately, if you factor in risk of damaging a hub in the event of a really tightly sitting crank…