beginner eBay unicycles

Hi all-
I am looking at buying the Torker LX online (still haven’t decided whether I should get 20 or 24") and have a few questions:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2904&item=7142541913&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

• what state do these unicycles come in? are they fully assembled? Will I have to do any of it myself? What would I need to do it? Can I pay someone to do it? How much (approx)?
  • re: cutting seat height- if I get the 24, I will probably have to cut it a bit (I’m short- 5’2" or so with a 30" inseam). What do I need to cut the seat post (tools), or can I get it done somewhere (what types of places, approx. cost)?
  • am I too short for a 24"? I think practically I would like a 24 (because I’m not looking to do tricks- I’m looking to ride around in parks and down residential streets while others walk/rollerblade), but I hear 20" is easier to learn on (and is better suited to short people)

I am pretty tools-challenged so the easier it is to assemble, the better… if it ends up to be too hard for me to do alone or really pricey to put together then I’d consider a bedford (which would be around $70 canadian more) since I can easily go to Toronto.

thanks!
Tiffany

The lx would be pretty easy to assemble,I think.It will come with the pedals off,the frame off,and the seat off.the wheel and cranks will be alll together.Probally the hardest thing would be putting on the pedals.The only other things are putting the wheel in the frame and tighting the bearing holders.Its probally got a quick release seatpost(if not,its still easy)To cut the seatpost you could do it with a hacksaw,but buying a tubecutter at a hardware store would make it quicker.

I know this sounds complicated,but its not that hard once you do it one thing at a time.It should also come with written step-by-step instructions.Its easy:p

My brother,who is like 5 foot,rides a 24".A 24" would be better for riding distances/with ppl walking.

Im not so sure a 20" is easier,but thats my not so HO.

For crusing around I might even go for a 26 or 28 incher. If you just want to cruise and don’t want to do tricks, I would go for the $89 Sun 28" or Sun 26" on Unicycle dot com. Check this unicycle out: http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=651 and this one: http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=652

Re: beginner eBay unicycles

1. They come almost assembled. You would need to put the post and seat on the frame, screw in pedals, and put the frame on the wheel. Anyone can do it. The only important thing is making sure everything is straight and facing the right way. This is as simple as reading “L” and “R.” You need a couple allen wrenches and a 9/16’’ wrench. If you didn’t want to do this you could take it to your neighborhood bike shop and have it done for about $5.

2. You may not need to cut it. However, if you did, you could use a normal pipe cutter (like plumbers use. Clamps around the tube and spins around it to cut) or a hacksaw. If you use a hacksaw its a good idea to either get a really good mark or clamp something round (seat collar would do) around the tube to ensure a clean cut. This doesn’t really matter though. You can just cut it any way you want, but its nicer to do it properly. A bike shop could also do this for you. I had one done a while ago (because it’s a thomson and they say not to use a pipe cutter because it is internally machined) for $7. The bike shop guy had a park tools cutting guide that ensures a perfect cut and he also sanded down the cut to make it nice. Try your LBS.

3. You are not too short for a 24’'.

You should be able assemble it or have someone do it for you very inexpensively. However, you should talk to Darren. He’ll give you something nice. I think it’s better to spend the money all at once if you have it than trying to upgrade later, especially when you’re mechanically challenged.

I disagree.Sorta.For a short person a 24" would be perfect.

A couple of points on Ebay.

1. Caveat Emptor. Most sellers are ethical. Some are not.

2. Check out http://www.paypalsucks.com. They have an axe to grind, but there are also some valid points scattered amidst the vituperation.

3. Make sure you know the shipping costs. Sometimes they are huge. I’ve seen it range from about $12 (USD) to $40-$50 (USD) for unicycles. Makes a big difference.

I’ve bought 4 unis. Got one really excellent deal (20" myiata gym model) and got burned once. I could argue deceptive pics, but it doesn’t matter. You usually can’t get your money back. Even if you could, the shipping costs - two ways - would still be a big loss.

I’d rather have luck than talent, and once in a while, you get lucky.

Good luck.

Thanks for the assembly tips everyone- well noted! Glad to see that if I go with this option it won’t be too hard (or expensive).

would a Torker LX really be that much of a step down from a basic Bedford? From what I’ve calculated including shipping, duties and customs into Canada, a torker would still be at least $70 ($50 US) cheaper. Yeah yeah, $70 isn’t really that much in the long run… but for a starving student…

good point about eBay too- I have read past reviews on these forums about buying from that specific seller though- seems reputable and everyone has been happy with their eBay torkers thus far. Mind you, I think most were beginners with nothing to compare it to…

Re: beginner eBay unicycles

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:21:26 -0500, “anytiff”
<anytiff@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>- what state do these unicycles come in? are they fully assembled?
>Will I have to do any of it myself? What would I need to do it? Can I
>pay someone to do it? How much (approx)?
Like others said, it’s not very difficult but you need some tools and
some willingness to do ‘technical things’. You could also take the
whole lot to your LBS (Local Bike Shop) and have them do the
assembling. Either way, issues to note:
o The pedals and cranks have an L and an R to them for obvious
reasons.
o The seat clamp, and a possible slit in the seat tube, are to the
rear.
o The bearing clamps should not be very tight, you want the wheel to
run virtually without friction.

>- re: cutting seat height- if I get the 24, I will probably have to cut
>it a bit (I’m short- 5’2" or so with a 30" inseam). What do I need to
>cut the seat post (tools), or can I get it done somewhere (what types of
>places, approx. cost)?
Again, LBS.

Cost (for both issues) is ‘not much’ because it aint much work, ask
them for a quote. Assembling AND shortening the seat post should take
no more than 30 minutes, certainly when done by a professional.

>- am I too short for a 24"?
You’re not. Even a 26" or 28" could fit - but I don’t recommend you
learn on one. Nine-year-olds have ridden Cokers which are 36".

>hear 20" is easier to learn on (and is better suited to short people)
Yes, 20" is easier to learn on but the difference with a 24" is not
dramatic, you the size decision should be guided by your anticipated
use. Also for short people (like you, not ultrashort like an 8 y.o.),
a 24" is better than a 20" for transportation.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“When it comes to the family jewels, you won’t be having fun until they’re having fun. - Jake D”