Best wheel size for me(?)

So I just recently got into unicycling as a hobby and my account here is to get help from experienced riders, or simply folks that know a bit more than me.
I am soon buying my first unicycle and I am thinking of getting the Torker LX, as I’ve heard it’s pretty good and strong for beginners. I am completely torn, however, on whether I should get a 20" or a 24". I have done plenty of research and am aware of the benefits and consequences of each size. It’s just that my lifestyle and needs demand several things at once. Any help? :slight_smile:
I love to run and have quite a thing for speed. Since I have never ridden a uni before I obviously don’t expect anything too fast, however I do love the idea of being able to do some light, fast riding for fun. The other thing is the sidewalks/roads/ground, which, in my area, aren’t smooth at all. While this alone isn’t any reason to need some extreme trials, I would need to do some curb hopping, and the ability to go down steps with ease would be cool (not to mention some light trials!). I totally get that I will need to sacrifice something, although I still don’t know what. Hopefully I’ve explained myself pretty well. Anyone know which wheel size would be best?

Welcome to the forum!

My first uni was a Torker LX 24". I am 6’2", and the seat-post on the 24" was plenty long for me. Later I picked up a used 20" LX, and the uncut seat-post was ‘not’ quite long enough. I was able to learn some cool stuff on it, nevertheless. Something to think about.

I suggest going with the modest 20" Torker LX, assuming you’re not as tall as I. You can learn all the basic stuff on it: riding forward, mounts, idling, etc. You will feel more confident because you’re closer to the ground.

No, you are not going to be going fast on a 20", but beginners on bigger wheels don’t go so fast, anyway. You can, however, practice pedaling fast and later on apply that skill to a larger wheel.

Once you learn the basics, you may have a better idea of what interests you, regarding unicycles. The LX is not made to thrash, though it is solid enough to go over curbs, handle small hops and get dropped a thousand times, which is what beginners do. Trying anything that could break the LX implies that you, a beginner, might break yourself in the process.

I encourage you to use the search function on the forum and search for “beginner advice”, “best beginner unicycle” or something like that. You’ll find some interesting discussions.

Regardless of wheel-size, perseverance will be the most important factor in learning to ride. Keep us posted on your progress!

Cool, and thanks for the advice! My inseam is around 31-ish when I’m wearing riding shoes, and I hadn’t actually factored in height from the ground before reading your response. I’ll try out the 20", and by the time I master all I want to learn, I’ll probably be a bit taller or at least more comfortable riding a 24" :slight_smile:

I started learning to ride back in April on a 24 inch and it started pretty well but a friend gave me a 20 inch after a few weeks and I learned a lot quicker on the 20in. I am 6’2 and about 210lb. I now ride a 29er and I really like the bigger wheel now.

I think I’m going to go with the 20" LX. It seems, as you had said, a lot easier to learn on, so I’ll get another later on with a larger wheel. Probably a 24", but by then I’ll probably be able to get a nicer quality one. Thanks for the advice!

You’re asking the wrong question. Everybody starts out thinking they need one unicycle. You only need one unicycle if you only do one type of riding. But none of us do. So the question you need to ask yourself is what size wheel you want to have FIRST. If you’re also going to use it for learning to ride, I’d go for the 20". It’s great for that, plus all sorts of banging around.

Then, after you’ve been riding that for a while you can see if you still want a 24", or want to skip up to something bigger/faster. :slight_smile:

My thoughts exactly. I remember the good old days when I thought I would just need one uni…

Johnfoss is correct.

Learn on a 20inch first. Its more versatile so a large number of people still use 20 inches as well as another size. Once you get good at the 20 you will probably prefer to go to a 26 over a 24 for your jogging speed anyway.

I learnt 3 years ago on a cheap 24 and haven’t used it since. I bought a 20inch for tricks as soon as I could ride and a 26 for muni/faster riding.

This 24 wasnt strong enough for real muni and not useful for fast riding on the footpath.

I totally agree.

The 26" does sound much better for speed and muni when I choose to take that on :slight_smile:

It is very easy to become addicted to unicycling. My hope is that I end up dabbling in the different styles like you and johnfoss had mentioned, and buy a few more unis to take me along the ride as well (probably a 24", 26", and 36"). I’m definitely starting with the 20", though, since it’s closer to the ground and has more control, although I do have long legs.

UPDATE

I will be buying the LX soon (anytime as of today or tomorrow).

Anyone know where I could find a good deal on a new one? Pricing doesn’t entirely matter when the uni is as inexpensive as this one; I am noticing, though, that there are some large gaps between prices on different sites. If I can save a buck (or 20!) that’d be particularly great :confused:

Either way, price is not my biggest priority, I’m just stoked to finally take the plunge and get one. I’ll be out and riding in no time!

I am 6 foot 1 and have never needed a seat post extension to ride a 20inch.

Ive seen them on ebay before, not sure if it is the cheapest though.

Thanks, I’ll definitely check there! And also, about the 20", it seems as though you’re right. I’m nowhere near 6’ 1" but I do realize that while riding, I’ll be sitting anyway, so my legs will be bent a lot more than I had thought they would be. All the more reasons it would probably be the best size to learn on.

Well, you need one unicycle to start with…
But I’m a firm believer that that if you can’t decided options that the best thing to do is to don’t.

I’ve learned on a 24, and have teached serveral others on both 20 and 24.
For me it’s very evident that especially taller people have trouble with the 20" and opposite few small people have trouble with a 24".
I don’t know the exact length, but I believe at some point the 24" is more ergonomic since it gives a more natural feeling (compare to walking) because of the distance per revolution. The disadvantage of 24" is that it “has more speed” (which is just in your mind), in reality it’s more centrifugal force keeping you going, and so no con but a pro.
So those two things benefit.

So I’d say, when your small use 20, when you’re tall go for 24.
When you’re in between, then follow John’s advice and choose both. Or see if you can try them both before buying something.

I learned on a 24" and later got a 20" (actually a 19" trails that is still called a 20").

I am 6’1" and would also recommend the 20" for learning. Biggest plus for learning is that you have less distance to fall or step-off (which you will do a lot). I personally don’t think there’s much negative to being tall and riding a 20". Since fear is your biggest obstacle to learning, the 20" is a great choice.

I actually learned to ride on a piece-of-crap Troxel unicycle (solid plastic tire, tricycle cranks/pedals), which was really hard, but not because of the wheel size. During that experience, I had a single opportunity to ride a 24" Schwinn. I rode it about 100 meters on my first (and only) try, which was about 10x farther than my best on the smaller cycle.

But that’s not a comparison of wheel size, since the Schwinn had an air tire, wheel bearings, longer cranks, less Q-factor, etc. But I agree with Leo that for a non-short person, who’s not particularly worried about falls, 24" is also perfectly good for learning to ride.

Welcome. Your question has been asked 1000000 times before. You are no different. Search. Forget about the 24. It’s an outdated size anyway with poor tire selection. Get a cheap 20, then once you learn a 26.

+1

My reason for learning on a 20 was not that it is easier than a 24. I learn’t on a 24 and it was fine to learn on. My point was that it a 20 is a more useful wheel for most riders. Not many distance riders and not as many muni riders use 24’s anymore and its not that common in freestyle or hockey.

Buying a 24 just to learn on can end up as a waste of money if you get into the different disciplines of riding.

Smart thinking. The 26 seems ideal for later on, at this point I already own a 20", my first uni, and am learning to ride. Once I get the hang of that I might get into the different styles to figure out what interests me at that point :slight_smile: Thanks!