Best pictures of 2022 for World Unicycling Calendar

Letting Klaas make the final selections, I tend to offer too many. So I put them in a Smugmug Album:

What are your favorites and/or comments on those?

I have 8 of them in my longlist for the calendar (which currently has 79 photos).

Your “star player” in the Rest-Of-The-World basketball team is Belgian rider Mathias Bracke, who is also the current World Record holder in IUF slalom with 17.32 seconds. I’ve known him since he was 8 years old, when he just got into unicycling.

Hello Klaas!

Some pictures of my trip in the Alps (taken by a professional photographer I met on the road):

10 Likes

I personally liked these 2 a lot:

My favourite, mostly because I have very fond memories of that trail.

Here are some of the pictures I collected during 2022. Starting with Switzerland, then Trans Madeira, and finally Unicon DH finals.

19 Likes

Wow! I saw his fast time in the results, but didn’t realize it was the new WR! I used to dominate the Slalom (formerly called Obstacle Course) since the course was redesigned in 1989 and had increasing speed records until Unicon 11, when Swiss rider Marc Haefliger (spelling may be wrong) dominated every Track race. It’s such a great event combining speed, power and precise control to get fast times.

BTW when I was asking about favorites, that was a question for everybody. It’s good feedback for me as a photographer as well!

Were you part of that group? Which one were you? On the lower part of the ride, I was just struggling to keep up (and not be coated in moon dust) and I know I was surrounded by some of the best Muni riders on earth, but am not great at getting names. :frowning:

Folks, I’ve added some more images to my Calendar gallery. Klaas commented about the loss of my camera and why no Freestyle photos. The “good” camera was already gone by then. :frowning:
So I added a couple of photos of our car, a basketball group shot just for fun, and a bunch of Freestyle, all taken with cell phones, some by my wife Jacquie. Plus there’s a few from the track, including the men’s Wheel Walk final. I included several videos also, since I still haven’t gotten my Unicon photos uploaded for public viewing…

1 Like

Mathias’s result in Unicon was not so stellar, mainly because the IUF Slalom finals were cancelled due to the weather. Still enough for World Champion though. His WR time is from the Einrad Cup Münsterland competition last September (Germany), but I have some doubt you saw those results John.

This still (unedited, only reduced in size) is from “Full performance, Expert male Individual Freestyle”. Photo-technically probably not the best shot, but I like the dynamic effect.

Does John or anyone know the name of the rider?

2 Likes

I played sweeper and tried to make sure no one got left behind up to that part of the trail. On that steep part, I couldn’t help myself and just rode through until that section/drop in the picture, it was nice and difficult but still very much rideable for me.

If anyone has podium shots from award ceremonies, that can be a big help. Unfortunately I don’t know who’s who among the Japanese riders currently. :frowning:

I was scrubbing through some of those videos in the process of choosing what to throw in that album; the other type of image I like from Japanese-style riding is sharp turns with lots of lean. I think the same guy did one right in front of the judges table; that might be pretty cool as well.

That frame grab photo of the guys riding across the lake was mostly “enhanced” by cranking up the Vibrance and adding some contrast; these are things you lose with JPEG and video compression.

There are actually two full recordings of that performance in your smugmug folder, one taken by you (John) and one by Jacquie. The first still was from John’s video. This one is from Jacquie’s, yours doesn’t have a good angle for that moment. I think you meant this with your sharp turn in front of the jury? Unfortunately, the picture quality is even lower.

1 Like

Here’s a few other frame grabs from that same Expert Male Freestyle performance. In the third one, it looks like he’s about to grab that paper from the Judges’ Table. If you like any of those and it’s not too late, I could dress it up and re-post it.
I wish I knew the riders by name! He had a lot of dismounts so I don’t think he got the gold, but still had lots of great moves. The new images start from this link:

2 Likes

Here is my contribution, taken in Karelia, Finland 1 mars 2022:).

10 Likes

I think a separate calendar of just Unicon photos could be put together

1 Like

Yes I guess so, but it wouldn’t be THE World Unicycling Calendar :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi “Freed”,

This photo is on my shortlist for the World Unicycling Calendar. Selection is not final yet.
Do you have it in high resolution, preferably original? You can send it to unicyclist (at) xs4all (dot) nl

Also, I would like to know:

Name of the rider(s) and country where they live
Location of the photo, such as nearest city. (You wrote Karelia, Finland.)
Name of photographer
Any particularly interesting info for the photo, if applicable

Thank you!
Klaas Bil

Klaas,
If a higher quality version of that photo is not available it could be upgraded with Topaz Gigapixel AI. That software does a very good job of improving lower quality images.

I upgraded that original file from 1920 x 1440 436KB to 7680 x 5760 16.2MB with a noticeable increase in quality.

I could send you the upgraded version if you need.