Bent Hub

Hello people.

I have a nimbus 20" and when performing a cleaning i found that the hub is bent on the spokes “axles” (? how do you call this BTW) below is a pic.

I like to know, can i fix it, i thought of just hitting it back with a hammer, but maybe i can brake it… or should i buy a new hub?..

Maybe i been riding it a long time like this but i have not clue since i never noticed…

Thanks for the help.

That’s the hub flange.
I don’t know how you could fix that, but if the spokes/wheel seem to still fit properly, then you should still be able to ride it. However, it being bent might mean it might break soon, sooner or later.

Thanks Harry, I guess was hoping for a fix way out of it… anyway i have not other option that keep riding it like this until i can buy a new hub…

I wonder it this happens often to all street/trial riders or if this is an amateur lacking technique.

Cheers.! :smiley:

Could this be from a failed grind or similar?

I am not really sure what caused it, but i guess it might has been me jumping to hook on high obstacles… becuase i dont know how to grind yet :o, but the concept is the same…

Is there a uni frame that protects this lower part of the flanges? i know the frame for kriss holm seems to be longer on the lower bracket but still there is risk of hitting the flange… i havent seen impact frames…

There are hubs with smaller flanges which would help them being covered by bearing holders:
http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycle-parts/hubs-bearings/mad4one-aluminium-isis-hub-36-hole-100mm.html
http://eng.unicycle.se/unicycle-spares/koxx-one-reinforced-isis

Great!! i didnt know this ones, i will look for them…

Thanks a lot.

That’s my guess. Look at how the spokes are also bent and scraped in that area. You botched a landing.

Hubs sadly known for breaking spokes like a charm… :roll_eyes:

Bending the flange back will just cause further fatigue, and so it would be better to leave it alone. It should be able to take quite a bit more abuse before failure. Don’t worry about it.

The spokes,on the other hand, should be replaced. They go through fatigue cycles in normal riding that make the area around the elbow weaker. Add clear physical trauma to that and you have a recipe for broken spokes that can lead to good spokes breaking if you don’t catch it in time. The time is now.

I think, if you dont see any 8 in the wheel when turning it, then you are fine. Usually it there should be clearly visible 8 when turning the wheel if this damage arrived after truing the wheel.

I would not worry about that, and ride it.

But if you thinking about changing spokes or the hub, then you can buy both new… If you are already doing this, then correctly, I would suggest.

Depending on how many spokes are bent, I’d probably just ride it. But if it’s more than a couple, I’d replace them and then ride it.

Or if you’re anal like me, I’d rebuild the wheel.

On such a small wheel it is probably not too big of a deal, but trials puts a lot of stress on it.

With that in mind I would replace the two or three bad spokes to preserve the integrity of the wheel on the whole. Since it is a system having a couple of bad spokes in one area like that will create an imbalance in the overall tension, and that will lead to extra fatigue in the currently good spokes.

I’ve seen too many wheels that had a single broken spoke, and after riding (bike) for a few weeks suddenly all of the spokes started breaking. A couple at a time and every day or two. Granted this is on bike wheels, and specifically rear wheels with asymmetric dish.