Better to choose one or switch around?

What do the skills teachers have to say about this? Is it better to stick with one Uni until a skill is learned, or is it better to switch up, if possible?

If I’m having trouble with a skill on a certain Uni, I can often have better luck by switching to a different Uni.

Changing wheel diameter or crank length or hopping up on the giraffe can be just what the doctor ordered.

Case in point:
I find it easier to practice my backwards riding AFTER practicing my weak foot down idling. Both of these skills are easier on the giraffe. Then, after some degree of success, I get down on the 24" garbage Uni and typically have a good session.

But sometimes just going from the 24" to a 20" seems to help me.

But sometimes I can’t do much of ANYTHING on any of them and just give up for a while!!! But then, I wouldn’t say I have a really fast learning curve. Something I was doing last week, I can’t do today.

Do those with teaching experience think I’d learn better by sticking to one Uni until the skill is “mastered”. That way, one cadence, one crank length, one volume of mass…

Send me a 24" a Coker, a 26", a girraffe and any other uni’s you want for good measure and I’ll tell you.

But I only have 1 unicycle so I learn everything on that.

Chex

switch between sizes. when you learn on one size, try it on another size

There’s a huge psychological element in learning. It’s important to balance purposes, targets, success, challenges and all sorts of things. Every learner has his or her own balance.

One thing that is probably universal is that a learning session needs to end on a success. And if that means learning a skill on the 20 because the 24 is too hard, or vice versa, then so be it.

So much can be learned from simply performing skills you already know but in more difficult circumstances. Try idling on a steep slope, or spend some time trying to ride across a patch of loose gravel. You’ll find your balance reflexes improve, and learning another skill later will be that bit easier.

Another good learning aid is [you guessed it] a pair of short cranks. Yesterday I rode 4 miles of easy trail on my 24 with 89mm cranks. Tonight, my one footed and seat in front skills [NOT at the same time!] on the 20 were hugely improved.

i find it easy to learn a new skill on a thick tire like a gazz or something but when you learn it on the thick tire then go to a skinny one and see how you do. thats what i do and im stickin to it.