Been Away...Have Some Questions

I’ve been away from unicycling for over a year due to some serious prostate problems. Now that I’m back, I have a couple of questions. There will no definite answers, but I would really like your opinions.

1. With the increased number of ISIS axles and cranks that are available, is there any remaining advantage of Profile hubs and cranks–especially given the still-high price?

2. To what extent does leg length play when selecting a crank length. For example, I’m 5’9", but I have a long torso and short legs. In college, one of my nicknames was ‘Barney,’ for Barney Rubble of the Flinstones. You get the idea. I’ve only been riding trials, but I’m thinking about a muni. In the choice between 150mm and 165mm crank arms on a 24" muni, do my short legs (29" pants inseam) enter into the decision?

Thanks.

1. With the increased number of ISIS axles and cranks that are available, is there any remaining advantage of Profile hubs and cranks–especially given the still-high price?

little, especially given their bad track-record with living up to their warranty claims

1. To what extent does leg length play when selecting a crank length. For example, I’m 5’9", but I have a long torso and short legs. In college, one of my nicknames was ‘Barney,’ for Barney Rubble of the Flinstones. You get the idea. I’ve only been riding trials, but I’m thinking about a muni. In the choice between 150mm and 165mm crank arms on a 24" muni, do my short legs (29" pants inseam) enter into the decision?

I would say the terrain you intend to ride has a far greater influence on crank length.

I can’t imagine a reason to buy a Profile hub these days. They were great when they were the only spline out there, but now there is lighter, cheaper equipment of similar or greater quality.

Leg length can play a small factor in deciding on crank length, but generally the trend these days is to use shorter cranks anyway. So if you were 6’3" with long legs, you might think about the 165mm cranks, but since you have short legs, and most people are running 150mm cranks, stick with the shorter ones.