Bent KH hub flanges

We established that that was incorrect.

Yes, maybe so, but has anyone actually ever broken a KH hub, or had a rim/spoke problem because of it?

I have a problem because of this I think the spokes where to short because the flange bent and then they pulled the rim towards the hub.

Are you sure you didn’t just overtighten those spokes?

Yes and it is exaktly at the postion where the flanges are bent.

Sparky, If I was rebuilding that wheel, I would toss that hub. Might be a good time to start again. Looks scary to me.

Hey yea, it seems like your the only one who thinks the same as me. Thats the way I feel. Im basicly building a uni back up from scratch and I dont want to put a damaged hub, a main component, back in. I will be very anoyed if in a few months the hub flanges pull away further (which I can quite easily see happening) and I have to rebuild my wheel. I just want to ride, I dont want to keep having weeks off because parts fail.

I have emailed Kris now to see what he thinks, we will see…

EDIT: I have scratched the black paint off a little more and I can now see the crack tracks about 5mm along the crack on the inside of the flange. I will try and get a pic of it but I dont know how easy it will be able to see it.

no, the point of the cutouts is to stop the manafacturing plant from making other hubs using KH’s tooling without paying him. Including the cutout means that hubs made with his tooling can always be identified, wherever they appear, whatever colour they’re painted. Perhaps a logo which doesn’t create such a stress intensity factor would have been better though.

But to get back on track, I really would toss that hub as the cracking is so severe. it will save you hassle in the long run, and possibly money. When your hub eventually fails who knows how many spokes, and possibly the rim, it will destroy.

If you have the money anyway and you’re building a new uni, you may as well get a new hub too.

I suggest a K1 reinforced hub and Light cranks.
Light and very strong setup, no bending flanges or cranks.

I dont have the money, I am in 6th form full time and dont have a job. Im not building up a new uni as such, I am just replacing all the parts I have broken, which seems to be most of them :o

Hmm I like the KH monent cranks too much. If I need a new hub I would probalbly go with the nimbus one and keep my cranks.

Seeing that crack I definitely wouldn’t build that into another wheel. Have you tried contacting Kris?

For what it is worth… Sparky Marky rides the crap out of his Uni. We have the video evidence to prove it, so there is no getting around that one. ALOT of these riders are taking these products way past the loads they were design for. Parts will suffer.

I’m very amazed at the abuse these hubs take on these Unicycles. I’m surprised we don’t see ALOT of catastrophic type failures in ALL the hubs. I wonder if the KH hubs were designed to bend rather than explode. I’m guessing it is a cast part. Personnally I would rather they bend, but it is a failure non the less. Most of the high end light weight Bike hubs are machined. They are strong but I have seen some flanges break which can be real bad. Can you imagine landing a 4 foot drop and have about 25% spokes let go???

Pics looking at the crack in the weld on the inside of the flange:

I circled it for if you couldnt see it clear enough in my other post. Sorry I missed the edit.

That’s pretty scary stuff, but it looks to be a slow tearing type of failure. I have seen portions of flanges break off with no warning.

I could get a failure analysis on that hub if you can get it to me. I got a buddy that checks parts for Nascar he hooks me on stuff.

I am sure you already know this, that hub is trash. There is no sense in lacing that beyond reasonably damaged hub to a new rim. Even if you did try to get some more use out of this hub, you would have a very very tough time trying to get the spokes through the holes without bending the flanges and in turn growing that crack. Just get a new hub… its obviously done for and only 62 dollars to complete your upgrade process. I don’t know if you thought about this or not but new spokes and nipples might be a good idea. if you damaged your rim and hub, then the parts that connect them have been through some stress themselves. If you don’t get new spokes, I would at least think about new nipples as those threads can wear out.

Won’t Kris be able to replace the hub aswell?

Or is it only Profile that does that?

Isaac

Maybe. However under warranty or not, I think a new hub is in order for his wheel build. He said that he would not buy a KH, and would get the nimbus… so getting the hub replaced just to sell, whether its fair or not, Is not the issue. I would think he can justify buying a hub, without getting one free.

You could send me the hub, i would try to take off the flanges and build myself a 32 hole hub :wink: Before you throw it away :smiley:

I understand it’s a bike axle (bottom bracket) with flanges welded on it.