Becoming a Neighborhood Fixture?

All,

Over the last couple of weeks, since Chris fixed my unicycle, I have been riding more and more around my own neighborhood quite a bit. Just last night, I rode from 4:30 until 6:00, and it was all over the neighborhood, not just the corner I live on. I know people have seen me on the unicycle in the past, but I don’t think about it too much. However, the last 3 or 4 times I have been riding, I have started to feel like some kind of Neighborhood Fixture, at least slightly.

I have had 3 or 4 people tell me “hey you’re a lot better now” and anytime I ride by kids, they start shouting, running and pointing. “Come down here! Ride over here!” So, I do, and then I get applause from 6-10 year old kids. :slight_smile: Very strange. I’ve had two different people stop me and introduce themselves, their family (wife & kids), ask me how long it took to ride, ask me to show them how to get on, etc. One guy even had is son take some extra time to launch his home-made rocket for me. I have had joggers and walkers make the comment that it looked like hard work, and I get more and more people honking and waving, but always in a friendly way. I haven’t really had anybody try to scare me or make joke comments. Most all of the people I speak to mention they have seen me before.

It is kinda cool, but also kinda weird. Even the dogs can tell something weird is happening. I haven’t been away from my own corner more than 4 times now (not counting a little time on the campus nearby), so its kinda surprising.

Anybody else got any experiences along these lines?

Lewis

I go through the same kind of things. I practice in factory parking lots that are close to a McDonalds. Surprisingly there are a lot of regulars at McD’s and they stop and watch or say I’m getting better. I get some truck drivers pulling over and watching for a while as well.
The kids are the best. What tricks can you do? is their favourite line. I thought riding it was enough. Now I’m pushed to learn new tricks. Great motivaton.

Re: Becoming a Neighborhood Fixture?

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:20:02 -0600, Animation
<Animation.1q6wa@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

<story how Lewis gets recognized and recognition in his neighbourhood
snipped>
>Anybody else got any experiences along these lines?

Likewise. In the fist few weeks of my riding around here, I was asked
frequently “Hey, trying again?” (Not exactly motivating, that.) In the
months to follow I got comments that I was improving. I still see a
lot of strangers / new people on my wanderings, and get more friendly
greetings than if I’m on a bike or by foot. And questions about
whether it’s difficult, or how long it takes to learn. I had the young
kids giving applause to me too.

Not everyone recognises me. Some time ago two elderly ladies were
walking their dogs. Me and my girls pass them on the unis. One lady
says to the other: “You see unicycles more often these days. Last week
I saw one in such-and-such park too.” I’m pretty sure that was me, but
I didn’t burst their bubble.

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked automagically from a database:”
“nkvd, NTIS, Verisign”

I’ve been “learning” now for around 4 months and usually get “hey, you’re getting better” and so-on. But, just the other day I was in a local park climbing a quite steep, high grassy hill [very exposed, no trees] and after struggling my way to the top [after much sweating and butt-wobbling] - I heard from way off in the distance, very fainlty “you’re f**king awsome!!!”. It must have been 1km at least, but sitting under a tree were a group of kids with BMX bikes and skateboards, all around 12-13 years old, they were waving and cheering me… I should also mention that it was my 33rd birthday.

Evidently I can still cut it in da’hood.

richardg.

I’m trying to ride around more frequently around “downtown”. A lot of people have noticed my progress. Today I was riding and made 6-7 crank rotations backwards. Wohoo.

People I’ve never even seen before come up to me and tell me how much I’ve improved, etc. One day, my brother and I were riding around the 'hood and some little kids came up and asked for our autographs.

I stripped the threads on one side of my axel, so, recently, I’ve been riding around one-footed. I guess this really scares people b/c I haven’t had anyone speak to me since.

becoming a fixture

in the park we usually ride in, we’ve encountered the odd ‘where’s your partner?’ when either of us venture out on our own
the park seems to have it’s own regular inhabitants and we’ve made quite a few nodding-friends

“Animation” <Animation.1q6wa@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:Animation.1q6wa@timelimit.unicyclist.com
> I have had 3 or 4 people tell me “hey you’re a lot better now” and

I learnt to ride right near my college at university, it’s a pretty small
college, only about 300 people so pretty much everyone knew me already so I
got lots of this sort of encouragement.

> It is kinda cool, but also kinda weird. Even the dogs can tell something
> weird is happening.

I really spooked a horse once, it was fine until I’d just gone past it and
then it suddenly noticed that I only had one wheel not two and spun right
round in a circle.

Joe

>From: Animation <Animation.1q6wa@timelimit.unicyclist.com>

>I have had 3 or 4 people tell me “hey you’re a lot better now” and
>anytime I ride by kids, they start shouting, running and pointing. “Come
>down here! Ride over here!” So, I do, and then I get applause from 6-10
>year old kids. :slight_smile: Very strange. I’ve had two different people stop me
>and introduce themselves, their family (wife & kids), ask me how long it
>took to ride, ask me to show them how to get on, etc. One guy even had
>is son take some extra time to launch his home-made rocket for me. I
>have had joggers and walkers make the comment that it looked like hard
>work, and I get more and more people honking and waving, but always in a
>friendly way. I haven’t really had anybody try to scare me or make joke
>comments. Most all of the people I speak to mention they have seen me
>before.
>
>
>Anybody else got any experiences along these lines?
>
>Lewis

Yup. The first time I rode by someone who said to me, “You’ve improved!” I
was really surprised. First because I didn’t think I had, and second because
I was amazed that anyone would notice. However, it’s good to know that I’m
getting better. Instead of cruising at the pace of a shaky snail, I now
rocket past people with the speed of a terrified turtle.

Last week, there was too much snow and ice so I left the uni home and just
went for a walk. A man I’d never seen before stopped shoveling his driveway
to talk to me. He said, “Aren’t you the one who rides the unicycle?” I said
I was. I was really surprised that he knew that. He
said he’d always wanted to try it so I promised that I’d stop by when
the roads were clear.

This reminds me that years ago, when I first started to ride, a neighbor
friend joked about expecting to see me ride all over the neighborhood. I
told him he was out of his mind – that I’d never have the nerve to do that,
even if I ever did gain enough skill.

Well, never say never…

If I ever get beyond the speed of a trembling tortoise, I’ll let you know. I
don’t think I could ever go as fast as a jackrabbit (well, maybe…if
he’s having a very bad hare day).

Carol M.
Minnesota

MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos:

Ditto

My experience reflects the same sort of responses from my neighbors. However, when my daughter and I are out playing follow-the-leader my neighbors are much more inclinded to make a positive comment. Kids are disarming to most folks and some how give legitimatcy to enjoying life. For a host of reasons I enjoy my rides more when Celeste rides with me but when we ride together through our neighborhood it becomes a community celebration.

Tommy
Memphis:)

When i was learning, just going around a few streets i had a bunch of people staring at me and asking the wheel questions ect. A few others rode it as well. Now i’m riding around more, so not as many people gawk at me, but i still feel like i have a huge sign on me. By the way, if you haven’t found this out yet, never ride around after the olympics after your country won something like hokey. More (drunk?) people are out, so there’s the insults. But if your out of collage or in collage there might not be as much

If all goes well I might be trying my luck on the uni out during Spring Break in Daytona.

broken

I have had alot of attention, specially when im at the local skate park, ridin on stuff and down stuff, or just hoppin on stuff and ridin on concrete barriers, that when I seem to get the most spectators. I find that most of the skaters,BMXrs, and Mountain Bikers, are nice, and are always askin what I can ride. I find that just riding downt the road people look at you, and its sort of weird, but I guess you stand out on a Uni.

Riding went well the first day I was in Daytona for Spring Break. Well until one of the threads on my Lascos stripped out and left me with 1 pedal on (too bad I can’t ride 1 footed yet.) I got to a hardware store and tread to JB Weld it back together but it was too far gone and I was too far drunk.

AccordNSX <AccordNSX.2211y@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in
news:AccordNSX.2211y@timelimit.unicyclist.com:

>
> Riding went well the first day I was in Daytona for Spring Break. Well
> until one of the threads on my Lascos stripped out and left me with 1
> pedal on (too bad I can’t ride 1 footed yet.) I got to a hardware store
> and tread to JB Weld it back together but it was too far gone and I was
> too far drunk.
>
>

You know what this means. PROFILE HUB! :slight_smile:

John

I always get comments while I’m riding my uni. I quite enjoy the attention, really. People will stop me and ask how long it took me to learn to ride, or what it’s like with nothing to hold onto. Then I always get the infamous “Hey, you lost a wheel!” comments. I’ve recieved a few negative ones, mostly this one group of guys that go “join a circus!”. That gets a bit annoying, but the positive feedback I recieve from it faaaaarrrr outweighs the negative. I love making people smile, and I do it with little to no effort when I’m riding my uni :).

I’m also officially known as the girl with the unicycle now (As you may have guessed, I live in an incredibly small town.)

Jess