Best wheel size to learn?

Thanks for all the advice. This forum is super friendly and helpful :slight_smile:

It’s just because we’re trying to convert the whole world so we have more people to ride with. We’re not actually friendly, just extremely selfish.

Any size good to go if you wish to.
I learned on 26" and happy to ride it after learning.
Bought good QA muni to avoid spending $ on learner.

I bought a 24" when I decided to get into unicycling 2 years ago, aiming to muni in the longer run. Bought an end of line Nimbus, very good price. I’m 6ft tall and had the same thought process: get a good-ish 24 so I can use it for longer.

I practiced for a while, managed to master the thing but never really enjoyed it. Ok I’m a sort of slow learner because I like to understand the parameters of what I’m doing (as opposed to go with instinct) and I’m above 40. But hey, I use to BMX as a kid/teenager and was pretty ok with tricks.
Then I bought a cheap-ish 20" and it made a huge difference. In no time, I was able to free mount in 3 different ways and to feel much more relaxed in the saddle. Once I was confortable, I was able to transfer those skills to the 24". Then I sold the 20", just under the price I paid for. It’s only this year, with much more regular practice, that I feel confortable doing the 3 mounts on the 24… which became a KH with Duro tire for xmas, so effectively a 25". :smiley:

All that to say that if I had stayed with the 24", I would probably slowly have given up as I wasn’t enjoying uni much as I thought I would, or as much I thought I could (now). To cut a long story short, don’t get a 29" right away. If you really want to get a KH, do it, there is an immense satisfaction in getting good quality stuff (I got so much better since I have mine!) But if you feel like you struggle, keep an eye on Craigslist for a cheap 20". It might help learning the basics. And you can still lend it to friends once you’ll master the thing.

LOL @ Dane M :smiley:
For what it’s worth…I started on a cheapo unicycle and when I could ride unaided I treated myself to a better quality unicycle, A 20’ UDC club. Then as I got even better and could freemount unaided I rewarded myself with another unicylce…a 24’’ Nimbus muni
So if you want to, you can never have too many unicycles, but +1 for learning on a 20’’, just make sure the seat doesn’t come undone too easily or you’ll be forever tighening it. Also it helps to mark the front of your uni seat so you know which end is which.
Oh, and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I’m 6’ and learned on a Kris Holm 29". The 29 is a great size for riding on the streets and I doubt it was that much harder to learn on. It might even be easier to ride once you’re moving (but harder to get started on). That said, if I was starting today (and planned on having only one uni), it would be a 26.

As for how much to spend, well, opinions vary. I didn’t mind going ‘both feet in’ and starting with KH products, because frankly they seem like a bargain (especially now that I know how much thought and development went into them). And compared to many other sports, unicycling can be considered very affordable. All of my Kris Holm unis combined (6), cost less new than my one dirt bike cost used. And the dirt bike isn’t nearly as nice (relative to the market) as my unis are!

That’s not to say that a ‘starter’ uni isn’t a better idea (people suggest those for entirely valid reasons). But if you love the KH (or Nimbus or Triton or whatever), then go for it. You’ll be getting a fantastic, top-of-the-line uni for less than the front forks cost on a decent mountain bike. And you’ll probably use your uni far more than I use my dirt bike. :slight_smile:

The plan is after much though, advice and reading kris’ book to get a 26"
start with a slicker tyre then progress to the dirt tyre.

Thanks for all the help :slight_smile:

Good Luck!

20-24 freestyle

I am an officer in my school’s unicycle club. We have a bunch of club 20" and club 24" freestyle unicycles. They are great unicycles very light and easy to ride. Which unicycle to start them on is dependent upon the height of the person learning to ride.

After they learn the basics we encourage them to buy there own unicycles that are better suited for the style of riding they wish to get into.