Best Way to Lock Up a Uni?

Little click out of one

I don’t bother locking up when I go to the supermarket. I just use the provided unicycle carriers

10 Likes

@Cedar_Dobson1 So I am new here and just saw your posting. I was at a local store today for a wee shopping trip. The last time I was in the shop I just rolled my ride around the store. This time a clerk offered to take my unicycle behind the counter. I let her, and I was free of not having to wheel it around in the store. Now, my uni is certainly smaller than what you have though, it is a 27.5" frame, but I only have a 24" wheel on it right now.

Cheers, safe riding, and may you always find all of your unicycle when you return back to it after locking it up - if that is what you choose to do.

Dawson

1 Like

@ruari I love it!

1 Like

The best way to lock up a unicycle: Buy a handle saddle and lock the handle to a pole. Admittedly the rest of the unicycle might still be stolen by someone with a Allen key, but the handle saddle is likely the most expensive part of the uni anyway… :yum:

You could also use the old trick of looping a worn out piece of bicycle chain through your saddle and through your frame and then rejoining the links.

Then you’ll just be missing the wheel cranks and pedals.

1 Like

What if you have schlumpf hub?

2 Likes

At least doing it that way, you will never buy too many groceries. I don’t think my wife would be thrilled. She loves buying those things that are not on the shopping list.

Sometimes I wheel “smaller” unis (like this 24”) through stores. I am not sure if it is allowed but so far I have not really been told off. I don’t think I would get away with it if it was a 36"

Have you tried writing a shopping list of the things you DONT need :joy:

3 Likes

If you’ve got the Schlumpf hub and they know what it is, then you’re as likely to find all your spokes cut and a missing hub.

3 Likes

loop your lock cable through the brake mount

I had forgotten about this thread when I stumbled across this patent the other week:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20090183535A1/en

1 Like

I’ve had an idea for a lock attachment for a while, arguably simpler than this. Like all cycle security it wouldn’t stand up to a thief with a battery powered angle grinder, but I think it would be reasonable. I would think most unicycle theft is opportunistic so any reasonable deterrent to just “lifting” it is probably useful.

If I ever get the time to draw it up I may well open-source it like your stuff on the other thread, I don’t think I could justify the cost of a patent. I see the status of this one is “abandoned”.

ABANDONED – FAILURE TO RESPOND TO AN OFFICE ACTION

Indeed. Honestly most patents that I have looked up (for a whole host of different things) have either expired due to passing 20 years, or due to a lack of maintenance payment within that period, or a failure to respond to something.

Would there be people who see the unicycle and don’t steal anything but damage it for fun? It was definitely cater some attention so I can imagine that happening.