bedford

There’s an awful lot of hearsay being thrown around in this thread. Let me offer something other than secondhand rumor:

First of all, Darren Bedford is the man. He’s awesome, and does a great job with his one-man operation. Outside of his main business, he has breathed new life into the NAUCC conventions. But it’s too bad he doesn’t have a Web site where you can look up and order his products. I think a lot of people end up doing their product research at UDC before giving Darren a call. I think he’s been selling unicycles since around when the Semcycles came out, which is 21 years ago.

Roger Davies is also the man. I know less about UDC UK, but I do know Roger, and his deep involvement with the sport, and product development. One of my one-wheeled treasures is a handmade carbon fiber Roger Davies MUni. And a couple of carbon seat bases as well. Roger shares his Web technology with UDC US/International, making it easier for both of them to maintain their large, comprehensive online stores.

But what of UDC US? Well, they’re a family business, and they sell to the wider unicycling public. That is, lots and lots of first-time and entry-level unicyclists. These unicycles, which are their primary source of income, are bought by parents mostly; having the concerns parents typically do. Hence the greater attention to safety gear and other kid-oriented things.

But they are not just an entry-level or kids shop. In many years, they are the ones who pioneered the “unicycle business” as it is today. In other words, products designed to price points, and spec’ed together to meet the needs of riders. No, they weren’t the first to sell custom unicycles, but they may have been the first to make custom unicycles “standardized” products you could order without having to piece them together.

Also they were the first to bring nearly all unicycle brands together under one virtual roof. Do you know how hard it used to be to get your hands on good unicycles and parts? Impossible, if you didn’t know they existed. We used to have to track them down ourselves.

Lastly, John Drummond is not an expert or champion rider. He’s also married, with three kids and a mortgage. Darren and Roger may have mortgages too, but you know what I mean. John’s priorities have to be different, and I believe they are in the right order for him and the Drummond family. He is a hero to lots of unicycling dads out there.

From above we learn what we always should have known; all three vendors are capable of making shipping mistakes. More importantly, all three are good about correcting them, and good customer service. Like and buy from whoever you want. But please try to be accurate when dissing the other guys.

Sorry, not true. Tommy Miller used to warn about the same things in the early days of UDC. And the Drummonds learned. Sometimes the box from overseas has parts missing, ill-built wheels, or other issues. They do check. Lots of the higher-end stuff that goes out the door is assembled from parts in Marietta, and is not what came in “the box.”

They both know what they’re talking about. More in certain areas and less in others. I think the two businesses compliment each other extremely well, and it’s nice to know they don’t treat each other as competitors. We should take a lesson from this and do the same.

Ugh, I didn’t remove it. But, they obviously updated the link. Well, it’s fixed.

Mike

Shoulded it say somthing like triplebackflips then? :thinking:

Bedford’s service is truely awesome, but one of the best things about Bedford to many unicyclist is the fact that he is based in Canada, which means better shipping prices(I believe it used to be free shipping if you spent over $1,000, but I’m not sure if that applies to the states or not) not to mention not having to convert everything to our own currency.

So any Canadian will tell you to get your unicycles from Bedford, because they go to him because of cheap shipping, but are suprised by the incredible service, which will keep me buying from Bedford as long as I need unicycles or parts.

The only downside to Buying from Bedford is, as many have already stated, his website, or lack thereof as the case may be. But one thing I can say is that you should at least talk to Darren befor buying your unicycle, anywhere. He has a lot more to offer than you can tell from his site, sometimes at lower prices too.

Darren! You need a website!

Darren said he has someone working on his website. I don’t know when that will happen but it will be awesome when its finally done. He has a ton of different things like shirts and posters that he should have pictures of on his site.

But yeah, the lack of a website isn’t a problem if you already know what you want. Darren is really good about answering questions too. I have only called him twice ever because my mom doesn’t want me making international calls…so I called him with skype from my computer a couple times.:o

what does UDC mean?

THE best shop, enough said.

PM

oh, I see thanks

Unicycle.com :wink:

I peeled mine off very easily… they’re plastic stickers, they don’t even rip.

No offence JFoss but you basically said that they are all good. No one is better than the other and if you say one is worse then you should feel bad about expecting better service because some people have more important things to do with their time than selling unicycles. Not sure if you meant it that way but you kind of put us on a blame trip for wanting high quality service.

only if you peel them off right away and arent already ripped.

hey if you sick of udc the U.S. (the UK is awsome) try compulsion cycles out. u can get anything from udc from compulsion cycles. there great at answering qeustions and will get back to u really fast. u can also get other things from them u cant get from udc. compulsion cycles is the better option if ur sick of udc service.
compulsioncycles.com
check them out

but like bedford dont have a very good webpage up but are working on it and will have it up sometime.

Compulsioncycles.com wepage makes Bedford’s webpage look high-tech.

Nice webpage! you could have just given us their email so we didnt have to know about that site. Im sure their customer service must rock!(hopefully)

i dotn know bedford jsut seemed kinda shady casue they dont ahve any prduct descriptions or anything

I also worry about peoples shadiness when they make uninformed judgements about other people and spell real poorly.

look i broke all my fingers on both hands at one point or another so lay off

There is this guy I know… he lives on this island off the west coast of scotland and he is the coolest person to buy from. His service is brillient, he is just the BEST! he really takes care of you every request, good advice, prompt, accurate, witty and caring. He doesn’t have a website, he doesn’t have a catalogue, doesn’t have land line, doesn’t have a mobile that works when he is on the island! But I still think he is the best person to advise me on unicycles. :smiley:

Roger
ps… I may take the piss a little here but I am being serious as well, Duncan has moved!

All three vendors will give you exceptional service. There is a difference between making a packing/shipping mistake and exceptional service. Everybody makes mistakes. It’s how they deal with those mistakes, and you, that make them good or bad people to do business with.