beginner-type questions, i guess

Well, I am not a unicyclist as of yet, but aspire to be one, riding my bike withotu handlebars in the meantime while i save up my money. Now, I am interested in speed but I dont want my wheel to taco if I were to have to ride off a curb. I also have 34" inseam. SO i was thinking of perhaps the Yuni 29" but I didnt know if that would be versatile enough to use for small bumps, etc. (not two foot drops or anything. Muni seems a bit nuts to me really) Is some other model better in the same price range? Is a 29" reasonable? thanks so much!:slight_smile:

it would probably hold up fine. i think the torker AX is a better deal personally though.
and unless your stuff is porely mantained and you land sideways and weigh a lot you shouldn’t have any problems with either of them with small drops.
a coker (36in) wouldn’t be a bad choice either but they cost >$340

okay cool. thanks. im just 175lb that shouldn’t be a problem then. Yeah, i saw the torker AX is a lot cheaper and I was sort fo curious as to whether that meant lesser quality, so thanks for the information. I appreciate it a lot!

torker is typically not bad. it just ins’t the best. might be for the price range and what you want/ are using it for. should work well though for what you want.

hmmm…Has anyone on these forums actually tried an AX and done a review? I’d like to see some information on them…

You have not yet learned to ride so focus on an inexpensive unicycle that has a wheel size that would be easy for you to learn on. For your size, a 24" would be adequate and quite versatile for a while. It will also let you know if you like unicycling which is a far, far cry from riding a bicycle without holding the handlebars. Minimum requirements are inflatable tire, 140mm-150mm removeable cranks, main cap bearings (preferred over the lollipop style), comfortable saddle, a seatpost long enough to accommodate your inseam, bicycling shorts with lots of padding.

A 29" wheel is a bit twitchy for learning with it’s large diameter and it has slightly less tolerance for balance corrections. You’re not going to be going too fast at first and when you are learning, a postage stamp is as good as a bump so don’t worry about the big wheel. Search around these fora for tips on starting to learn, seat height adjustment, good saddles, how long it may take, and the like. Welcome to the fold. I hope you enjoy some aspect of this versatile sport. Welcome to the best resource you’re going to find.