BDL productions magazine research

Hi guys. after working with a one of the unicyclists on this forum, ive decided to come on here myself to do the market research.
heres the brief:

BDL productions (who own broad day light video, who you may or may not have heard of) are looking to produce a unicycle magazine (provisionally called “R Evolution”), which will mainly be distributed in the uk, but will be available anywhere else mail order from us. the format is going to be similar to that of uk magazines such as ride, document and dirt. ie mainly photo based.
at the moment we are talking to various different organisations about funding.
what we want from you guys is submissisions, feedback, ideas, and especially any ideas about where we can get further funding.

and to answer the following questions:

1)would you be willing to buy a unicycle mag?
2)how big do you think the demand for a mag is?
3)what would you like to see in the mag?
4)how much do you think it should retail for?
5)how often should it be produced?
6)would you consider submitting articles/photos for it?
7)should it be on general release, eg wh smith, or mail order only?
8)would you consider the exposure of the underground scene through magazine coverag a problem to unicycling?
9)do you see the opportunity for future growth of the unicycle scene?
10)do you know of anyone who would want to invest or advertise in the mag?

we need your help to get this off the ground guys, so if you want it, you have to work for it as well as us, and who knows, its all volunteer based for now, but when we get up and running, theres carreers in unicycling available here!

thanks.

Wyl, BDL productions

Re: BDL productions magazine research

Yes.

Small.

Everything: MUni, Trials, Freestyle, Touring, and Circus. Profiles of people and clubs, technical articles, tour and event coverage, product reviews, etc.

Depends on frequency. If quarterly, no more than 8 USD. If 6 times per year then no more than 6 USD. If monthly, no more than 4-5 USD.

Ideally monthly.

Yes.

Don’t care.

8)would you consider the exposure of the underground scene through magazine coverag a problem to unicycling?

No. Are these undergrounders criminals of some sort?

Yes.

No.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Alright North! I met you at BUC11, I was one of the Scottish guys.

I’ll answer your questions for you…

Definitely.

Not that big but enough to keep it running.

All aspects of unicycling and no circus stuff unless it involves fire!

I would happily pay £5-10quid for such a mag.

Bi-monthly?

I certainly would!

WH Smith would be excellent but I think mail-order is more likely.

Not at all as its pretty much only going to be unicyclists buying the mag.

Yes.

Roger?

Hope this helps.

T.

it wasnt me that wrote that folks, just the bloke im in talks with to produce it. i might demand the first front cover tho!
from our discussions, it looks like its going to go ahead, funding is being searched, loans taken out, whatever…
it also looks like its going to be trials/street/muni/flatland based, monthly or bi-monthly, distributed through whsmith, but probably on a request basis, or through mail order… and costing about £3.50 ish… but im not supposed to say all that cos it might influence the market research, which the man needs to show his bank manager for a loan or something. but because theres a niche in the market it should be able to stay a float small scale, though not very profitably. it all looks good from what ive seen, but the man needs our help.

> and to answer the following questions:
>
> 1)would you be willing to buy a unicycle mag?

yes

> 2)how big do you think the demand for a mag is?

small/medium
Is there any other in the UK?

> 3)what would you like to see in the mag?

muni / trials / freestyle. Tips / Tricks etc. Big + would be maps/routes etc
of good rides.

> 4)how much do you think it should retail for?

Depends on format. £4

> 5)how often should it be produced?

Monthly

> 6)would you consider submitting articles/photos for it?

Yes, after getting a lot lot better

> 7)should it be on general release, eg wh smith, or mail order only?

Don’t mind.

> 8)would you consider the exposure of the underground scene through
> magazine coverag a problem to unicycling?

errr, underground scene?

> 9)do you see the opportunity for future growth of the unicycle scene?

yes

> 10)do you know of anyone who would want to invest or advertise in the
> mag?
>

nope

• Yes

• Big amongst unicyclists

• Tutorials, event reports, new tricks

• Once every 2 months

• Yes, particularly some of the trials obstacle building instructions I’ve done (I’d make them look prettier) and other tutorials maybe.

• No as mainly only unicyclists will be reading the magazine.

• Yes, but semi-slow growth.

Andrew

It’d be cool to have a magazine but way too hard (and expensive) to get it out to Australia.

• Yes, providing it’s not too expensive me living in Australia and all.

• Pretty small.

• Tutorials, tips, product reviews, new tricks, anything related to the diferent styles, interviews/profiles of some of the better riders, and lots of photos! Buy a skating magazine and take a look at that and follow the same setup and add in a bit more!

• I would be willing to pay $10 for every issue providing it’s of reasonable quality. It would have to have quite a bit of content to read though, not just photos.

• Once every 3 months or so.

Definately, not sure what I could do but happy to try and submit something, even if I won’t be able to get a copy here in Australia.

• Uh… not really sure what you mean but prolly not only mail order.

• Not quite sure what you mean here either.

• Yeah it would help, but not if it’s only mail order.

• Not particularly, whoever sponsors Kris Holm would prolly do it, I can see the benefits for them.

Yes

Small, all over, medium among unicyclist

Pictures, product reviews, writings with pictures from different trips, tutorials

3-10£

Every second month

Yes

Mail order only

Nope

Yes, but not big, only unicyclist will buy it

No

Hmmm…

Definitely to start with, for the novelty. Whether I kept doing it would depend on whether it contained anything more than what this forum provides anyway.

Incredibly tiny

EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeverything

Impossible to say without knowing what’s in it. I was thinking the same price as cycling magazines, but they have much more opportunities for reviews of products and adverts. Counting all possible advertisers for this would seem possible using only one hand…

Quarterly. I just don’t think there is the material for any more.

Possibly.

Don’t care. Probably easiest all round mail order only, although that would exclude any random purchases by people who just happen to see it for sale somewhere (likely? I dunno)

I’m crying inside…

Yes, but with the high entry barrier it’s not going to be very much.

See last part of [4]

Phil

Columbia Trail

Oops (again). Never mind.

do any of the mtb magasines have a regular unicycle column?

if they don’t then i’d take it as an indicator that the world just isn’t ready for a mainstreem unicycle magasine.
if they do then the time is right.
just spectulation of course.

of course it dosen’t have to be mainstreem to be fantastic.

and i’d probably buy it if i could get it mail order from a unicycle supplier. i don’t do subscriptions.

bi monthly would be cool but realisticly it wouldn’t matter how often it was produced.

its also quite likley i’d contribute some material once in a while.

there is a real lack of up to date documentation on unicycling, in terms of cataloguing tricks all we have is the skill levels and they suck.

the kind of content i’d like to see is:
tutorials on new tricks, maintanance tips, realy amazing pictures,information about events. some product reveiws.

good luck.!!

Maybe a .pdf version could be made available for overseas buyers?

Andrew

On Fri, 14 May 2004 07:12:58 -0500, “north” wrote:

>1)would you be willing to buy a unicycle mag?
Maybe. There is already so much in this newsgroup. Also, I could
become a member of the USA to get OWW but I haven’t done it.

>2)how big do you think the demand for a mag is?
Overall, small. Among unicyclists: don’t know. Maybe ppl react
enthusiastically now but will that last?

>3)what would you like to see in the mag?
Not only pics! Interview, tutorials, event reports, future events
calendar… The same stuff as the ‘better’ threads in this forum but
then in a more ‘timeless’ fashion, more crystallised-out.

>4)how much do you think it should retail for?
Depends on content. 2 - 5 € maybe.

>5)how often should it be produced?
6 or 12 per year.

>6)would you consider submitting articles/photos for it?
Yes.

>7)should it be on general release, eg wh smith, or mail order only?
I suspect too little demand for general release.

>8)would you consider the exposure of the underground scene through
>magazine coverag a problem to unicycling?
Not sure what you mean.

>9)do you see the opportunity for future growth of the unicycle scene?
Yes but largely unrelated to this mag.

>10)do you know of anyone who would want to invest or advertise in the
>mag?
No but manufacturers, distributors and also performers come to mind.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the comfort of Savage unis

I’d like to see a magazine like that become a success. Mainly to be able to keep a good record of the community. If someone in a couple of years wants to know how unicycling expanded from curcus arts into the olympics it would all be there in writing. It would also be good to have things of lasting value in print. Sometimes it’s more convenient to go look something up in your binder than having to go turn the computer on.

I’d probably buy the magazine, and a lot of other people would too, but I doubt unicycling is big enough for it to make any real money.

Yes

Large in the unicyclist community

A bit of everything really. If it going to be a success, you will have to target a larger audience than just trials/muni riders
I would also like to see extreme juggling (fire clubs on giraffe muni??)

between £3 - £4

Depends on material. I would rather have a nice full mag quarterly, rather than a little mag every month…

Indeed

Mail order. Wont it cost to get it into smiths? (I don’t know how they work), but I doubt people would buy it unless they did unicycle… if it was going to smith, it would have to be a small number, or else you would get a lot of waste (I guess)

8)Would you consider the exposure of the underground scene through magazine coverage a problem to unicycling?
It might get some people interested in unicycling if it was in Smiths, but if it was mail order, would that still be underground? I’m not to bothered though

Yeah,

Roger? municycle.com? The problem with advertising is that almost everyone in the unicycle community know of all the shop (don’t they!?), so again if it was in Smiths, I think people would be more likely to advertise in it.

BTW, is it going to be a ‘proper’ mag, with glossy cover etc? :stuck_out_tongue:

Joe,

Hey North, it’s fantastic to hear someone is going to so much effort for this little sport of ours, both with your video and mag ideas- I take my sombrero off to you!

Of course!

A big proportion of the uni (maybe juggling etc?)community would want it I think.

Everything unicycle related, all styles, tips, hints and how-tos, letters, adverts, bios, profiles, competitions, interviews, product reviews EVERTHING!!!. I think making it trials/muni specific would severely limit its appeal. It’s only a tiny portion of a tiny sport after all.

Hmmm, depends if you wanna make actual profit or are just happy to break even with a bit of change. £5 to £10 depending on how often it was produced.

Everyday! :smiley: As said before, I’d prefer a quarterly mag with some meat to it, than a small mag. If you could fill it out ith quality stuff tho I guess bi-monthly would be cool, if not unrealistic maybe.

Yeah… wouldn’t do much for the mag I don’t think tho!

Depends which would be cheaper, makes no difference otherwise.

Nah, s long as it doens’t portray the sport in a way that could reasonably be percieved as bad.

Of course!

Unicyclist.com, municyle.com, unicycle.com, Bedford.

update

been showing your reports to my man in the know, heres his feedback:

as for profit, hes not interested in making anything at first, he’d be happy to break even, im working on it with him for free, and his hope is that many other unicyclists would do the same. the basis for all this is it takes a lot for the mag to not just die in the first few months, and once it is established he can start paying contributors and making a profit himself.
its definately going to be a full scale glossy mag, probably bi-monthly to get the content, and he’ll make it available to anyone, anywhere if they want it, on a small scale, bdl are prepared to subsidise the postage to Oz or the usa, to get an established fan base over there, so dont worry guys. its getting there, Wyls researching printers/publishers at the mo…
thanks for your help guys, keep the feedback coming.

That is awesome!

North, you are truely great!

Joe,

That’s a good question. But I don’t know that the mountain bike (magazine) market is the same as the MUni market. A lack of interest in a mainstream bike mag does not necessarily mean this idea does not have hope.

The Unicycling Society of America has been doing it since 1973. There’s a lot of experience in that “market” to indicate what the pitfalls may be in doing a magazine venture.

The Skill Levels aren’t intended as a catalog of tricks. Neither is the Standard Skill list, but it’s a lot more extensive. As far as I know, nobody is compiling a listing of every trick people come up with.

Of course. I already get several, from non-profit unicycling organizations in the USA, Japan and (occasionally) Denmark.

I don’t know if there’s enough there yet. You can only try and see. How many copies do you need to sell to break even? If you keep the scope wide you will of course appeal to a larger number of unicyclists. It can be a MUni magazine and still cover everything from learning, to doing tricks, to forming clubs and how to work with them, to the obvious stuff.

Pictures (color would be nice, at least on the cover), stories of what riders are up to, information on upcoming events, how-tos on everything, equipment reviews.

I can’t speak for the UK. Obviously it will be more than a mainstream mag. Unlike mainstream mags, this one won’t have an alternative title to compete with. It will be produced in much smaller numbers, so expect it to cost more. In the US, we have a hard time getting people to cough up $15 for a membership, which consists mainly of four issues of On One Wheel.

Quarterly or bi-monthly.

I might, but if it’s a profit-making venture I will expect to be compensated. It is very easy to post to a newsgroup. It’s quite a bit harder to get people to write complete articles that they know will be in a permanent medium. The people who do will need to be rewarded!

I know little of WH Smith, but it is obviously a mainstream store. To produce enough copies to have two or three in each store might require a production run of many times more than you have readers for. Obviously the exposure would be tremendous, and would help promote the sport (and advertisers). But I don’t think it would be a moneymaking proposition at the moment. Beyond that, I think it should be made available in every way that works.

There is no underground scene. Either that or it’s basically all underground. I think you have to have something aboveground for there to be an underground. Coverage will not hurt us.

It’s growing as we speak. It will never be huge like skateboards or Razor scooters due to the barrier of entry (it’s hard to learn). But there is still a lot of potential out there for much larger numbers.

Yes. Depending on where it’s going and how it will be distributed, certainly Unicycle.com would be interested and probably others.

The UK is relatively small. If you make a magazine, I highly recommend aiming it at the English speaking world. There are more mountain unicyclists over here than in the UK. Even if the distribution is only UK-based, make it a mag about unicyclists everywhere and you’ll not only increase the market, you’ll get a better chance of getting quality submissions with lots of variety.