Beginers Problem/question

Hi, I’ve been unicycling for four days now, and on my third day I got to the point where I could pretty much cycle until I got tierd, and that is my problem, on day three I would get exhausted extremely fast, riding around a small sized basketball court, I just figured it was because I was still using alot of strenght the keep myself balanced since I condider myself pretty fit, but on day four I found I had very good balance could turn well, even weved in and out of some tetherball poles, at the school where i’m practicing, but I can still only do about two laps around the basketball court before my legs start to burn and I have to stop, I plan on continuing to ride and build up my leg mucles, but I jsut wanted to know if this was normal, or if I was dooing something wrong.

your actually doing really great, it took me 2 weeks to get that far

but just practice

youll get better

Your doing better than normal. It does take time for the muscles to develop.

So what your saying is i’m dooing fine and I just need to condition my legs? But still the 200 feet or so that I travel still dosn’t seem that far, and also I got a Sun 26" uni (got it at a local bike shop for 90usd) it seems fine, and I like it alot, but the wheel is kinda thin, 2.25 would a thinker wheel increse my balance, and therfore help me ride longer? Comments whatever.

Re: Beginers Problem/question

Cyberpunk-- Excellent! Now to resolve the excessive leg fatigue, give
some thought to racheting-up your saddle height another 1-3 cm.
That’ll encourage you to put a little more of your weight in the
saddle, and less weight on the pedals. Give it a try. :wink: --carl

Cyberpunk-- Excellent! Now to resolve the excessive leg fatigue, give
some thought to racheting-up your saddle height another 1-3 cm.
That’ll encourage you to put a little more of your weight in the
saddle, and less weight on the pedals. Give it a try. :wink: --carl

Thank you carl, i’ll give it a try.

You probably need to sit down more on the seat. I’ve seen it with a lot of learners, they don’t put all their weight on the seat and are, without really realising, standing up slightly. This makes your legs tired very fast. I’m not sure if this is what your doing or not, but while your riding see if your putting all your weight on the seat. Because riding standing up does get tiring. Once you get more used to riding you’ll become more comfortable and will start sitting down more, also you leg muscles probably aren’t quite used to it yet. So my advise check your realling sitting on the seat and give it time. Hope this helps :smiley:

Oh and if you want tips on all kinds of unicycling, from beginner tips to advanced tricks check out www.unicycle.2ya.com

Peter

I too learned to ride after a few days, but it took several weeks to train my muscles to spin smoothly enough while keeping my weight on the seat. So I couldn’t ride very far because legs would burn out from holding my body weight. Now, when I ride it’s more like my feet move with the pedals as the wheel rolls and I only apply minmal pressure to keep myself balanced on the seat. Keep practicing!

“cyberpunk” <cyberpunk@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> So what your saying is i’m dooing fine and I just need to condition my
> legs?

That’s not it. At this stage, you are just riding inefficiently.
Ride for another week and a half and you’ll be cranking out the miles.
Pay extra attention to all the good tips you’ve seen it’ll only take
ten days :slight_smile:

> I got a Sun 26" uni (got it at a local bike shop for
> 90usd) it seems fine, and I like it alot, but the wheel is kinda thin,
> 2.25 would a thinker wheel increse my balance, and therfore help me ride
> longer? Comments whatever.

I don’t like the tire that comes on that unicycle one bit. Switching
to a Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5 made a big improvement in handling. The
tire was well worth it for me, but don’t expect big improvements in
you ability to ride just by changing tires. Slightly shorter cranks
(140mm instead of 150mm) will make for a smoother ride without
sacrificing control.

I also recommend grinding off the junky clamp (use a Dremel) and
replacing it with one that won’t dent the seatpost and let the saddle
spin.

Take it easy on that unicycle - it isn’t built for any abuse at all.
I bent the rim doing side mounts and broke the hub (crank nut stud)
just riding.

Ken

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:02:07 -0600, “cyberpunk” wrote:

>my problem, on day three I would get exhausted extremely fast

Getting tired quickly is a common beginners problem. Basically your
legs are ‘fighting’ each other to keep balance. The solution, as
others have hinted, is to put more weight on the seat. That, and more
practice so that your balance keeping gets more efficient. Then your
legs have to do less work. Developing your muscles is not a big part
of it, although to some it may feel that that is what happens.

Anyway, you are doing great!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Today (30 December) is the last day this year that is not the last day this year.

Another factor that might effect how quickly you get tired, might be the fact that you are new, and you get super pshyched up just to be riding.

The main thing to do is keep riding all the time, but feel free to take breaks, it is not a bad thing at all.

someone very wisely suggested that the best way to check this is by riding up to a fence or a pole (any form of support) and then holding onto that support
if u feel yourself sitting down some more once u have the extra support, u’re carrying too much weight on your legs while u ride

use that as a test and remember that practise cures most all ills

and welcome to the forum
well done on learning so fast

that’s one more of us and one less of them…

:slight_smile:

Thank you

Thank you all for the help, I’m very, and also not so very, suprised in the unity with unicyclist, I see alot more unity, and help, especialy begginer help in this sport then I do in huge sports, I just got back from work and plan on trying many if not all of your ideas, I also just ordered universe 2, and have whatched many other uni videos (Usualy when I get into something I go all the way ^^) I’ve been looking for a new sport for a long time since motocross got to expensive, and all of my friends stoped paintballing, and I think i’ve finnaly found it.

Thanks again,
Brett

didn’t have much trouble w/ endurance wen i learned, but i would suggest you try to sit harder on the seat, cuz if yer standing up on the pedals, it wears u out pretty quik. also, before u just sit down, make sure to arrange yer “baggage”.