Best Pedals for Coker

Yeah I ride in Vans which are great for riding. I just thought to try the Haro Big Blocks that are on my Trials. I think they’d be perfect. (Alas, my poor neglected trials uni) I like the look of a huge pedal as well as the grippiness. I really would like a set of those Speedplays, but I don’t wanna spend $100+ on pedals right now.

I ridden 2 decent rides on the Haro big block pedals. They are great. I used to have to adjust my foot position numerous times during a ride. They are huge and there is so much contact with my shoe. I feel more control on hills. These pedals a great.

Tell me about it! I tried riding my Muni with SNAFU pedals while I was wearing my hiking boots on and my feet were slipping all over the place! Terrible. Smooth shoes, no prob.

What kind of cramks are those, PDC?

I use my Coker on and off road with Wellgo Magnesium sealed pedals and they are awesome!

The pins are threaded. (more sticky).

I match them up with a sticky pair of Vans (not the old cavas type).

Once you find the best pedal/shoe match, riding your Coker will never be the same again.

Adam
“Have Fun On One”

They are custom drilled Kookas. 125mm 150mm 175mm.
I have another brand new set. http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48964

Now that it’s been a couple years, any updates? I need to replace the stock Coker Big One pedals as they are terrible. What are the best ones udc sells? See here.

My current favorite is the Azonic A-Frame Lite: http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/671341_ZbvJ5#29007190_yoFih

—Nathan

I am still a fan of my snafus but I recently ordered a pair from UDC and it seems like they have changed a bit. The new ones feel heavier and don’t feel as grippy. I haven’t really investigated the pedals up close, but they do feel different to me.

Ouch! Nathan’s pedals are expensive? On a more budget-minded note, I just ordered a pair of Jim Cielencki platform pedals which, according to the page at UDC, weigh only 12.7 oz (360g). But I don’t have them yet. $34 at UDC and they come in non-ugly, non-boring colors. :slight_smile:

360g per pedal. 710g per pair.

I had a pair of the Azonic Fusion Magnesiums mentioned above. They are very nice, but do maintain them every year or so. If you ride them hard in crappy weather for several years with no maintenance, they do die in the end.

Joe

ARE THEY KIDDING? Don’t most sites give the weight for the pair? Lame. I take back my recommendation in terms of lightness… :angry:

What’s missing in this thread is any discussion about what makes a good Coker, or road pedal as opposed to other types of riding. For me it’s all about grip. With RTL looming, weight is more of a factor than usual, but the rest of the time I think of those wheels being so heavy at the outside (tire, rim, spokes) that pedal weight is not much of a factor. Also I like something that looks nice, and is hopefully not black. Silver is okay, but not very interesting…

Go with Wellgo MG-1s they’re about $30-$50 and are as light as plastic pedals with plenty of grip.

Me too. That and smooth, free spinning bearings. I’ve always liked my Eastern pedals on my distance uni (geared KH29 currently). They’re not light, but they’re solid and reliable. I’ve replaced 4-5 pins that fell out over the past two years that I’ve had them, and they’re still going strong.

I had snafus on my geared KH29 when I first started riding it, but I switched because the bearings were pretty crunchy feeling.

My pedals used to last just some weeks or months. Then they started to click.
I was always nervous about the clicking, because I never knew if it were the
pedals or the bearings.
In the end I just bought really good (and expensive) pedals with
4 bearings: friction-type bearing, needle bearing and two roller bearings.

I can recommend these Specialized MTB Pedals. They are ugly but lightweight
and kept silent until now.

I just ordered a pair of the Wellgo Mg-1s. I’ll report back when I get them and try them out. They seem pretty light and pretty grippy from what people have said and by looking at them. Plus they are decently priced…

They’re amazing pedals, especially for the low price. They’re some of the only mag pedals that you can really beat up.

Yeah I really like the MG1s too. Beau has been using a pair for a couple of years on his Coker with no problems. I’ve had several pairs - you used to be able to find them on sale for $25 but probably you’ll spend more now.

—Nathan

I find the MG-1’s too grippy and the pedal just doesn’t do it for me. I prefer something that feels more solid, and stable. When I’m revving it up, I also like to be able to make micro-adjustments to the foot position, which I find hard to do on the MG-1’s.

Currently sealed Snafus are still number 1 for me, even if they are like bricks. If they bought out a Ti spindle/Magnesium version that would be close to the perfect pedal for me.

Extra sharp hard nylon teeth

165 grams/each, very confident wet traction. I have one set that has been on the 36 almost a year, been crashed a bit, no troubles.

It is to hot here for me to wear leg gear, so I love these pedals. They grip my sneakers well, yet only scratch my legs outer skin. Metal pins just aren’t worth it to me, the tractions fine with these.

I think people laugh and think junk when they see the price. I have ridden a bunch of slippery plastic pedals, like the crap on Torkers or the radial.

These pedals have hard teeth and I ride them in the wet with no worries.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=PD1097

PD1097.jpg